Chile Friendly | The Boneyard

Chile Friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should be a nice Wednesday treat.

Sounds like Jurgen is going to give the old 3-5-2 a run for the money. But it might really be a 5-3-2 if Chile presses hard. This seems to be the in vogue formation in this hemisphere. Mexico, Costa Rica and Chile have made extensive use of it.

This seems to be the consensus projected lineup.

Altidore, Dempsey
Shea, Nguyen, Yedlin
Bradley Trapp
Besler, Jones, Birnbaum/Hedges
Johnson/Rimando

Shea and Yedlin are the Wingbacks. Both have questionable defensive skills. But Yedlin is a good right side attacker, and Breck Shea is pacey winger with a good left foot. Hopefully he doesn't suck. He is on Orlando City's roster now and the belief is that he will be back to getting tons of minutes.

Reaction Score
speaking of Chile, great Foo Fighters clip from live performance in Chile.

Ole, ole, ole, ole, Chile..Chile.... Chi, Chi, Chi...Le, Le, Le. - get ready to hear that a lot tonight.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
- There is a lot not to like about Brek Shea but darn it all if he doesn't have one of the best goal to minutes played ratios of all time.

- Thinking Clint has Wood on his pay no mind list. Barely looks in his direction.

- Nice work there from Yedlin and Mix on the second goal. Jozy calmly buries it.

- Lol, Clint really wants no part of Bobby Wood.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
- There is a lot not to like about Brek Shea but darn it all if he doesn't have one of the best goal to minutes played ratios of all time.

- Thinking Clint has Wood on his pay no mind list. Barely looks in his direction.

- Nice work there from Yedlin and Mix on the second goal. Jozy calmly buries it.

- Lol, Clint really wants no part of Bobby Wood.

Thinking I really like Jurgen right now for pulling Yedlin into the fold so quickly and recruiting Diskerud.

Bobby Wood is invisible.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
This formation may help getting forward but the Titanic was not as leaky. Jones shows the value of having a ball handler in the back, but he will never stay at home. Shea is a raw steak in the lion's den on defense.

Reaction Score
This formation may help getting forward but the Titanic was not as leaky. Jones shows the value of having a ball handler in the back, but he will never stay at home. Shea is a raw steak in the lion's den on defense.

Birnbaum.

More like Burned-Baum.

Reaction Score

Also, I think we've actually been in a 4-4-2 since Trapp came on.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Final 20 were a throwaway for young players. If JK is building for the Gold Cup I could see a formation like this with Jones as the 3.5-4th defender, but certainly not in the middle of a 3 mn line as he was today. Really like the CD as the CAM under Jozy plus 1. Yedlin is my RW, left I'd like to see Fabian Johnson there if healthy. I think Mix and Bradley will be the CM's

I'll give Garza LB for now and put Chandler on the Right for now though I still think he runs oddly and hurts him defending wide.

Guzan
Chandler - Jones-Besler-Garza
Bradley
Yedin - Mix- Johnson
Dempsey Altidore

Or

Guzan
Chandler Jones Gonzales Garza
Bradley
Yedlin Dempsey Johnson
Johansson Altitore

There appears to be an excellent generation of U20 players emerging and I think this year may be the last hurrah for many of the WC14 guys. Not convinced any of the above are locks for 2018 with the exception of Yedlin.

Reaction Score
Dempsey is too good to be used as a forward. He really needs to be the CAM. Nguyen is good, but he is not ready to be that player yet.

Jones is a good player, but he can't defend a cross for his life.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fun game anyway. Not sure if Klinsmann learned anything from this. But it's been reported he's gonna be doing a lot of experimenting until the Gold Cup, then he'll field his best team. Wonder what that will look like?

Also read Zelalem might be coming into the fold in the spring. And Carter-Vickers is leaning towards USA.

Reaction Score
Fun game anyway. Not sure if Klinsmann learned anything from this. But it's been reported he's gonna be doing a lot of experimenting until the Gold Cup, then he'll field his best team. Wonder what that will look like?

Also read Zelalem might be coming into the fold in the spring. And Carter-Vickers is leaning towards USA.

Development wise. Yedlin and Diskerud are the best new faces that are ready for big boy games. Greg Garza is close to that as well. That's at least my take on the friendlies since the World Cup. Both were at the World Cup and Diskerud isn't technically new, but in terms of longevity those two are the most likely to become mainstays like Dempsey and Bradley.

I like Klinsmann, but all of this experimentation is just creating new questions and few answers. The US as it is with it's best 11/18 still has enough questions on their own.

Basically, we haven't looked good in 4-3-3, a 4-4-2 diamond, and the 3-5-2 just looks like a temporary deal for this January.

Last night, I think with Geoff Cameron on the right instead Birnbaum, Garza instead of Shea on the left wingback, Bedoya as a CAM with Dempsey pushed forward then we don't lose that game. Also, I think it would be safe bet to say that Brooks could defend a cross better than Jones. Jones is good, but he is mismatch in that role.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Development wise. Yedlin and Diskerud are the best new faces that are ready for big boy games. Greg Garza is close to that as well. That's at least my take on the friendlies since the World Cup. Both were at the World Cup and Diskerud isn't technically new, but in terms of longevity those two are the most likely to become mainstays like Dempsey and Bradley.

I like Klinsmann, but all of this experimentation is just creating new questions and few answers. The US as it is with it's best 11/18 still has enough questions on their own.

Basically, we haven't looked good in 4-3-3, a 4-4-2 diamond, and the 3-5-2 just looks like a temporary deal for this January.

Last night, I think with Geoff Cameron on the right instead Birnbaum, Garza instead of Shea on the left wingback, Bedoya as a CAM with Dempsey pushed forward then we don't lose that game. Also, I think it would be safe bet to say that Brooks could defend a cross better than Jones. Jones is good, but he is mismatch in that role.
Agree, I'm not sure of Klinsmann's fascination with Jones. He can actually play that holding/destroyer player pretty well, IF (if) he'll stay home like Beckerman does. Making him a CB just so you can have him in the line-up, I don't see it.

Reaction Score
Agree, I'm not sure of Klinsmann's fascination with Jones. He can actually play that holding/destroyer player pretty well, IF (if) he'll stay home like Beckerman does. Making him a CB just so you can have him in the line-up, I don't see it.

He usually makes teams better. Last night was not one of those nights. And good point on Jones. He pushes forward too much and we need Bradley playing box to box and not CDM lol!

If this team has a strength other than GK, then it is in midfield. We are short on quality strikers. Everyone loves using two strikers, but that just hurts us in my opinion because we really only have one serviceable striker and he couldn't even score at his last club.

I would prefer 4-5-1 because then we can leverage the strength of the team and not have to worry about players adapting to a 3 or 5 man back line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom