OT - CL&P said... | The Boneyard

OT - CL&P said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
let there be light - and there was light!

76 hours later, our power is back on. I will never, ever, take the luxury of having electricity for granted again.

We were somewhere in the last 648 customers to get power back in Manchester. As of right now, 313 are still without power. I do consider myself fortunate as there are some folks in the state who may not have power back for another week.

Tomorrow will be a half day of work, then cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer. Glad garbage day is Friday. That appliance is not smelling too good right now.

Hope everyone else still without power gets back on line very soon. And that this is the last hurricane / tropical storm to make landfall anywhere this year!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
At 5 pm the radio said the most recent announcement was that there were 286K CL&P customers still without power and another 50K United Illuminating customers still in the dark. Some towns (Bethany, Stonington, Clinton, couple others) still have 100% customers without power and a number of towns on the shoreline like Madison and Westbrook where 90% of the households are without.

Reaction Score
Hard not to complain when you are going through it, but others have it so much worse that, really, I shouldn't complain. Nothing you can do but wait it out. I feel for all those folks who may face this for another week. I think if it went on much longer for us, I would have checked into a hotel like others have done.

Reaction Score
I have heard from some employees that I know that work for CL&P that this is dragging on because there are some day time employees that are "dragging their feet" because those working during the over night hours are compensated much better than the daytime workers. And which shift you work is not your decision.
Interesting if true....oh the power of these unions!

Reaction Score
I have heard from some employees that I know that work for CL&P that this is dragging on because there are some day time employees that are "dragging their feet" because those working during the over night hours are compensated much better than the daytime workers. And which shift you work is not your decision.
Interesting if true....oh the power of these unions!
I haven't heard from anyone, but the newspaper detailed the number of crews and crew personnel per population, and it's no wonder why power is still out. Every other state is using 2x the manpower we are. Trying to save a few bucks? Just inept?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
let there be light - and there was light!

76 hours later, our power is back on. I will never, ever, take the luxury of having electricity for granted again.

We were somewhere in the last 648 customers to get power back in Manchester. As of right now, 313 are still without power. I do consider myself fortunate as there are some folks in the state who may not have power back for another week.

Tomorrow will be a half day of work, then cleaning out the refrigerator and freezer. Glad garbage day is Friday. That appliance is not smelling too good right now.

Hope everyone else still without power gets back on line very soon. And that this is the last hurricane / tropical storm to make landfall anywhere this year!

its mentally draining to a point... when you're use to cell, laptop, tv, dvds, the fridge etc. its tough!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
After 4 days of no power, no shower and no tech stuff it was time time move to a motel. The last I heard we may get power by the weekend. I also heard a report that CL&P is planning on asking for a rate hike to pay for the cost of repairs. That takes serious stones considering their ineptitude.

As an aside, I feel like the kid that goes off to school and comes home to find that his parents have moved leaving no forwarding address.

Reaction Score
Didn't lose power in Stratford, so I took my generator to the other side of the state Tuesday. As my friends get power, it's getting passed around to someone else without...
It's really starting to get around a bit as people are getting connected, but one friend told me, sooo many trees are down along his street he can't imagine getting power till well into next week. Luckly he bought a generator the same day I got mine, about 5 years ago...:)

Reaction Score
We finally got our power back about 7-7:30 last night. What was so frustrating is the house behind us had power since Monday! Our power lines come in from a different line I would guess. I feel for the people who are still powerless. We have city water and a gas camping stove so we made out o.k., plus hot showers at the h.s.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
No power and few signs of progress in on the Salem/Colchester border. :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
After 4 days of no power, no shower and no tech stuff it was time time move to a motel. The last I heard we may get power by the weekend. I also heard a report that CL&P is planning on asking for a rate hike to pay for the cost of repairs. That takes serious stones considering their ineptitude.

As an aside, I feel like the kid that goes off to school and comes home to find that his parents have moved leaving no forwarding address.
Not sure that it is ineptitude. The breadth of the area affected by this storm is huge. That means the normal practice and the ability to draw in repair crews from other regions is greatly compromised.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We just got the power back on after loosing it early Sunday morning. Newtown still has about 60 percent of the population out.

Next step, back up generator!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Not sure that it is ineptitude. The breadth of the area affected by this storm is huge. That means the normal practice and the ability to draw in repair crews from other regions is greatly compromised.

Ineptitude is an opinion shared by everyone in my part of the state. The response from CL&P was a bigger disaster than was the wind. They were totally unprepared, understaffed (at least with worker bees, I'm sure they have lots of suits) and worst of all, they were an absolute public relations nightmare. I heard the first selectman from Preston give them an F- in communications and another local mayor say that the CL&P liason with his office was worthless. I spoke with our town fire marshall and he said his crews couldn't clear main roads of fallen trees because they couldn't even get a POCO guy to make sure the downed wires were safe.

Trust me, there will be a come to Jesus meeting between local and state and CL&P suits in the near future. They have already backed off a bit from their "rate increase" bullcrap. One hopes that when the dust settles CL&P gets broken up into smaller regional utilities and CEO Butler decides to fall on his sword. Of course he's so friggen' incompetent he'll probably miss.

Reaction Score
Was headed down to Waterford friday at 11am, there had to be 100+ bucket trucks there, just parked at the race track.Then went over by Sears in the mall and there was about 30+bucket trucks there.... parked. I guess no one told anyone where to go.That was a big group of crews just being wasted.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Was headed down to Waterford friday at 11am, there had to be 100+ bucket trucks there, just parked at the race track.Then went over by Sears in the mall and there was about 30+bucket trucks there.... parked. I guess no one told anyone where to go.That was a big group of crews just being wasted.

I can't vouch for the veracity, but I heard a woman on a radio call in show say that she stopped and talked to a bunch of guys (15 trucks) hanging out in a BJ's parking lot on Thursday, They had arrived that morning from Kansas and were waiting for somebody to tell them where they were needed. Apparently they had been waiting for some time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is indeed a problem when you start wasting out of state resources, many of whom are a long way from home to help. Does UI still exist, if so, how are they doing?

Reaction Score
That is indeed a problem when you start wasting out of state resources, many of whom are a long way from home to help. Does UI still exist, if so, how are they doing?
They exist but only provide power to about 8-10 towns in the greater bridgeport area. Apparently about as inept with this storm as CL&P has been.
h2Oburyhuskyfan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul