Christian Vital hopes to save his best for his last season with UConn men | The Boneyard

Christian Vital hopes to save his best for his last season with UConn men

Reaction Score
From Dom.

Hurley sat Vital down at times, especially when he drew technical fouls for jawing with officials, or opposing players. They sat down together over the summer to hash things out, clear up some of those “slights.”

“We spent a lot of time talking,” Hurley said. “There was no mediator, it wasn’t like relationship counseling, but it was good. We understand him better and he understands how I need him to carry himself. I just want him to play with the mindset that he’s not at odds with the staff. The staff’s behind him, we just need him to play a certain way and to be a positive leader. We want him to be able to have a year he feels good about.”

Said Vital: “We understand each other a lot more now, we’re on the same page. I think we have the relationship a head coach and a senior guard are supposed to have in a winning program.”

Reaction Score
Dom does a great job with these write ups. Always been a huge fan of Vital’s passion. If he can play efficient like he did at the beginning of last year, then I think he will have a huge year for us. Excited for it!

Reaction Score
The kid tries. He just has some issues to resolve. But he cares and he is willing to put in the work to improve. Unlike Sid, I look forward to watching Vital play. Apparently, so does Hurley.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I understand where UConn was, when I used to watch UConn as a young basketball fan and I wanted to be part of the reason why UConn got back up top. I wanted to try to fix what was going on and be part of the reasons it got fixed. Hopefully, my senior year, I can do that.”

He's got his strengths and weaknesses, as we all do, but he's a tough kid and his heart sure seems to be in the right place. He's hung tough during a rough four years. I hope that we can put together a tourney run for him and Al.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is we need book on the court..Vital is a weapon but a times a liability..especially on the break as he cant finish or distribute ..saw it again against an inferior opponent this past week..turnovers

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bottom line is we need book on the court..Vital is a weapon but a times a liability..especially on the break as he cant finish or distribute ..saw it again against an inferior opponent this past week..turnovers
His distribution has improved steadily over the past 2 years and his finish is a case of approaching the basket with too much speed and not enough quick planning - it's a problem many very good players like Marcus Smart and others have experienced
I think he will be fine and barring injury - will have a big year

Reaction Score
Ummm...we saw the opposite this week. He had 3/1 Asst to TO (best on team) and only two to’s in 30 minutes. Look, I’m not saying he’s a pg or a great distributor, you just chose a backward example.

Reaction Score
Vital's drive & desire will always keep him with the top of my all time favorite Huskies
I really love him for that but I think the biggest thing that hurts him is that his reach far exceeds his grasp If he could play to what he is and his strengths instead of what he thinks he is he would be a far more effective player.

pj

Reaction Score
I really love him for that but I think the biggest thing that hurts him is that his reach far exceeds his grasp If he could play to what he is and his strengths instead of what he thinks he is he would be a far more effective player.

Your reach has to exceed your grasp in order for you to develop the ability to grasp farther away. You have to attempt things you are weak at in order to become strong at them.

Vital is learning. That is what college is for.

Reaction Score
Your reach has to exceed your grasp in order for you to develop the ability to grasp farther away. You have to attempt things you are weak at in order to become strong at them.

Vital is learning. That is what college is for.
Thats so not what it means. You know I'm right, stop being a contrarian.

pj

Reaction Score
Thats so not what it means. You know I'm right, stop being a contrarian.

His coach has to guide him to where the right limit is. I trust Dan Hurley's judgment. There's one goal, winning games, and there's another, developing players. A balance has to be struck. I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to add the other side of the balance.

Reaction Score
His coach has to guide him to where the right limit is. I trust Dan Hurley's judgment. There's one goal, winning games, and there's another, developing players. A balance has to be struck. I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to add the other side of the balance.
I agree completely. The key thing you said is "His coach has to guide him to where the right limit is". This is correct but the player has to accept and know his limitations and all im saying is CV at this point doesnt appear to be there. Hopefully DH can reign him in a bit.

Reaction Score
From Dom.

Hurley sat Vital down at times, especially when he drew technical fouls for jawing with officials, or opposing players. They sat down together over the summer to hash things out, clear up some of those “slights.”

“We spent a lot of time talking,” Hurley said. “There was no mediator, it wasn’t like relationship counseling, but it was good. We understand him better and he understands how I need him to carry himself. I just want him to play with the mindset that he’s not at odds with the staff. The staff’s behind him, we just need him to play a certain way and to be a positive leader. We want him to be able to have a year he feels good about.”

Said Vital: “We understand each other a lot more now, we’re on the same page. I think we have the relationship a head coach and a senior guard are supposed to have in a winning program.”

He's a senior. I would hope he saved his best season for last.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom