OT: - Christmas gifts of the year | The Boneyard

OT: Christmas gifts of the year

Reaction Score
Do they sell an automatic version? I know someone who crop dusts. I guess that would be semi-automatic.

Reaction Score
Maybe a new laptop. Windows 7 runs out next month with new updates and as much as I hate it might have to go to Windows 10. Does anyone else hate that type of change?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wife and I got each other new cellphones on Black Friday. That will take care of Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Anniversary. Hopefully they last as long as our S3 and S7 did too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Get a Chromebook. They're cheap and do everything you need.

Close to everything you need. I love the things, have owned three which I use for 90% of what I do, but prefer keeping local files on a "traditional" machine for photo/video editing.

Reaction Score
Maybe a new laptop. Windows 7 runs out next month with new updates and as much as I hate it might have to go to Windows 10. Does anyone else hate that type of change?

At work...Other than the fact that its slower, the colors are washed out so there's no more good contrast, and if you preview emails, it's all or none (not just unread) ...it's freaking awesome :rolleyes:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
At work...Other than the fact that its slower, the colors are washed out so there's no more good contrast, and if you preview emails, it's all or none (not just unread) ...it's freaking awesome :rolleyes:
None of that is true.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

What are the specs of your current laptop? I can put you on a free win10 upgrade if your laptop is fairly spec’d ( and it probably is if under 8 years old.)

Reaction Score
I have no real wishes for Christmas other than good health for family and friends. I'm not a new car kind of guy. I've always felt cars were like shoes. You need to break them in and they get more comfortable with time. I always hated when it was time to get a new car and give up the old one.
Also as far as computer improvements, I use my laptop mostly, but we still have desktop. I tried everything to improve performance, added memory, formatted and reloaded software. The thing that by far improved performance the most was going to a solid state hard drive. Everything else may have helped but I wasn't really sure. With the hard drive up grade I was sure.

Reaction Score
Get a Chromebook. They're cheap and do everything you need.
Ya, it is a decent laptop. I got a Samsung Chromebook last year for maybe 125 USD or less. It functions as something I can bring to work for the day and the battery will last all day and use word processor.

My wife just had a laptop failure so she uses my Chromebook at night as well. It functions for emails, video streaming, word processing and that type of stuff. There are tasks that can be annoying to re-learn how to do on the operating system but I still have a proper PC too. A Chromebook functions much better if you have cloud storage attached to it, which is really what is recommended and most people I know do that.

I just liked having a laptop I could bring to work and leave at my desk and go home and have a Windows PC at home, don't have to lug a laptop to and from work anymore at least until recently, now my wife uses it at home but I am on a mini-sabbatical until January so it does not matter.

As for Christmas, now that everyone in my family and my wife's family are adults, it is more to just spend time together, we don't exchange gifts so it is not a commercial experience anymore, solely for family.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I'm not a new car kind of guy. I've always felt cars were like shoes. You need to break them in and they get more comfortable with time. I always hated when it was time to get a new car and give up the old one.

I'm wearing shoes from 2006 and my car is from 2007. Shoes are fading fast, but car just keeps on keeping on :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I went to Windows 10 a few years ago, when my W7 failed and they weren't sold new anymore. My computer guy set me up with Classic Shell, so that it pretty much looks & operates the same as W7 for most of what I use it for.

I don't use the touchscreen all that much, rarely use it in tablet mode, and spend far more screen time on my phone, even more so than the tablet or old iPad, ever since moving to 6.2 inch screen size.

I suppose I might like some aspects of W10, but I've never sourced any good teaching on this. Anyone think it's worth it and have suggestions? @August_West?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've always felt cars were like shoes. You need to break them in and they get more comfortable with time.
I was stunned almost 20 years ago when a man named Robert at Manhattan's Eneslow comfort footwear brought to me a larger size shoe than I'd ever worn, when I showed up with several very uncomfortable Ecco shoes I'd been 'pushed into' by an uncaring salesman in Great Barrington, MA while on vacation. Ecco corporate had fielded my complaints and made the referral.

In addition to much else I learned that day, Robert said that a well-fitting pair of shoes should feel good from the moment you put them on. I do agree that hiking boots, like baseball gloves, benefit from breaking in.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have no real wishes for Christmas other than good health for family and friends. I'm not a new car kind of guy. I've always felt cars were like shoes. You need to break them in and they get more comfortable with time. I always hated when it was time to get a new car and give up the old one.
Also as far as computer improvements, I use my laptop mostly, but we still have desktop. I tried everything to improve performance, added memory, formatted and reloaded software. The thing that by far improved performance the most was going to a solid state hard drive. Everything else may have helped but I wasn't really sure. With the hard drive up grade I was sure.
How's your lawn?

Reaction Score
How's your lawn?
??? I don't understand what you thought was angry about my post. "I have no real wishes for Christmas "? I did wish health for my family and friends in the next line.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What are the specs of your current laptop? I can put you on a free win10 upgrade if your laptop is fairly spec’d ( and it probably is if under 8 years old.)

The Windows 10 upgrade tool still works on the Microsoft website.

Supposedly they stopped the free upgrades, but if you use the upgrade tool, it still installs a free, legal version of Windows 10.

Reaction Score
None of that is true.

Some of it, maybe not. But, with Win 10 Outlook, if you preview 1, 2, or 3 lines in email, you can't choose to only do it on unread - it's all or nothing...look it up, people biotch about it all over the interweb. I've looked it up and had others look it up...if you can figger it out for me, I owe you a brew. Also, the colors - at least in Outlook - appear to have less contrast than before - maybe it's just my work machine, but I doubt it, since everyone else on my team has complained about it. It's also slower (although I've recently found out that that is possibly because all of our 'stuff' that was on our computers is now in the cloud. I will agree with you that it is not true that it's freakin' awesome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom