Chris Jones MAY have to leave UConn baseball (or not) | The Boneyard

Chris Jones MAY have to leave UConn baseball (or not)

Reaction Score
I have heard through the grapevine that Chris Jones may be through being employed at UConn and broadcasting UConn baseball games on WHUS. For the last few years, Jones has been working for UConn athletic communications as an SID, primarily for baseball. It is not a full time position, but a part time one. His contract is up at the end of June, and it has become something of a union/labor management issue. The union that is involved currently won't allow Chris Jones to keep that position unless he is hired by Uconn full time (it’s a position with no benefits, so the union doesn’t like to extend these contracts so the school doesn’t take advantage of the employee). Problem is, currently there are no full time current positions in athletic communications that Chris Jones can be promoted to.

Also heard that Coach Penders is adamant about trying to keep Chris Jones around. They are trying to create a new full time job for Jones that would keep him involved with both the team and broadcasting the games on WHUS. However, this job spec is all in the very early stages of being created, so who knows how it will all play out or if it will get approved.

Anyone who has been reading the baseball threads over the years knows how I feel about Chris Jones. He and Coach Penders are both godsends to UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the odds on Penders...

Penders vs. the state employee hiring system. Everyone involved will need good luck with that one. Not an easy course to navigate.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve often wondered what kinda money he makes\if he works another gig.

Reaction Score
The kid seems to have a talent for broadcasting baseball. Maybe it's time for him to get actually get in the business. This might be the kick in pants he needs. Good luck to Chris whatever happens.

Reaction Score
The kid seems to have a talent for broadcasting baseball. Maybe it's time for him to get actually get in the business. This might be the kick in pants he needs. Good luck to Chris whatever happens.

Having a 28 year old son doing sports broadcasting, it's a tough business. It takes a long time and a lot of success before you can put enough hours together that you don't have to moonlight doing other part time jobs as well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This would absolutely suck if he is not retained as the voice of UConn baseball
Let him do Football and basketball - even someone who is unfortunately blind with a mouth full of Novocain and marbles would be better than Crispino

Reaction Score
Hoping this is just to formalize things w/ Chris Jones.

>>Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/On-Air Talent (Program Assistant 2), UCP 4

The successful candidate will be required to accompany the baseball team on all of its road trips and will serve as on-air talent for radio broadcasts for all home and away games. Additionally, this position will be required to spearhead logistics for on-air talent during any home broadcasts produced internally, including scheduling on-air talent for various broadcasts and serving as on-air talent for various broadcasts. The individual will also provide operational support for the UConn baseball team, assisting the coaching staff in organizing team travel logistics, serving as the liaison between the team and respective hotels and bus companies, and organizing meals for the team on the road.

As this position will work closely with the athletic communications, marketing and video services staffs, as well as many of our varsity teams, it is critical that the individual possess outstanding communication skills and an enthusiastic work ethic.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field; proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, video editing skills, and exceptional creativity skills; outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal; three years of experience working as a primary sports information contact for a Division I collegiate athletics team; proficient in StatCrew software; proficient in NCAA Live Stats software; experience using a content management system tool such as Netitor; and a demonstrated working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS - Four years of radio play-by-play experience for a baseball team at the collegiate level or higher; and proven ability to multi-task effectively, prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.

APPOINTMENT TERMS - Salary will be commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY - Please apply online via UConn Jobs (UConn Jobs | Department of Human Resources), Staff Positions, Search #2020117. Applicants must submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Screening of applicants will begin immediately.

Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2020117)

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on September 10, 2019.<<

I’m not ready to put the W in Pender’s column yet but Poulin and Wallace are warming up in the bullpen.

Reaction Score
You have to love state hiring requirements. Anyone who doesn't think the preferred qualifications were written to meet Jone's experience and no more -- well, I have a bridge for you.

Good for the young man. He is clearly a benefit to the program.

Reaction Score
Hoping this is just to formalize things w/ Chris Jones.

>>Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/On-Air Talent (Program Assistant 2), UCP 4

The successful candidate will be required to accompany the baseball team on all of its road trips and will serve as on-air talent for radio broadcasts for all home and away games. Additionally, this position will be required to spearhead logistics for on-air talent during any home broadcasts produced internally, including scheduling on-air talent for various broadcasts and serving as on-air talent for various broadcasts. The individual will also provide operational support for the UConn baseball team, assisting the coaching staff in organizing team travel logistics, serving as the liaison between the team and respective hotels and bus companies, and organizing meals for the team on the road.

As this position will work closely with the athletic communications, marketing and video services staffs, as well as many of our varsity teams, it is critical that the individual possess outstanding communication skills and an enthusiastic work ethic.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field; proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, video editing skills, and exceptional creativity skills; outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal; three years of experience working as a primary sports information contact for a Division I collegiate athletics team; proficient in StatCrew software; proficient in NCAA Live Stats software; experience using a content management system tool such as Netitor; and a demonstrated working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS - Four years of radio play-by-play experience for a baseball team at the collegiate level or higher; and proven ability to multi-task effectively, prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.

APPOINTMENT TERMS - Salary will be commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY - Please apply online via UConn Jobs (UConn Jobs | Department of Human Resources), Staff Positions, Search #2020117. Applicants must submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Screening of applicants will begin immediately.

Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2020117)

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on September 10, 2019.<<

I’m not ready to put the W in Pender’s column yet but Poulin and Wallace are warming up in the bullpen.

This to me is simply great, great news, not only for Chris Jones, but for UConn baseball as well. Penders and Jones make a great team in promoting the baseball program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like it is official. I was checking out the UConn baseball roster, and found that Chris Jones has the new job title of Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/On Air Talent. Congrats to Chris!!

Reaction Score
Looks like it is official. I was checking out the UConn baseball roster, and found that Chris Jones has the new job title of Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/On Air Talent. Congrats to Chris!!

Absolutely well deserved. Nice to see they were able to maneuver the process.

Reaction Score
Late to the party on this one, but so happy to see this.

Chris is as talented of a young play by play guy as I’ve ever heard.

I hope he’s able to take the UConn baseball gig and turn it into a UConn broadcasting career.

He gets it in a way an outsider, like this not-Joe D guy we got now, will never get.

If 28 year old Joe Buck could be a national broadcaster, there is absolutely no reason Chris can’t be the voice of UConn athletics.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A huge win for Chris and UConn
win win for everyone!!!!!
Congrats Mr. Jones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads