Cincinnati Pre-Game Stuff | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Pre-Game Stuff

Reaction Score
Cincinnati Women's Basketball Head Coach Jamelle Elliott previews her team's game against #1 UConn.

***************************************************************************************************

upload_2017-2-7_13-50-37.png

UConn has a fine time. Finer than fine in fact. They defeat their opponents by unseemly margins on a nightly basis. And they can’t help it. They are that good. Most of their opponents don’t have a player on their roster who is good enough to make the UConn squad.

The Huskies are led by four players who are each arguably the best at their position in college basketball: 6’3” sophomore shooting guard Katie Lou Samuelson, 6’1” sophomore power forward Napheesa Collier, 6’0” junior point guard Kia Nurse and 5’11” junior small forward Gabby Williams. The long and lithe Samuelson is basically Jerry West incarnate. Collier is a smooth, versatile low-post player similar to UConn legend Rebecca Lobo. Nurse is a Stockton-esque facilitator who can drive like Sheryl Swoopes. Williams has never played a bad game. She is a steady presence on both ends of the floor who reminds me of Ohio State legend Katie Smith.

Never mind all of this. Cincinnati is a vastly improved team with a strong core of talent. UC coach Jamelle Elliott has built confidence and courage into this bunch. Plus, as a product of the UConn program, she knows all of their tricks and will not be fooled by Geno’s wizardry.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Excellent interview with Jamelle. She has the right attitude concerning this game. Her team is improving, but they still have a long way to go, as do all of the other teams in the AAC. There is still a large gap talent wise between the two programs. She's not at the point yet where she can compete for the same recruits that Geno does. UConn is (and has been) the best program in WCBB. Cincinnati is a program on the come, still a work in progress.

When I review the day's game scores, I always look for the Bearcats to see how they're doing. I root BIG time for Jamelle and her program, and wish them nothing but he best in the months and years to come. I look forward to the day when the Bearcats EARN an AT-LARGE bid into the NCAA Tournament. :cool:

Reaction Score
Clayton Trutor, the author of the piece, concludes: "My prediction: Cincinnati: A Lot. UConn: Not much." Wonder if he's a betting man, and, if so, I could be convinced to cover his bet....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clayton Trutor, the author of the piece, concludes; "My prediction: Cincinnati: A Lot. UConn: Not much." Wonder if he's a betting man, and, if so, I could be convinced to cover his bet.....
I dunno Bags. I'm thinking he just forgot to end it with a :rolleyes:. For his sake, I hope so. :eek:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Clayton Trutor`s comparisons:

Lou to Jerry West
Collier to Lobo
Nurse to Stockton
Williams to Katie Smith......

are LUDICROUS. Especially Williams to Katie Smith. Maybe Lou to Katie Smith, but not Williams. Has he ever seen a UConn game?

Also states Williams has never had a bad game. Uuummm, there was this one against Tulsa.....

F

faninAL

I really like Jamelle Elliott we should send the benches to play the second half.

Reaction Score
Clayton Trutor`s comparisons:

Lou to Jerry West
Collier to Lobo
Nurse to Stockton
Williams to Katie Smith.

are LUDICROUS. Especially Williams to Katie Smith. Maybe Lou to Katie Smith, but not Williams. Has he ever seen a UConn game?

Also states Williams has never had a bad game. Uuummm, there was this one against Tulsa......
I wouldn't call 10 pts, 6 reb, 6 asst, 6 stls, 2 blks and 0 turnovers in 17 min, a bad game.

Reaction Score
...Also states Williams has never had a bad game. Uuummm, there was this one against Tulsa......
I wouldn't call 10 pts, 6 reb, 6 asst, 6 stls, 2 blks and 0 turnovers in 17 min, a bad game.
Gotta agree with @Phillyconn on this one @Huskee11. Take a gander at this and and start licking your chops for tonight's game. :D

Having played only 17 minutes in this game, Gabby was involved in 14 of the highlights, and in some of them she actually played a double role.

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Good lawd.... this poor man should do a tad more research before writing anything about UConn... who I might add has been written about enough that he could have just picked apart 100 other previously written pieces, then just put them back together in random order and had a better written story... though I suppose then it would have been plagiarized... but still better.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

OK, you got me there. Stat line for the game solid and very strong second half.

flag.png

But she was pulled with 3 minutes to go in the first quarter, with no fouls, and one point on 1 for 4 from the line. 7 minutes played in the first half. Not what we have come to expect from her.

I think she will come out with something to prove tonight. Watch out, Bearcats!

Reaction Score
Cincinnati Women's Basketball Head Coach Jamelle Elliott previews her team's game against #1 UConn.

***************************************************************************************************

View attachment 19522

UConn has a fine time. Finer than fine in fact. They defeat their opponents by unseemly margins on a nightly basis. And they can’t help it. They are that good. Most of their opponents don’t have a player on their roster who is good enough to make the UConn squad.

The Huskies are led by four players who are each arguably the best at their position in college basketball: 6’3” sophomore shooting guard Katie Lou Samuelson, 6’1” sophomore power forward Napheesa Collier, 6’0” junior point guard Kia Nurse and 5’11” junior small forward Gabby Williams. The long and lithe Samuelson is basically Jerry West incarnate. Collier is a smooth, versatile low-post player similar to UConn legend Rebecca Lobo. Nurse is a Stockton-esque facilitator who can drive like Sheryl Swoopes. Williams has never played a bad game. She is a steady presence on both ends of the floor who reminds me of Ohio State legend Katie Smith.

Never mind all of this. Cincinnati is a vastly improved team with a strong core of talent. UC coach Jamelle Elliott has built confidence and courage into this bunch. Plus, as a product of the UConn program, she knows all of their tricks and will not be fooled by Geno’s wizardry.

Javaman--whomsoever wrote the piece above --should remember the admonishment of Reverand
Abdul Sadaam Marcus O'riley: If you can't say anything good about (a team) anyone then say nothing at all!!

Reaction Score
I interpreted this article much differently than many posters. All the folks who are involved in Cincinnati sports reporting are fully aware that Jemelle has a long history playing for, coaching for, and coaching with Geno, UConn, and The National Team. I think the piece was intended to be a "take one for the team" and humorous, tounge-in-cheek, piece. But, I have been wrong once or twice before! :rolleyes:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I interpreted this article much differently than many posters. All the folks who are involved in Cincinnati sports reporting are fully aware that Jemelle has a long history playing for, coaching for, and coaching with Geno, UConn, and The National Team. I think the piece was intended to be a "take one for the team" and humorous, tounge-in-cheek, piece. But, I have been wrong once or twice before! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I see that now. I think you are right, Javaman.

Fake news? :rolleyes:

Think I`d be well advised to get out of this thread. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom