Chong not on the McD's team | The Boneyard

Chong not on the McD's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sure a disappointment for her. Based on my limited knowledge, she will make a bigger impact in college than several of the guards selected.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm sure a disappointment for her. Based on my limited knowledge, she will make a bigger impact in college than several of the guards selected.
And maybe she'll play as if she has something to prove.

Enjoy the WBCA game, Saniya. I'll be there cheering for you.

Reaction Score
Here's a LINK to the LoHud Girls Basketball Blog and an article on Saniya's omission from the McDs AA game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hmm. 5th in the nation in scoring. Leads New York in scoring by nearly 10 ppg and in assists by 2 apg. What were they thinking??

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Did someone neglect to nominate her?

Reaction Score
She's paying the price for not playing for a powerhouse...a little problem that will be rectified shortly! :D

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Although it's a HS AA game it's not really based on HS achievements. Kind of like making a WNBA All Star team based on your play and who you played for overseas in the off season.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
It's sad when someone like this doesn't make the team and a certain person from Indiana whose team hasn't won a sectional title (In Indiana, you must win sectional (2-3 games), regional (2 games), semi-state (1 game) to get to the state title game for your class) is the person named as leading the selections on the ESPNW page. It's really a shame - I know these are individual awards but at some point don't you have to win a big game to be considered a big time player? At least Saniya got her team to the State Semi-Final last year. This person's team already lost in Sectionals again this year with her 8 point and 8 rebound performance. Yet, her inclusion on the team makes for a great story as her dad was also a McD's allstar.

Don't get me wrong, there's no questioning her talent and skills. But at some point, IMO, you have to be better than those you play against to earn these type of honors and raise the level of your team's play to show how good you truly are.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thing is that she burst onto the scene fairly late. She's still ranked 75 by HG (altho to be fair, they've not updated their rankings recently). Also, she was invited to, but was cut from the US under-whatever team (not sure the age group she tried out for) so it's not like she's been a stalwart on US National teams. I believe even Saniya admitted she was overwhelmed by the experience and the competition.

She did make the WCBA all star game and we'll know a lot more about her skill level if she tries out for the US National team again this year. I bet she's learned a lot in the past 12 months and as many have noted, she will have an impact her freshman year. She certainly has the skills to be a star at UCONN...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Was Kelly a McD all American?

Reaction Score
20 of the 24 were selected by the selection committee, are in the Bluestar rankings top 26, 13 played USA basketball in 2012, injuries in the top 26 allowed for a couple open spots, then the chairman's office selected 4 extra players

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I ve seen her play in person when she had a tummy virus. 29 pts in the 4th qtr. She is really really good. For what ever reasons she didnt make it. Everything will change next season when she enters UConn. This kid can flat out play. She reminds me of Bria. When the game got tight she took over. I will never forget sitting in the stands at the Christ the King game. I turned to the guys behind me and said, do you know what time it is, and they looked at their watches and I said its Chong time and she went off. There is something about the great ones. When the goin gets tuff the stars get going. SHes a special player.

Reaction Score
I'm happy she made one all star game. Look, she was unknown for most of her high school career by the scouts and she burst onto the scene late and some people got wind of her talents. Its hard when the other players have been known by the voters for years they are going to favor those players. Saniya playing at the site of the FInal 4 will be a great experience for her and she made one all star game, something a ton of talented players will never get the chance to do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just wanted to make sure. That has happened before.
I think a few years ago, one of the UConn recruits was not nominated. But I don't recall the outcome. I have a vague recollection that the report she was not nominated was in error. I don't recall the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom