Circle the Calendar for Villanova | The Boneyard

Circle the Calendar for Villanova

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, we have games against Tennessee and South Carolina coming up but for the conference focus, Villanova is currently 8-1 with its only loss to Creighton and has 3 losses on the year to Baylor and Iowa State. Add in the upset they pulled last year and I think these two upcoming games, Jan 29 at Hartford and then on Feb 18 in Philadelphia will be viewed with great interest. While we know the coaching staff only takes is one game at a time, this team clearly has an edge and will be ready for anything that Villanova will throw at them and they clearly remember last year's game and the subsequent 'Nova celebration afterwards. Add in Maddy Siegrist who is playing at a 1st team All-American status, 28.8 pts, 9.7 reb, 53/41/85 slash and 31.5 Efficiency ratio (2nd among national players to only Angel Reese and better than Caitlin Clark).

Just some mild down the road games to pique our interest. Now back to our regularly "next game" mode....

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I saw part of the Iowa State game at Mohegan Sun and was not impressed by Villanova.

Siegrist is great but she is carrying the load by herself, and I don`t see her going crazy against us given what we have to throw at her, especially Aubrey.

They were tougher last season with Garzon and Herlihy, who combined for 34 points in that disastrous UConn loss last February. Their current team is a small finesse team, and we should dominate inside.

Reaction Score
Since I've predicted UCONN will be undefeated in the BE and will win the BE title, I have NO worries about any BE team, including Villanova. Last years win by them was a gap in the Cosmos that can't be explained and was rectified by a 30 point win in the title game. The Huskies will not be denied. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Since I've predicted UCONN will be undefeated in the BE and will win the BE title, I have NO worries about any BE team, including Villanova. Last years win by them was a gap in the Cosmos that can't be explained and was rectified by a 30 point win in the title game. The Huskies will not be denied. GO HUSKIES!!!
Yeah, you were 100% confident UConn was going to destroy Notre Dame this year too. You even doubled down when people pushed back.

That being said, I think concentrating on limiting MS will be the key.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, we have games against Tennessee and South Carolina coming up but for the conference focus, Villanova is currently 8-1 with its only loss to Creighton and has 3 losses on the year to Baylor and Iowa State. Add in the upset they pulled last year and I think these two upcoming games, Jan 29 at Hartford and then on Feb 18 in Philadelphia will be viewed with great interest. While we know the coaching staff only takes is one game at a time, this team clearly has an edge and will be ready for anything that Villanova will throw at them and they clearly remember last year's game and the subsequent 'Nova celebration afterwards. Add in Maddy Siegrist who is playing at a 1st team All-American status, 28.8 pts, 9.7 reb, 53/41/85 slash and 31.5 Efficiency ratio (2nd among national players to only Angel Reese and better than Caitlin Clark).

Just some mild down the road games to pique our interest. Now back to our regularly "next game" mode....
I really think this is where Aubrey being available this year is a really big deal. Her size and defensive abilities can be very helpful to limit Siegrist. If you can keep her under her average then it becomes very difficult for Nova.

Reaction Score
Not worried about Villanova at all. Limit Maddy Siegrist to 20 pts and UConn wins by 20+.
Villanova will make things interesting, but I believe in the end, UConn is going to win big.

Reaction Score
Yeah, you were 100% confident UConn was going to destroy Notre Dame this year too. You even doubled down when people pushed back.

That being said, I think concentrating on limiting MS will be the key.
I am always confident UCONN will win and since I believe in this team with all my heart, why wouldn't I say that they will with conviction? I have never and I will never post anything negative against UCONN. UCONN's past records against almost all their opponents is lopsided as can be with UCONN's win percentage, hence my postiveness is justified. If and when they lose a game, than it's on to the next victim. Backed up by the fantastic record of no back to back loses in I believe 1075 games? Correct me if I'm wrong. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Siegrist is the primary weapon for Nova. No doubt a very talented player. Limit her shots and rebounding, Aubrey time, and Nova goes down. Maddy hasn't seen Aubrey before. She is in for a big surprise.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is the primary weapon for Nova. No doubt a very talented player. Limit her shots and rebounding, Aubrey time, and Nova goes down. Maddy hasn't seen Aubrey before. She is in for a big surprise.
Right on point about Maddy facing the Huskies'defense. As I wrote elsewhere on the BY, I don't envy her facing Aubrey, Aaliyah and Co.

However, she did face the Huskies, with Aubrey very much on board, during the '20-21 season, both during the regular season and in the league playoffs. Neither game ended well for the Wildcats, or Maddy.

I'm a big fan of Siegrist and believe, at this point, she's both the frontrunner for BE POY and possibly first-team All-American.

However, come Jan. 29 at the XL Center and later in the rematch in Philly, I suspect she'll be in for a tough time. LOL... those Huskies hoping for post-season honors are granted one favor: they don't have to play against UConn!

Reaction Score
Their current team is a small finesse team, and we should dominate inside.
This is my take on it too. As long as Aaliyah and Dorka are ready to go, we’ll dominate the paint. Aubrey will limit Siegrist, and they’ll have to rely on role players to make up the difference. They’ll be challenging, to be sure, but the size advantage is significant, as well as in athleticism. I think we’re just stronger and quicker than they are.

Reaction Score
Probably belongs on the other board, but of note is that Maddy became Villanova's all-time leading scorer, women's or men's, as the Wildcats crushed Creighton tonight in Omaha.

I still feel 'Nova has little chance of beating the Huskies, but it was clear watching that game tonight that Maddy & Co. are working hard to spread the offensive load. Maddy had a quiet 23 points and her teammates piled it on the Blue Jays.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is having a phenomenal year! Nova is 18-3, and in all 21 games Maddy has been their leading scorer at 28.8 points per game and shooting at 53%. She also is their leading rebounder at just under 10 boards per game. Looking forward to seeing a truly great player- and oh yeah, UConn wins.

Reaction Score
Villanova is going to a huge test. I still think we will win but I am not overlooking them.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Not worried about Villanova at all. Limit Maddy Siegrist to 20 pts and UConn wins by 20+.

If they do, it will be the first time this season. No one else has done it.

Marist and Marquette held her to 21.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom