Cisco Modem/Router Combo | The Boneyard

Cisco Modem/Router Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As part of the switch to Directv, I kept Cox Cable as my internet provider.

I had been using a separate modem and router for wi-fi in the house and never had any problems.

I had to turn in the modem along with the cable box today and got a Cisco DPC3825 modem/router combo.

Internet on my desktop works fine.

Unfortunately I can't get the wi-fi working. My laptop recognizes the computer name associated with the router and accepts the password. My network map on the control panel shows a connection and strong signal strength, but I still have the dreaded red X on the link next to the computer and it doesn't show me receiving any bits from the router.

I have a feeling (like 99% of my computer problems) that I have a box checked or another simple task skipped but I'm so far into the trees I can't see the forest- or something like that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Do you have wi-fi working on anything else (phones, smart tv, etc.)? If you can't get anything else to connect to the wi-fi, there might be some setting on your router where you have to actively accept devices by their MAC addresses. Usually you have to choose to enable that as opposed to it being standard but that's something that could cause it. We used to use that setting on my dorms router to stop people from leeching our wi-fi and sending us over the bandwidth limit at UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As part of the switch to Directv, I kept Cox Cable as my internet provider.

I had been using a separate modem and router for wi-fi in the house and never had any problems.

The modem is approved by Cox and if the desktop is running, I assume the modem has been provisioned and is working properly. I am also going to assume that you're running ethernet to the desktop and that the light on the port your using is solidly lit.

I will also assume that you know that the device has WPA security enabled by default? The SSID and Passphrase that you'll need to connect are printed right on the Cisco label on the bottom or back.

Now, is the wireless link light blinking or off entirely? And as Mets asked, can you successfully connect with a phone or tablet? Have you tried hooking the laptop up to the device via ethernet and running through the set up procedures?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do you have wi-fi working on anything else (phones, smart tv, etc.)? If you can't get anything else to connect to the wi-fi, there might be some setting on your router where you have to actively accept devices by their MAC addresses. Usually you have to choose to enable that as opposed to it being standard but that's something that could cause it. We used to use that setting on my dorms router to stop people from leeching our wi-fi and sending us over the bandwidth limit at UConn.

The modem is approved by Cox and if the desktop is running, I assume the modem has been provisioned and is working properly. I am also going to assume that you're running ethernet to the desktop and that the light on the port your using is solidly lit.

I will also assume that you know that the device has WPA security enabled by default? The SSID and Passphrase that you'll need to connect are printed right on the Cisco label on the bottom or back.

Now, is the wireless link light blinking or off entirely? And as Mets asked, can you successfully connect with a phone or tablet? Have you tried hooking the laptop up to the device via ethernet and running through the set up procedures?

Thanks for the heads up from both of you.

Mets1090- I've tried it both with the MAC Enabled and Disabled. According to the 104 .pdf set up file, I can enable MAC and that means I can enable only devices with the authorized address.

Fishy- I've got all the indications you've described.

I can get my laptop or cell phone to recognize the signal and I can actually enter the password and successfully connect. But nothing is being transmitted from the router to the wireless devices.

thanks for the suggestions.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But first....I want you to actually unplug the Cisco's power source and then just let it sit for five minutes. Disconnect the desktop from the ethernet port for now.

Power it back up - wait a little until all the various lights are lit and then try to connect to it with the laptop via wifi.

If that doesn't work, then connect the laptop to the router via ethernet and report back on whether you can get online or not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But first....I want you to actually unplug the Cisco's power source and then just let it sit for five minutes. Disconnect the desktop from the ethernet port for now.

Power it back up - wait a little until all the various lights are lit and then try to connect to it with the laptop via wifi.

If that doesn't work, then connect the laptop to the router via ethernet and report back on whether you can get online or not.

Thanks for the patience and the help. Amazingly enough, I cut my teeth learning how to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair electrical and electronic systems on Navy aircraft. Simple stuff like a network of 5-6 computers, each with multiple microprocessors, 40-50 sensors, switches, transducers, transmitters, solenoids, actuators and wires, cables and connectors of every variety.

Neither my cell phone or the Mrs's cell phone can log on to it either, so I'm thinking it's the router more than the modem or the laptop.

Unplugged the gateway and waited 5-6 minutes and then reconnected- no joy, same problem.

Again, my laptop finds the signal, allows me to select it, enter a password and then says connection successful.

I get right on the internet when I connect the ethernet cable to the gateway.

When I go to the control panel and open up the Network and Sharing Center I get the picture of the laptop with a green line going to the gateway, but a red X between the gateway and the internet globe icon.

Also, when I go the wireless connection line on the same page and click on view status, it shows no bytes of data received and a minimal amount sent.

Next?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
By the way, both the gateway and laptop are set up with WPA-2 personal security and AES security.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One last bit of info.

From my laptop I ran the Windows Network Diagnostics tool and I got the following response-

"Window tried to reapir but a problem still exists. Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server. Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response."

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Is it giving you some sort of limited connectivity message if you hover over the router icon? I had that happen with both my laptops consistently when I would switch which router I was connecting to in different dorms on campus. Never did figure out how to actively fix that, but it would always fix itself after a couple minutes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wait.

Can the laptop access the 'net using an ethernet cable connected to the Cisco device? I think you answered this, but my understanding got a little muddier with your last post.

http://www.ifitjams.com/connect.htm

Peruse that chart. Pay specific attention to the section on resetting the router to default settings. You will eventually have to access the router via the browser.

I think Cisco's address is 192.168.1.1 - passcode is usually 0000. I'm sure that info is somewhere in the documentation that came with it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wait.

Can the laptop access the 'net using an ethernet cable connected to the Cisco device? I think you answered this, but my understanding got a little muddier with your last post.

http://www.ifitjams.com/connect.htm

Peruse that chart. Pay specific attention to the section on resetting the router to default settings. You will eventually have to access the router via the browser.

I think Cisco's address is 192.168.1.1 - passcode is usually 0000. I'm sure that info is somewhere in the documentation that came with it.

Yes, when I hook the laptop up to the gateway via an ethernet cable I get internet access on my laptop.

It's only the wi-fi that isn't working.

From what I understand a gateway is a modem and router in one box. The diagnostics checks keep saying there's a problem with the modem or router.

It's just irritating at this point. It shouldn't be this complicated for basic home use.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, when I hook the laptop up to the gateway via an ethernet cable I get internet access on my laptop.

It's only the wi-fi that isn't working.

From what I understand a gateway is a modem and router in one box. The diagnostics checks keep saying there's a problem with the modem or router.

It's just irritating at this point. It shouldn't be this complicated for basic home use.

I've called in a second opinion, but at some point, throw the duck*ing thing back in the box and get another one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for the help.

I didn't mess around with anything over the weekend.

Here's a simpler curve ball. Looks like cell phones and other wireless devices are picking up the wi-fi.

So, if it's just the laptop not working, what on the laptop could be causing the problem? Keep in mind that the laptop "sees" the signal and connects to the gateweay. But there's nothing being received by the laptop and when I run diagnostics, the laptop says that it tried to ping the gateway but got no response.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the help.

I didn't mess around with anything over the weekend.

Here's a simpler curve ball. Looks like cell phones and other wireless devices are picking up the wi-fi.

So, if it's just the laptop not working, what on the laptop could be causing the problem? Keep in mind that the laptop "sees" the signal and connects to the gateweay. But there's nothing being received by the laptop and when I run diagnostics, the laptop says that it tried to ping the gateway but got no response.

To confirm, everything else works perfectly, but the laptop doesn't connect to the internet?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To confirm, everything else works perfectly, but the laptop doesn't connect to the internet?

Yes.

The laptop recognizes the wi-fi signal, searches for it and says it's connected. On the Network and Sharing Center page on the control panel it shows the laptop with a green line going to the gateway and then a red X between the gateway and the internet. Also, even though the laptop says connected and excellent signal strength, the middle icon (gateway) is labeled unidentified network.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When I go to the 'add a wireless device to the network' I get the following message.

The list contains devices that were detected on your network but are not configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom