Chong check from Thursday | The Boneyard

Chong check from Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Ossining goes to 8-3 with an 85-45 win over Ardsley High. Saniya had 31....an oddity here: 8 field goals for 2 points.....5 treys....zero foul shots made....don't know how many were taken. She chipped in with 13 assists.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The UConn v. G'town refs must have called that game. No autopsy, no foul. :)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ossining goes to 8-3 with an 85-45 win over Ardsley High. Saniya had 31....an oddity here: 8 field goals for 2 points.....5 treys....zero foul shots made....don't know how many were taken. She chipped in with 13 assists.

Saniya had no ft attempts, the team was 5 for 12.

Reaction Score

That is wierd....no foul shots made....she usually draws a ton of fouls with her slashing to the rim. Don't forget Saniya's 5 steals.

Click on this LINK for a 6:14 video "Rob Pavinelli Talks Ossining Girls Basketball" of Geno talking about Saniya, Saniya clips, Andra Espinoza-Hunter clips and Shaden Samuels clips.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Time: you are the dude who has seen Saniya play several times....right? Your posts on her are much appreciated.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter has a very similar release to Saniya on her perimeter shots.
For an 8th grader she looks darn polished.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
How will she fit into our team next year, you think?

Reaction Score
Time: you are the dude who has seen Saniya play several times....right? Your posts on her are much appreciated.
Yes………….I saw Saniya play 6 times last year and once this year, so far (against CTK). Here’s a LINK to the rest of her regular season schedule, as per MaxPreps.

Thank you. I hope to continue to post about Saniya’s games with links to articles and/or videos.
Espinoza-Hunter has a very similar release to Saniya on her perimeter shots.

For an 8th grader she looks darn polished.

When I first saw Andra Espinoza-Hunter play last year, I could not believe she was a 7th grader. She's got basketball skills way beyond her years and a great attitude. She hustles all the time. I'm sure Geno will keep his eyes on her. I also couldn't believe Knowles and Walker (moved to Virginia) were 9th graders. Ossining misses Walker down low this year....her presence inside would have helped at the Nike tournament. Her absence this year will also hurt Ossining's chances at a State Championship, though Shadeen Samuels (freshman) is filling in nicely for Walker.

Reaction Score
How will she fit into our team next year, you think?

It’s hard to say. I think it will depend mostly on how Saniya, as a freshman, adjusts to practices and games on the elite, Div 1 level. She definitely has all the skills, for a 1 or 2 guard, to be a very successful player, imho.

Some freshmen try to never make a mistake in practice or games….the harder they try to be perfect (which we all know is impossible), the worse it gets and that lowers their confidence level, sometimes to the point where they look nothing like the player they were as a senior in high school. I like the last two games Mo Jeff has played. She said she stopped thinking and just played hard and tried to have fun…………I like that; play hard, don’t worry about making mistakes and have fun.

Some freshmen are overwhelmed/taken back by the consistently high effort level required of them at practice/games by their coaches.

If Saniya can maintain a positive confidence level throughout her freshman year and endure the increase in effort level that will be demanded by her coaches, I think she can be a solid contributor, as a freshman, in almost any way she wants (or the coaches want)….especially once she catches on to Geno’s defensive and offensive schemes. She’s a great shooter well beyond the 3 pt line, solid midrange game, excellent “on-the-money” passer, great right or left handed penetrator (super crossover and step back) and disher, with the athletic ability to become a superior perimeter defender………………I was wishing she was on the team when we played Notre Dame the other day……we needed somebody who could create their own shot, drive to the rim and draw fouls whenever they wanted to….Saniya’s got that in spades.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Do you think she's a point or a shooting guard by nature?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents on that: she shoots a lot....a lot! My impression is that is because of a need for the team. Both Geno and her high school coach
have been quoted as saying that she is too unselfish. For next year...with our offensive weapons....I think her passing skills will be the key to earn her PT in the regular rotation if she adjusts to Geno's
defensive demands and to practice-time intensity. Given our somewhat limited roster for next year at this point [9 players], hard work will get her immediate PT....imo.

Reaction Score
Do you think she's a point or a shooting guard by nature?

Saniya is a natural born scorer…..and she does it in multiple ways. The points just seem to pile up….so I guess she’s a more natural 2 (shooting) guard. As Blakeon18 said “she shoots a lot….a lot”.

But as Blakeon18 also said “Both Geno and her high school coach
have been quoted as saying that she is too unselfish”. Saniya averages almost 10 assists per game. That statistic is above normal point guard figures….so Saniya is a point guard too.

I agree with Blakeon18, her passing (and penetrating/dish) ability will be the ticket to get her minutes in her freshman year. The thing Geno seemed to like the most about Saniya is that she’s a scorer who LOVES to pass the ball…..Geno said it’s a rare combination. We’ll have numerous scoring options next year and Geno will want Saniya in there to get those players the ball when a scoring opportunity presents itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom