Cincy and Memphis potential Big 12 bids | The Boneyard

Cincy and Memphis potential Big 12 bids

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Would be absolutely horrible for this already ugly conference.

Reaction Score
Houston, San Diego St, BSU, UCF, USF, New Mexico, UConn, BYU all ahead on Memphis on Big XII wishlist

Reaction Score
Houston, San Diego St, BSU, UCF, USF, New Mexico, UConn, BYU all ahead on Memphis on Big XII wishlist
I got the same idea from reading TCU and Texas forums. IMO Boise should be number 1 on their list; great football, improving basketball, and it makes more geographic sense than UCF or Cincy. But then again they took WVU, so who knows. Their affinity for UCF is intriguing, but I guess they were impressed by the whooping they gave Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
IMO Boise should be number 1 on their list; great football, improving basketball, and it makes more geographic sense than UCF or Cincy. But then again they took WVU, so who knows.

Your map is different than the one I have.

Cincy and Orlando are both closer and easier to get to for Big 12 teams than Boise.

Boise is about an 1,800 mile drive from Austin, Texas - that's about 700 miles further away than either Cincinnati or Orlando. As to flights...no contest. Those are two very accessible locales.

Boise is much more of an outlier for the Big 12 than West Virginia is or that Cincy, Memphis or UCF would be. It's only slightly closer to the Big 12 than UConn.

Reaction Score
Colorado St would make more sense than Boise st. CSU did just approve building a gazillion dollar on campus stadium which I thought was odd.

Reaction Score
The institutions of higher learning which have approved, renovated or started constuction on stadia are real players and realize the revenue potential is very enticing. These organizations have avant garde leadership.

The sledteam still cannot figure out what results oriented leadership needs to achieve.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I haven't followed CR in any depth, but it seems that UConn needs a partner school to get into a conference. Why wouldn't UMass be an obvious addition? Similar size to UConn, just about equally ranked and a similar endowment. It would produce that natural rivalry that we haven't had in a long time and could put the Big10 into the Boston market (not to be confused with Boston Market). With BC being so crappy, there is a void that could easily be filled by a large state school.

OK - I'm ready. Tell me why this is a ridiculous idea.

Reaction Score
I haven't followed CR in any depth, but it seems that UConn needs a partner school to get into a conference. Why wouldn't UMass be an obvious addition? Similar size to UConn, just about equally ranked and a similar endowment. It would produce that natural rivalry that we haven't had in a long time and could put the Big10 into the Boston market (not to be confused with Boston Market). With BC being so crappy, there is a void that could easily be filled by a large state school.

It's simple really. Will P5 schools make more than 30-$40 million a year by adding UMass? The answer is hell freaking no! I'll let others go into the other 100 reasons why adding them as a partner to UConn makes zero sense.

Reaction Score

If UMass is the best partner we have just forgot about joining a new conference

Reaction Score
Umass is brand new to FBS and has won a total of 5 games in last 3 years - worse than us which is hard to do. They don't bring the Boston market at all. They play some of their games in Foxboro which is like 2 hours from their campus (and some complain about Uconn being 30 min from campus). In basketball Umass has not won an NCAA tourney game in almost 20 years. We have an uphill battle that is tough enough despite winning multiple RECENT basketball championships and winning the Big East football conference twice plus going to a BCS Bowl. Being paired with Umass to try to get to a P5 conference ain't happening. The only way we are with Umass is a complete death sentence where more AAC teams leave and they join. That would be around the time I would stop getting season tickets to football and hoops and just pick games here and there because we'd be about dead.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Rutgers proves it's not about winning, it's about TV sets. Locking New England and helping in the NYC market should be desirable to somebody. That's a lot of TV sets.

Reaction Score
why start another thread when theres several others on this forum already going and theres another forum called conference realignment...
Maybe we should get tickets (citations).

Reaction Score
The partner thing is why I'm more optimistic about the ACC than the B1G, although the B1G would be a much preferred choice. There is already a clear partner in my mind: Notre Dame. This selection process showed everyone just how much emphasis is put on winning a CCG; all it takes is one season where they go 11-1/10-2, and they might be fed up enough to accept a full time offer to the ACC. We're number 16, and the divisions are North: UConn, ND, Cuse, Pitt, VaTech, UVA, UL, and odd one out of the 4 NC schools. South is other three schools from NC and everyone else. It's far fetched, but I think a quite probable scenario within the decade.

Edit: one caveat is Cincy. But if they're in the Big XII by then our path would be clear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one watches Umass - even in western Mass. They dont have ANY television contracts and many of their games are not on anywhere. They dont bring anything with regard to TV sets or much of anything else. They are so desperate most of their fanbase is chomping at the bit to get into the AAC!

H

huskymagic

We should be on the phones with both big Big 12 and the B1G once a week. We need to look for a way out and partner with a school like Cinci as a dual package. We don't want to be left out of the new expansion and need to market ourself a lot with the B1G and B12 including scheduling more games with them. Jleves is right about money being very important but partnering with UMASS isn't the answer and will not help us.

H

huskymagic

The partner thing is why I'm more optimistic about the ACC than the B1G, although the B1G would be a much preferred choice. There is already a clear partner in my mind: Notre Dame. This selection process showed everyone just how much emphasis is put on winning a CCG; all it takes is one season where they go 11-1/10-2, and they might be fed up enough to accept a full time offer to the ACC. We're number 16, and the divisions are North: UConn, ND, Cuse, Pitt, VaTech, UVA, UL, and odd one out of the 4 NC schools. South is other three schools from NC and everyone else. It's far fetched, but I think a quite probable scenario within the decade.

I know we like to take solace with the whole Notre Dame ACC football full time scenario. However, what makes you think they invite us over Central Florida or South Florida. We don't have many fans among the ACC schools, and they have so many alumni and fans in the NYC area that they really aren't worried about NYC market. Big 12 and B1G are probably our best hope and we need to seriously market ourselves with them.

Reaction Score
We should be on the phones with both big Big 12 and the B1G once a week. We need to look for a way out and partner with a school like Cinci as a dual package. We don't want to be left out of the new expansion and need to market ourself a lot with the B1G and B12 including scheduling more games with them. Jleves is right about money being very important but partnering with UMASS isn't the answer and will not help us.
Hope so.

Reaction Score
Just saw Jacobs article in tomorrow's Courant. Says that Manuel and Herbst should be packing all of the championship trophys for a trip and a pitch to the Big 12 to get one of the spots as they go from 10-12. He says no conference tourney hurt the Big 12. Even Jacobs wants p5 for us. Warde, are you there?

Reaction Score
I know we like to take solace with the whole Notre Dame ACC football full time scenario. However, what makes you think they invite us over Central Florida or South Florida. We don't have many fans among the ACC schools, and they have so many alumni and fans in the NYC area that they really aren't worried about NYC market. Big 12 and B1G are probably our best hope and we need to seriously market ourselves with them.
FSU would probably rather release video footage of Jameis Winston burning down an orphanage after setting a duffle bag full of money gifted from a booster on fire with a lighter he stole and used to smoke Crystal meth than be in a conference with UCF or USF.

Reaction Score
Just saw Jacobs article in tomorrow's Courant. Says that Manuel and Herbst should be packing all of the championship trophys for a trip and a pitch to the Big 12 to get one of the spots as they go from 10-12. He says no conference tourney hurt the Big 12. Even Jacobs wants p5 for us. Warde, are you there?

Nice to see him put pen to page about something important.

After the football's team pathetic loss to SMU I was surprised to see the state's leading sports columnist write about a women's basketball regular season game. Than again I wasn't. The misplaced priorities kinda hints why we are in the position we are in to begin with.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
For laughs you guys can go to the Memphis forum and read their thread about how they are going to be asked to join the SEC.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Nice to see him put pen to page about something important.
misplaced priorities kinda hints why we are in the position we are in to begin with.
Ding ding ding. Has there ever been a school who has paid their women's basketball coach more than their head football coach, besides us? Not saying that Geno doesn't deserve the money(he does). But our priorities are all out of wack.

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. Has there ever been a school who has paid their women's basketball coach more than their head football coach, besides us? Not saying that Geno doesn't deserve the money(he does). But our priorities are all out of wack.
Why would we pay our football coach more than we need to? Auriemma is paid a lot because he's the best women's basketball coach of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom