OT: - Chris Berman's wife died in car wreck today | The Boneyard

OT: Chris Berman's wife died in car wreck today

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Very sad news. His wife Katherine collided with another vehicle from behind on Rt. 64 near Lake Quassapaug in Woodbury. The other driver was also killed. They were married for 33 years. Thoughts and prayers to their families and friends. RIP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Awful. This adds to the crap sand which this guy's been given over the past year.

Reaction Score
Wow!!!! Very tragic! Always loved Chris Berman & nobody deserves losing a family member like that! I think I heard it was Chris's Birthday.... So sad! :-(

Reaction Score
Very sad news. His wife Katherine collided with another vehicle from behind on Rt. 64 near Lake Quassapaug in Woodbury. The other driver was also killed. They were married for 33 years. Thoughts and prayers to their families and friends. RIP.
Saw multiple descriptions of the accident. Latest was that police are investigating whether the driver of the car hit by her had a medical emergency that essentially caused the accident. He was 87. Just sad for both families.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw multiple descriptions of the accident. Latest was that police are investigating whether the driver of the car hit by her had a medical emergency that essentially caused the accident. He was 87. Just sad for both families.

Daughter of 87 year old dude said he drives to visit his wife's Grace everyday.

Reaction Score
They said she ran into him, in theory that makes her at fault. Maybe he was stopped in road or something if he has a medical condition.

Lawsuit in 3.2.1....

Very sad

Reaction Score
Ironically this happened right outside an apartment complex I lived in years ago. Regardless of whose fault it actually was, there should be annual exams given to people beyond a certain age.

Having lived in Florida for years, I've witnessed far too many people who have no ability to still be driving a car. There should be tighter legislature on this. RIP Mrs. Berman, prayers to Boomer and the family.

Reaction Score
In AZ. you get a drivers' license for something like 20 years or until age 65
When your over 65 it's reduced to every 5 years and you have to pass an eye exam.
I just got mine renewed and the experation date is 2022. Probably my last license
I Don't think the DMV personal do any other evaluation at that time but it is possible.
The retirement community contribute so much to the economy and actually vote in big numbers so the politicians tread very lightly.

Reaction Score
Your 87 years old you have no business out on the road. Cant count how many times have i seen the news and i hear of a car going through a Dunkin Donuts and i say "i bet he/she is and elderly driver". I dont think ive ever been wrong.

Reaction Score
Your 87 years old you have no business out on the road. Cant count how many times have i seen the news and i hear of a car going through a Dunkin Donuts and i say "i bet he/she is and elderly driver". I dont think ive ever been wrong.
And you'll feel that way until you're 87. I'm not even close ( really mau), but I'm not the one doing 85 in a 55.

Reaction Score
I have not heard of the theory of how this happened but I have seen women putting on makeup as they drive in addition to talking on the phone and texting so blaming this guy because of his age may not be relevant.

Reaction Score
They said she struck him from behind and then other stories that he had a medical condition. Maybe he was stopped in the road and she struck him. No idea though.

I agree though, these old people need constant testing. They're a total disaster and generally in the age of Uber and Lyft should be nowhere near a car. My buddy lives in FL and says they are just a mess constantly causing accidents.

I have not heard of the theory of how this happened but I have seen women putting on makeup as they drive in addition to talking on the phone and texting so blaming this guy because of his age may not be relevant.

Reaction Score
They said she struck him from behind and then other stories that he had a medical condition. Maybe he was stopped in the road and she struck him. No idea though.

I agree though, these old people need constant testing. They're a total disaster and generally in the age of Uber and Lyft should be nowhere near a car. My buddy lives in FL and says they are just a mess constantly causing accidents.

Thus the race to get self-driving cars to market. Lots of aging boomers with disposable income who value their freedom and fear losing their cars one day.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thus the race to get self-driving cars to market. Lots of aging boomers with disposable income who value their freedom and fear losing their cars one day.

How cynical of you. You're right of course; cynicism is a great trait for speculative investing.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I'm 65 and living in Florida half the year a Cape Cod the other half. Driving is a mess in both places, but it is not correct to assume that "old" people are a "mess" and are "constantly causing accidents". In Florida the accident rate goes up during "Spring Break" time to the tune of 4 X. Alcohol, drugs and distracted drivers are the primary reasons for the increase in accidents. Similarly on the Cape there is an increase in accidents in July and August. On the Cape it is my theory that we have a lot of "City folks" who are on their vacations and God help you if you get in their way. "City folk" tend to be inexperienced but aggressive drivers. Distracted drivers, alcohol, drugs also play a role. It is my experience (30 years volunteer EMT and CEVO instructor) that in both places age is somewhat down on the list of accident causation. All that having been said if you have ever had to have the conversation with an elderly loved one about taking away the keys to the car you know how difficult and complex a discussion that is. Call your Mom a mess and see how far that gets you.

Reaction Score
They are a mess. People have to adapt to driving with them. Defensive driving at the extreme. Especially at night.

I think over 80 is when the constant testing is absolutely required.

I do think men < 30 are the most dangerous drivers, speed primarily.

The oldies don't go fast, so accidents aren't as dangerous it seems.

Yes, my mother is a terrible driver.

I'm 65 and living in Florida half the year a Cape Cod the other half. Driving is a mess in both places, but it is not correct to assume that "old" people are a "mess" and are "constantly causing accidents". In Florida the accident rate goes up during "Spring Break" time to the tune of 4 X. Alcohol, drugs and distracted drivers are the primary reasons for the increase in accidents. Similarly on the Cape there is an increase in accidents in July and August. On the Cape it is my theory that we have a lot of "City folks" who are on their vacations and God help you if you get in their way. "City folk" tend to be inexperienced but aggressive drivers. Distracted drivers, alcohol, drugs also play a role. It is my experience (30 years volunteer EMT and CEVO instructor) that in both places age is somewhat down on the list of accident causation. All that having been said if you have ever had to have the conversation with an elderly loved one about taking away the keys to the car you know how difficult and complex a discussion that is. Call your Mom a mess and see how far that gets you.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yep. Seniors are 1/3 less likely to cause an accident than a driver < 25 years old.

The idea that seniors are dangerous drivers is based on miles driven. The problem with that stat is that seniors drive far less than all other age groups.

I wouldn't want granny driving cross country, but she'd be less likely to cause an accident driving the grandkids to school than most younger drivers.

Reaction Score
They are terrible drivers, especially at night. How often do you hear one of those stories of an oldie using the wrong entrance ramp and killing someone.

I agree, younger drivers are the most dangerous between texting/distracted and speed.

It's still amazing how many people are still using phone even in newer cars that you know have Bluetooth.

Yep. Seniors are 1/3 less likely to cause an accident than a driver < 25 years old.

The idea that seniors are dangerous drivers is based on miles driven. The problem with that stat is that seniors drive far less than all other age groups.

I wouldn't want granny driving cross country, but she'd be less likely to cause an accident driving the grandkids to school than most younger drivers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom