Chiney | The Boneyard

Chiney

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
One of WBB’s rising broadcast stars is Chiney Ogwumike. She is smooth on the air and very thoughtful in her remarks. She has a very nice camera presence, and excellent command of language and sport. I really like her work. Others likely feel the same, as ESPN is giving her more air minutes and varying her assignments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of WBB’s rising broadcast stars is Chiney Ogwumike. She is smooth on the air and very thoughtful in her remarks. She has a very nice camerca presence, and excellent command of language and sport. I really like her work. Others likely feel the same, as ESPN is giving her more air minutes and varying her assignments.
Most likely she gets more air minutes because they can pay her $20/hour compared to the more high dollar talking heads. ESPN simply wants cheap for its on air personalities. If they are good that's just a bonus for them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've seen her on ESPN yet but I enjoyed her work in studio and during games on Pac 12 Network.

Reaction Score
Chiney missed two WNBA seasons (out of a possible 5) due to injury. Had she not missed those seasons, I suspect she may have not gotten into broadcasting, at least not to the extent she has now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Chiney has a huge personality and can really carry a room. She's risen quickly into ESPN's NBA chit-chat. Here's a clip of her alongside Jalen Rose:

Reaction Score
Ouch. So, she’s not really any good; she’s just cheap. Then we just disagree.
No, I agree she is good, but from a business standpoint I think that's why ESPN is giving her more time. ESPN in recent years has become a stingy company when it comes to payroll.

Reaction Score
No, I agree she is good, but from a business standpoint I think that's why ESPN is giving her more time. ESPN in recent years has become a stingy company when it comes to payroll.
Well, they’ve laid off 100s, and have had many people leave for more stability, but haven’t heard they were being stingy too. And Disney runs the show more every year.

Reaction Score
Chiney sure on with Wingo and Golic quiet frequently and also held down the fort during Christmas for 3 different shows on ESPN radio. She is terrific. Sure she isn’t being given a chance because she’s “ cheap” but good and a future star.

Reaction Score
You're right, ESPN has gone cheap for "on-air" talent recently. Here's why:

"ESPN is struggling with a declining subscriber base. ESPN has lost 42 million subscribes in the past few years.

Yet ESPN has to pay increasing fees to sports leagues for broadcast rights to televise live sports events.
ESPN pays yearly to the following for television and radio broadcast rights -
NBA - $1.5 Billion
NFL - $1.9 Billion
MLB - $700 Million
NCAA conferences and College football playoffs over $1 billion."

Like most businesses, ESPN cannot control operating costs, but they can control salaries.

In order to try to control costs, ESPN in April 2016, terminated the employment of several hundred of their employees. Lots of our favorite on air personalities were terminated, or their contracts were not renewed.
This is why we have been seeing new faces on ESPN shows the past 18 or so months. On air and behind the scenes talent at a much lower wage who are elated to be working at the World Wide Web.

Most of them were stuck in a low paying job in small to medium mid-west /eastern/southern parts of the country in local television markets in anonymity. They were brought in for much less $$$ than their predecessors, but at least now they're seen and known nationally.

Chiney is only taking advantage of an opportunity afforded to her. They like her at ESPN. She wants to get into the business. She's been on at least 5 different ESPN shows recently including SportsCenter, Get up, Golic & Wingo, and a number of NBA and college studio pre-game, half time, and post game shows, and a round table talk show that aired today.

Shes also done a couple of basketball sideline reporting gigs (ala Holly Rowe). I think she does a good job, and is getting better with each show. She knowledgeable, articulate, intelligent and available. Her star is rising at ESPN. Not bad for a young lady who was not a broadcast journalism major in college.

Layoffs Hit ESPN On-Air Talent as 100 Staffers Lose Jobs

ESPN is ending evening SportsCenter segments on ESPNews. And the franchise still seems likely to lose anchors, but through contracts not being renewed rather than layoffs.

"ESPN president John Skipper made the announcement on Wednesday, noting that “changes” in the talent lineup will be implemented this week.

“A necessary component of managing change involves constantly evaluating how we best utilize all of our resources, and that sometimes involves difficult decisions,” Skipper wrote in a note to employees posted on the network’s website. “Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent — anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play — necessary to meet those demands.

"These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company," Skipper continued. "I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN."
42 million subscribers gone? Not sure I would trust info from that source.

Reaction Score
Most likely she gets more air minutes because they can pay her $20/hour compared to the more high dollar talking heads. ESPN simply wants cheap for its on air personalities. If they are good that's just a bonus for them.
Just curious, how do you know her pay rate?

Reaction Score
It’s talking about cable subscribers that are either cutting cords or opting out of packages that include ESPN. While 42 million seems a bit high, they have lost around 15 million since 2011.

ESPN Loses Another 2M Subscribers in Fiscal 2018
And only gained subscribers before that. They went from around a peak of 110M, down to around 88M last I heard. However, they are changing ratings to include other than cable subscriptions, so who knows how things will end up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
By accident, I landed on ESPN radio 7am and Chiney has a show which she leads the discussion. She is good on TV but when she leads the discussion, imho, she is much better. I liked her take of comparing the OU vs Alabama game to her experiences with Stanford against UCONN and the real intimidation factor you feel going against a historic program.

Reaction Score
Just curious, how do you know her pay rate?
I don't. I was just throwing that out there. It's no secret ESPN is in cost cutting mode the last few years, and one of the ways they are doing it is by purging expensive on-air talent. I suspect we'll continue to see newcomers garner the bulk of air time that were hired or contracted at bargain basement prices.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Turned on ESPN Radio this morning, and she is co-hosting. FIrst time ever hearing her on-air. She's pretty good.... talking about Clemson-Bama.. and the Pac-12 struggles in football.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One thing Chiney brought up about the Alabama Dynasty is the perception/reality that the program has far larger resources than their competitors. Of course Saban was at the heart of building up the resources and support behind the program so he deserves the credit.

How Nick Saban built a coaching army and started a revolution

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom