Chris Dailey's post game comments - quite negative... | The Boneyard

Chris Dailey's post game comments - quite negative...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"I think it is a sign of our immaturity that we played to their level and that's disappointing. they played hard (FDU) and tried to be physical. a little disapointing in our mental appraoch. we started out slower from the beginning. could be immaturity, waiting around, (the kids had no classes today) so it could be from turkey, etc. but if we want to be a good team, we need to get ourselves ready regardless of the oppoenent and we didn't play that way today.

We did what she should do against a team that is over matched but not a whole lot you can take away from a game like this. i realize i'm a glass half full person, but i see all the flaws.

the freshmen playing well is not a great thing - it's experience which is good but we aren't preparing ourselves to play agaisnt teams like FDU. Kiah had 9 boards at the half but most were from her own misses. we backslid and played down to their level. it's hard to take anything from today as we let ourselves slip back a bit from the progress we made so far.

we get to redeem ourselves against a better Buffalo team - they are better than FDU so we'll know more after tomorrow's game."

(Me) please note i tried to get as much of her comments verbatim as i could. i might have missed a word or two or put a sentence in the wrong order as i was trying to finish her comments while the announcer was asking a new question, but i was really surprised at how thoroughly critical she was of the team, even the efforts by the freshmen... of course, i did not see the game so i'll rely on people who did to see if the concur...

Reaction Score
This is not a reply to the above. I did not want to start a new thread.

I found that Kelly Faris successfully continued her scoreless streak in this game. Is this just an attempt to sympathize with Engeln (who also was scoreless) or does she find scoring beneath her dignity?

I appreciate her defensive efforts. My son plays soccer as a hard nosed defender. But to remain 0-7 in 14 minutes against FDU boggles imagination.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I sincerely doubt she finds it "beneath her dignity". At this point it's probably more mental than anything. Some players are just not natural scorers or shooters. It's a credit to her that she has made it to this level without being a great scorer.

Yes, it would be nice if she hit her shots, but it's also great to have a player who thinks to pass first. Gotta have one on your team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I found that Kelly Faris successfully continued her scoreless streak in this game. Is this just an attempt to sympathize with Engeln (who also was scoreless) or does she find scoring beneath her dignity?
i hope this does not become a "yell at trb" thread, or a debate on the relative importance of Kelly Faris. i do agree that the above quote was beneath the dignity of even a rival fans' comment towards Kelly and UCONN, never mind an actual UCONN fan.

i was more interested in comments by fans if they agree or disagree with Chris' harsh criticisms of the team.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
This is not a reply to the above. I did not want to start a new thread.

I appreciate her defensive efforts. My son plays soccer as a hard nosed defender. But to remain 0-7 in 14 minutes against FDU boggles imagination.

Geno once said that Kelly would never play a bad game. I wonder if he's changed his mind on that subject. Oh, I know about all the intangibles, but it's hard to imagine that Kelly Faris can't score even a single point despite multiple shots. At one point during the game, I said out loud: "There goes Kelly assuring that she will remain scoreless."

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
i hope this does not become a "yell at trb" thread, or a debate on the relative importance of Kelly Faris. i do agree that the above quote was beneath the dignity of even a rival fans' comment towards Kelly and UCONN, never mind an actual UCONN fan.

i was more interested in comments by fans if they agree or disagree with Chris' harsh criticisms of the team.

Considering that she's a coach of great reputation, is right there at all the practices, knows what Geno wanted the girls to do, and was sitting there live watching the gameand listening to Geno's comments, how can anyone question what Chris Dailey has to say? Despite the one-sided score, it was a pretty embarrassing performance by the UConn Huskies.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Too many missed "Easy" shots IMO. Plenty of Caroline's looks once again would go in and out from what I remember.

Reaction Score
I thought Chris's remarks are spot on. A really awful start. Missed shots. Layups that were bungled, again and again. Kelly did not look good, and on this night, the intangibles did not make up for it. Unfortunately for Caroline, basketball is not horseshoes; she needs to hit some shots. That's 40% of the starting lineup right there, and they are in a slump, both of them. Do you let them play out of it or take them out as starters for a while? That's the issue facing the coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Chris's comments could not have been more spot on.

It was Kelly's worst game of the year and she put little on the stat sheet, of course, she did only play 14 minutes. Bria and Tiff were the only starters playing more than 20. Stef having 17.

Maturity or not it is hard to keep your head in a game as ugly as this. Giving up 5 in a half is a nice half but a miserable thing. Getting the starters out and letting the frosh play with Tiff and Bria was probably good but all in all there will be more to be unlearned from this game than learned. It can be very hard to play good offense against a terrible team because they frequently are out of position or do the irregular. It that situation lots of one on can become the more effective option but not what UConn wants to do. It was largely a chaotic and unstructured game. Brianna excelled largely for this reason. She has the perfect skills including her speed for that situation.

Of the 18 assists 12 came from the starters in their limited minutes. The frosh and the bench played far more wide open and unstructured. Starters committed a total of 2 fouls to 10 for the rest.

Only thing uglier than the second half last night was the second half of the men's game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree with CD, lackluster performance by the team. Sure they beat an over matched FDU by a wide margin but other then defense in the 1st half, they didn't look good doing so. The bench besides Brianna Banks in the 2nd half could not have done anything to warrant additional playing time in future games. For the most part they played FDU even while they were in the game and at times FDU outplayed them.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Agree with CD, lackluster performance by the team. Sure they beat an over matched FDU by a wide margin but other then defense in the 1st half, they didn't look good doing so. The bench besides Brianna Banks in the 2nd half could not have done anything to warrant additional playing time in future games. For the most part they played FDU even while they were in the game and at times FDU outplayed them.

And consider that while they outscored FDU 44-5 in the first half, FDU almost outplayed them in the second half, trailing only by 7 points (30-23). Against a team of FDU's caliber, and considering that two of their starters were out, UConn should have hit at least 100 points in that game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And consider that while they outscored FDU 44-5 in the first half, FDU almost outplayed them in the second half, trailing only by 7 points (30-23). Against a team of FDU's caliber, and considering that two of their starters were out, UConn should have hit at least 100 points in that game.
Not surprising the starters played 36 out of 100 second half minutes. Stef, CD', and Kelly played a sum total of 18 minutes. Starters played poorly but results overall were not surprising given who was on the court for most of the minutes. May, also, have been thinking there are two more nights of this crap, we'll never recover.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Well, let's see how we do tonight vs. Buffalo. Buffalo (2-3) lost to Dayton last night 94-74. Doesn't look like Buffalo has much of a defense. They've given up 90 points in two of their three losses (also to Duquesne, 90-46 on November 14). The only teams they've beaten are Niagara and Bucknell.

Just for comparison, the Dayton Flyers are 2-2, having beaten Bowling Green and Buffalo, and having lost to Toledo and Cincinnati (Jamelle's team). Their 94 points vs. Buffalo was 25 points higher than their score in their previous three games.

Reaction Score
Granted FDU was used as practice, but our team did not excel in any fashion, Buck and a few others were the only ones who took the game with any seriousness, immaturity was a kind way of saying it.

Reaction Score
Anyway you look at it this was terrible game. I can understand having a bad shooting night; even KML had an off shooting night. What really gets me upset is foul shooting. This should be the easiest part of the game. Did you see the bricks Lauren Englen was throwing up? The energy level just was not there today. I hope tonights game is different.

Reaction Score
It seems the starting 5 are having a hard time scoring. The points start piling up when the freshman come in at the 5 min mark approximately (season just beginning, I know)
Granted, the starting 5 also prevent the opposite team from scoring much too, but I wonder if teams with more experienced / athletic guards would allow for that to happen to them (ND comes to mind).
Then, if you start KML, then you lose most of your scoring power off the bench.
That chaotic pace someone mentioned is at least producing points. I'd rather see the organized offense but with points!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think CD's comment about playing down to their level was on target.

It's too bad that UConn has to schedule schools of this caliber but given the state of D1 wcbb, finding competetive teams to fill a schedule is an impossibility.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

It's too bad that UConn has to schedule schools of this caliber but given the state of D1 wcbb, finding competetive teams to fill a schedule is an impossibility.

Imagine a schedule made up of mostly teams of top 20 caliber. Wow, that would be something.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty much the game I was expecting. I assumed it would be an ugly game but we would win easily. Credit young team, coming off big win, and turkey hangover (there seems to be one every season) and this is what you get. Hopefully they can shake this off and get going for the next two games.

Reaction Score
much ado about nothing. lack of focus and intensity is to be expected against a team that puts the ball in the basket twice in one half. calm down. buffalo and dayton will be better, and they will play better. CD seems to be more outspokenly critical this season, maybe preparing herself to take over for geno at some point. i think her comment about kml rebounding her own missed shots was very geno-esque, and, actually, inaccurate,since 8 of her rebounds were defensive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
i think her comment about kml rebounding her own missed shots was very geno-esque, and, actually, inaccurate.

I thought it was about Kiah, and quite accurate.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

UConn did not schedule FDU. FDU asked in to a tourney that UConn is hosting. UConn has no control over their opponents in this tourney.

Reaction Score
I thought it was about Kiah, and quite accurate.

my mistake . but not accurate about kiah, since none of her rebounds were of her own missed shot. she did miss 2 layups after rebounding someone else's shot. CD might have mentioned kiah's 5 blocked shots, along with those 11 rebounds in 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom