Chiekh Mbacke Diong - Major Offer | The Boneyard

Chiekh Mbacke Diong - Major Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Is he a 2 star?
Yeah, but only because he's so new to the US. Generally regarded as a raw, but high-upside player like Gorgui Dieng.

He'll probably be mostly useless until midway through his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
In his hilariously grainy video against 7 year olds, he guards the top of the press.

Hey, seems athletic. Could block shots and be a project. Why not?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Hey, seems athletic. Could block shots and be a project. Why not?
Because we have only one scholarship available for big man next year, and we need that guy to come in and immediately contribute.

We need a postgrad IMO. Rooks, Coleby, Delph, Banks or Obi.

Once we have that we can concentrate on bringing in a big 2018 class.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah, but only because he's so new to the US. Generally regarded as a raw, but high-upside player like Gorgui Dieng.

He'll probably be mostly useless until midway through his sophomore year.

I have no problem taking him on as a 12th/13th man on the roster. The Dieng comparison seems apt given the Pitino interest.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I have no problem taking him on as a 12th/13th man on the roster.
Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but 1) we're really just one piece (and some good injury luck) from being a very good team next year, and 2) we're well in the mix for a similar project center in 2018 (Dowuona).

I'm not saying "Hard pass" or anything, but I'd honestly rather just let this one play out and see if we can get a surer thing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He looks mor raw than Brimah was, if that's possible

Reaction Score
He looks mor raw than Brimah was, if that's possible

I will concede that I've seen nothing other than the 1 minute video posted above and if you have than please disregard my comment. But if not how can you possibly make that remark after seeing 60 seconds and maybe 6 total plays of a 6'10 athlete simply dunking over very weak competition. I mean there wasn't one shot taken. No man on man defense. No post moves. And your assessment is that he is more raw than Brimah was?

Like I said, I have no idea who this kid is and have not seen enough tape or him live at all so maybe he is more raw than Brimah was in HS but I don't get people on here sometimes with their assessments based off of 1 short highlight reel.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Nope, nothing else. But you can't just watch dunks. He ran well, so he's got that. But watch him on the attempted blocks defensively. No timing. Bad arm position. And that's against that competition. Honestly, I'd love to be wrong if he signs with us. Potential? Absolutely. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Nope, nothing else. But you can't just watch dunks. He ran well, so he's got that. But watch him on the attempted blocks defensively. No timing. Bad arm position. And that's against that competition. Honestly, I'd love to be wrong if he signs with us. Potential? Absolutely. We shall see.

When you're 6'10 facing 6'0 kids at best it's awfully hard to demonstrate proper fundamentals. You don't need them. Not that I even see poor fundamentals. There was what two maybe three blocks and he didn't jump at the guys he went straight up at times with his hands extended, which he is going to need to do at better competition and met the ball at the backboard on a couple and didn't reach for the release point. Don't know how he had bad timing as he swatted the ball hard off the backboard. I don't know. Its such a small sample size, that who knows, I just can't draw any definitive conclusions here.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
At least he's got the "6'10" with athletic ability" checkboxes. A good start, and something we could use. But I stand by the 'raw' assessment. That leaves open the possibility of simmering nicely over time.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I like the fact that he can run. Most big guys his size can't and he seems like he has MUCH better hands than Brimah.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
He also looks 50-70 lbs heavier than Brimah when he started.

One of Brimah's biggest problems, to this day, is that he can't catch the damn ball. I don't want any other projects that can't catch a hard pass down low

Both good points. What I'm seeing in that brief snippet - that could be misleading - is a big guy with reasonable baseline athletic ability who hasn't played much basketball. Obviously a stronger body and better hands (if he's got them) are tools you can work with.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Both good points. What I'm seeing in that brief snippet - that could be misleading - is a big guy with reasonable baseline athletic ability who hasn't played much basketball. Obviously a stronger body and better hands (if he's got them) are tools you can work with.
He appears to have better balance, too -- an underrated factor in post defense, pick-and-roll defense and especially rebounding. Between Amida's poor balance and the fact that he has hooves for hands, that's how you build a guy who's 7-foot with a 7-foot-7 wingspan who rebounds like a SG.

What's not clear is if this guy has the explosive verticality & rim protection instincts of Amida. I suspect that if he did he'd rank much higher than he does.

Reaction Score
I have no problem taking him on as a 12th/13th man on the roster. The Dieng comparison seems apt given the Pitino interest.
He may be better than an end of bench guy: runs the floor well and has long arms. Would have like to see his D against same size opponents.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He appears to have better balance, too -- an underrated factor in post defense, pick-and-roll defense and especially rebounding. Between Amida's poor balance and the fact that he has hooves for hands, that's how you build a guy who's 7-foot with a 7-foot-7 wingspan who rebounds like a SG.

What's not clear is if this guy has the explosive verticality & rim protection instincts of Amida. I suspect that if he did he'd rank much higher than he does.

I wish AB could rebound like some of our SGs
Kemba Bazz and JA can get 6 a game and AB struggles to get 4

Reaction Score
One of Brimah's biggest problems, to this day, is that he can't catch the damn ball. I don't want any other projects that can't catch a hard pass down low

Hard to point out specific things with Brimah when he's bad at pretty much everything.

Reaction Score
Committed to UNLV
Chiekh Mbacke Diong‏ @MbackeDiong 26m26 minutes ago
Thanks god thanks to my parents , flying star and#Flaprephoops .Thanks to all of the schools that have recruited me . Commit to #UNLV

C6BoHa7VMAAoHhm.jpg

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads