Chiney: setting more records | The Boneyard

Chiney: setting more records

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yesterday, Chiney had 27 points and a school record 24 rebounds. I think she's the #2 or #3 player in AA voting. She's carrying the #4 team in the nation.

CardFan, I'm sure, will correct this if needed, but I think the conference career rebounding record was held by Lisa Leslie for a long time. Then Jayne Appel broke it. I think Nneka then broke Jayne's record. Chiney appears to be on track to smash her sister's record.

To keep it balanced, I'd still like to see Chiney improve her midrange jumper, as Nneka did. But Chiney has another year and is a very hard worker, so I look for her to have a more complete game next year. She's really good, but likely will be better next year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
To keep it balanced, I'd still like to see Chiney improve her midrange jumper, as Nneka did. But Chiney has another year and is a very hard worker, so I look for her to have a more complete game next year. She's really good, but likely will be better next year.

Nneka took a monster step forward her senior year, really ramping up her offensive skills and tenacity all around. If Chiney does the same, she will be even scarier for opponents......

Reaction Score
Hey there, thanks for your post and question. Chiney is playing great!! She broke her sister's single rebounding game yesterday, and now has 1600 points and 1010 rebounds after 100 career college games.

There's a lot of discussion on the bootleg about her records and the year she is having (I copied some of the numbers from there). Regarding your statement about her needing a midrange jumper, she can hit them, but her specialty and NEED for THIS year's team, is in the paint. She is so fun to watch and truly amazing how she boards and slashes, better than Nneka! I have no doubt Chiney will score more from the outside next year in the pros and US teams.

Jayne Appel broke Leslie's Pac 12 rebounding record, then Kayla Pedersen broke it the following yr. (now at 1266).

376 Pac 12 season rebounding record is held by Nneka (Chiney has 355 now, so she will break that).

Chiney will be at about 1100 (if we get a few NCAA games) by the end of her junior year.
281 as a freshman, 374 as a soph, about 450 as a junior, so easily more than 1500 for career! She will SMASH the record.

Before the start of this season, her career averages were 13.4 ppg (10th best all-time) and 9.1 rpg (2nd best all-time, to Nicole Powell's 9.6 rpg). After 28 games this her junior season, during her 100th career game, she spikes both career averages to 16.0 ppg (which is now 7th all-time) and 10.1 rpg (which is now #1 all-time).

here is Chiney being interviewed by Ros Gold Onwude after the game yesterday. Chiney is going to do great things in life after bball!

http://video.pac-12.com/chiney-ogwumike-talks-about-win-against-oregon

Reaction Score
Nneka took a monster step forward her senior year, really ramping up her offensive skills and tenacity all around. If Chiney does the same, she will be even scarier for opponents......

Nneka improved every year, both huge jumps her jr and sr years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I recall a game at UConn when we left Nneka open for foul line jumpers early on. The prior year, she did not have that shot at all. As a soph, it was pretty good. As a senior, it was stellar.

Thanks--Kayla got the record, not Nneka. I agree--if healthy, Chiney will be at about 1,500.

You know the sisters better than I, but they have similarities and differences. Nneka may always be the better shooter and Chiney the better rebounder. It will be interesting to see. Chiney has about a 1" height advantage. She also used to defer to Nneka. I think Chiney plays with more energy than most, including possibly Nneka. I'm not sure if Nneka matched little sis's energy last year or not, but I thought Nneka was more dynamic as a senior than previously (based on seeing about 4 games per year).

I saw Chiney in the AA game in San Antonio and thought OMG. No one had Chiney's intensity. (Hartley was very good in a smooth way.)

Reaction Score
I recall a game at UConn when we left Nneka open for foul line jumpers early on. The prior year, she did not have that shot at all. As a soph, it was pretty good. As a senior, it was stellar.

Thanks--Kayla got the record, not Nneka. I agree--if healthy, Chiney will be at about 1,500.

You know the sisters better than I, but they have similarities and differences. Nneka may always be the better shooter and Chiney the better rebounder. It will be interesting to see. Chiney has about a 1" height advantage. She also used to defer to Nneka. I think Chiney plays with more energy than most, including possibly Nneka. I'm not sure if Nneka matched little sis's energy last year or not, but I thought Nneka was more dynamic as a senior than previously (based on seeing about 4 games per year).

I saw Chiney in the AA game in San Antonio and thought OMG. No one had Chiney's intensity. (Hartley was very good in a smooth way.)

I remember that game, too. Her Jr. year. Agree her Sr. yr was amazing, which I strongly believed earned her POY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think either Nneka or Elena was the most skilled player last year. They did the most with what they had. But Griner's has 6'8" and her effectiveness was exceptional. Plus, going 40-0 is very, very difficult.

Reaction Score
I think either Nneka or Elena was the most skilled player last year. They did the most with what they had. But Griner's has 6'8" and her effectiveness was exceptional. Plus, going 40-0 is very, very difficult.

Nneka outplayed Griner in F4 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc