Christian Vital Appreciation Thread | The Boneyard

Christian Vital Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
As many on the board have noted, CV has had a wonderful progression this year and has really transformed as a player. I love the way he carries himself and it is clear that he is completely bought in.

Some Interesting Stats...

CV is one of only five players in the American to average 15+ PPG and 5+ RPG during conference play. Of those 5 players, CV is the only one shooting greater than 40% from 3 and also has the highest FG%.

He is also one of only 49 players in the 7 high-major conferences to average 15+ PPG and 5+ RPG during conference play. Of those 49 players, CV ranks 9th in True Shooting Percentage and 5th in 3PT Makes per Game.

One final stat to sum up my appreciation of CV, there are only 10 high major players averaging 15+ PPG, 6+ RPG, and 40%+ 3P (minimum 1 3PA/G). Only two players on that list are shorter than 6'4, Ky Bowman and Christian Vital.

Obviously 9 games isn't the largest sample size but hopefully he continues shooting well from 3 and further demonstrates his improved ball security (1.3 Turnovers per Game in Conference Play versus 2.8 Turnovers per Game in Non-Conference). Love the heart CV plays wit and just really appreciate having him as a UConn Husky.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If he stays next and keeps putting up about 15 ppg he’ll end up in the top 5 for UConn scoring or close to it. Not bad for a kid who was an after thought in his recruiting class by many.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really admiring how well he is squaring up and balancing on his 3s this season.

Briefly looked for a replay of a 3 he hit off a curl yesterday that he squared up and his body was straight like a board. Beautiful.

Reaction Score
CV sure did prove me wrong about him so far this season. I love his hard work and determination. He has played himself into one of the better guards to come to this program. I did not think he would change his shot selection, turnovers and his overall attitude. I can't wait till next year's backcourt.

Reaction Score
If he stays next and keeps putting up about 15 ppg he’ll end up in the top 5 for UConn scoring or class to it. Not bad for a kid who was an after thought in his recruiting class by many.

It can be hard to remember as a fan/coach that heart and grit go a lot farther towards winning than natural talent in the long run.

This kid is a 6'2 shooting guard with average D1 athleticism. There is not a physical reason why he should be performing as well as he is.

Reaction Score
If he stays next and keeps putting up about 15 ppg he’ll end up in the top 5 for UConn scoring or class to it. Not bad for a kid who was an after thought in his recruiting class by many.

Where would Vital go if he is not coming back next year?... I think there is close to a 0% chance he does not return for his senior year.

Reaction Score
His performance in the Wichita State game was a masterpiece. A borderline flawless effort. He was awesome yesterday too.

Really nice to see CV putting the pieces together and emerging as both a better player and a leader.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

Is this accurate? @Storrs South could he get to top 5 scorer?

Reaction Score
Top 10 is more likely, which is still impressive for CV considering where he was ranked.

Currently 861 points away from passing #5 Ray Allen with at least 10 games to play this season. He'd have to go on a serious tear to end this year and probably put up 600+ points next year.

EDIT....
600+ points in a season would be even more impressive considering the guys in that club:

Shabazz Napier
Jeremy Lamb
Kemba Walker
Ben Gordon
Emeka Okafor
Caron Butler
Richard Hamilton
Ray Allen
Donyell Marshall
Chris Smith
Cliff Robinson
Tony Hanson
Wes Bialosuknia

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
thank you.gif

Reaction Score
Amazing how self discipline can dramatically and positively change a players production. This season he's taking shots the defense gives him, not what he gives the defense. I suspect he's holding back just a little in respect for Jalen (Senior, All Conference, blah blah blah). He's the best player on our time this year (Jalen is the best skilled) and has a fire that no opponent can put out. He was staring down the opponent's bench last night, which he is known to do. That's Jeff Adrien stuff. Without him I'm not sure we win more than 5-6 games. The kid rebounds, plays tough, is tenacious and wants to win at all times.

I was hard on him last year, but he's completely turned it around. Not sure what that brief NBA peek taught him, but its obvious he learned something. If he develops a handle then he could be a AJ Price level player.

I for one don't get made at him anymore and certainly nothing like last year. His leash is much longer in my book, and well deserved.

Oh and he's a NYC kid. Nuff said. Respect!

mbb_iowa_6.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Top 10 is more likely, which is still impressive for CV considering where he was ranked.

Currently 861 points away from passing #5 Ray Allen with at least 10 games to play this season. He'd have to go on a serious tear to end this year and probably put up 600+ points next year.

EDIT....
600+ points in a season would be even more impressive considering the guys in that club:

Shabazz Napier
Jeremy Lamb
Kemba Walker
Ben Gordon
Emeka Okafor
Caron Butler
Richard Hamilton
Ray Allen
Donyell Marshall
Chris Smith
Cliff Robinson
Tony Hanson
Wes Bialosuknia
The key is deeper post season runs.

Reaction Score
I really hope he's back next year. Whatever message Hurley and the staff relayed to him, he took it to heart. He's a completely different player and still has room to grow.

Reaction Score
I really really really hope he doesn't decide to declare for the draft again. Hes good, but not that good. One more year would benefit him greatly, would hate to see another Deandre Daniels or Daniel Hamilton case.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I really really really hope he doesn't decide to declare for the draft again. Hes good, but not that good. One more year would benefit him greatly, would hate to see another Deandre Daniels or Daniel Hamilton case.

Daniel Hamilton is in the NBA - can't say it worked out too poorly for him.

I'd love to CV back again. Love his fire and his shot has improved so much.

Reaction Score
I can see CV as a kid who ends up killing it in the G League, if he so chooses that route, and earning some call ups to NBA rosters. And if that happens, you just need one chance.

Reaction Score
I can see CV as a kid who ends up killing it in the G League, if he so chooses that route, and earning some call ups to NBA rosters. And if that happens, you just need one chance.

Not tall enough or long enough to defend his position. I'd call it unlikely at best

Reaction Score
CV’s game is much better suited for college than the pros. Maybe when his time is up here he can sign with Kansas or Duke. I hear they pay pretty good.

Reaction Score
I agree with @tcf15, top 5 seems out of reach and I would put it at 50/50 shot he makes it into the top 10, very impressive as a relatively unheralded 3 star recruit that was overlooked in that loaded recruiting class.
Outside shot he gets in top 3-5 of career games in double figures, though. Currently at 57 (out of 85 total games played) and the top 5:

Chris Smith: 107 (out of 127)
Corny Thompson: 101 (out of 114)
Rip Hamilton: 94 (out of 103)
Ryan Boatright: 93 (out of 128)
Shabazz Napier: 92 (out of 143)

Reaction Score
Not tall enough but he is the best rebounder on the team, by a huge margin.

Yep. And the size and athleticism of pros will negate a lot of his hustle plays under the basket.

He's my favorite player on this team. Crazy to think he is likely to be a pro though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom