Chief's Brief's | The Boneyard

Chief's Brief's

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Every win is important for this team and not to be taken for granted - that's my message to the casual fan! What we need to see now has been elusive this season - that's consistency and coming out ready to ball.

Purvis is best when he plays defense - spot up shoots from the beyond the 3 line with feet set and a good look. You saw this last night. I will erase from memory that play that got him benched.

Enoch playing over Nolan was a big story and long overdue - now KO needs to stick with it. A Freshman will have ups and downs. KO also did a shout out to Big Man's Coach Glen Miller - seemingly responding to BY criticism. Seems like they are now hanging their hats on Enoch and his future development as Exhibit A as evidence that Coach Miller's can develop bigs. Things I like about Enoch - on the break he runs in a direct line from one rim to the other. He also seals his man on the box out. He also has good hands and a decent touch on his shot.

Adams when he is playing his game is amazing - how many points or assists he can make in a few minutes.

I liked our perimeter defense and actual passing the ball up court on the break vs dribbling - we scored off of turnovers and on rebounds.

Quite frankly, what's the next step? Come out ready to play against Houston and don't look back. Built upon what's worked and the success of KOs lineup tweaks.

I thought Shonn Miller played well - I don't know if he can be our leader since maybe he is not in the social fabric of team norms - some may view him as stuck up or maybe more fairly being too smart or intellectually detached. What I would call focus and thoughtful and mature. I think it's on the other guys now to show that same level of intensity and consistency. Have fun but do your game prep and ALWAYS be POISED and READY! Know the scouting report and have attention to detail.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Amazing performance. This will be the turning point where we don't look back in believing

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I agree with all of this. However, it seems like Ollie likes to get Enoch in these games against lesser opponents to give him minutes. Against a team like SMU or Cincy, he'll play the experienced Nolan. IMO it's the right move. Enoch is the future, but right now we're trying to lock up this tournament bid.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Amazing performance. This will be the turning point where we don't look back in believing

When they did that "Stand-Up for USF" thing...how many folks stood, in your estimation.....?

Looked like 25% or less.

Lots of UConn fans there.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The idea that Miller is too smart for the rest of the team to get along with is such a Chief thing to say. Love it.

I'm a casual fan and never really helped Calhoun out with strategy or picked up b%tches with players so I'm not sure I get what he was saying.

Reaction Score

I love the optimism...But I have felt this after several games. As recently as SMU.

Reaction Score
I usually don't comment on the briefs but I think Chief hit on something
Which I have been alluding to all season.
The difficulty of blending two post grads into your staring lineup who are not raised in the JC/KO school. Different teams have different cultures. They have a significant amount to unlearn as well as learn.
From a personal respect basis basketball players respect each other for what they can do and how hard they try not how smart they are or where they came from.
Sport has always been the social equalizer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Every win is important for this team and not to be taken for granted - that's my message to the casual fan! What we need to see now has been elusive this season - that's consistency and coming out ready to ball.

Purvis is best when he plays defense - spot up shoots from the beyond the 3 line with feet set and a good look. You saw this last night. I will erase from memory that play that got him benched.

Enoch playing over Nolan was a big story and long overdue - now KO needs to stick with it. A Freshman will have ups and downs. KO also did a shout out to Big Man's Coach Glen Miller - seemingly responding to BY criticism. Seems like they are now hanging their hats on Enoch and his future development as Exhibit A as evidence that Coach Miller's can develop bigs. Things I like about Enoch - on the break he runs in a direct line from one rim to the other. He also seals his man on the box out. He also has good hands and a decent touch on his shot.

Adams when he is playing his game is amazing - how many points or assists he can make in a few minutes.

I liked our perimeter defense and actual passing the ball up court on the break vs dribbling - we scored off of turnovers and on rebounds.

Quite frankly, what's the next step? Come out ready to play against Houston and don't look back. Built upon what's worked and the success of KOs lineup tweaks.

I thought Shonn Miller played well - I don't know if he can be our leader since maybe he is not in the social fabric of team norms - some may view him as stuck up or maybe more fairly being too smart or intellectually detached. What I would call focus and thoughtful and mature. I think it's on the other guys now to show that same level of intensity and consistency. Have fun but do your game prep and ALWAYS be POISED and READY! Know the scouting report and have attention to detail.

I like it when your Briefs are filled with enthusiasm!

C

Chief00

The idea that Miller is too smart for the rest of the team to get along with is such a Chief thing to say. Love it.

In Boston for weekend, lots going on, so I can't always respond quickly.

TCF15 - I sense you realize it's more than conjecture in this case - I don't know if the best characterization is too smart, too mature, too serious or an auro of Ivy League superiority - I don't think there is any problem there - just difference - and different perspectives - different social choices.

A friend of mine, who knows both, once said Calhoun likes tough - and Geno likes smart. I don't necessarily completely agree. But it's interesting to think about.

C

Chief00

In Boston for weekend, lots going on, so I can't always respond quickly.

TCF15 - I sense you realize it's more than conjecture in this case - I don't know if the best characterization is too smart, too mature, too serious or an auro of Ivy League superiority - I don't think there is any problem there - just difference - and different perspectives - different social choices.

A friend of mine, who knows both, once said Calhoun likes tough - and Geno likes smart. I don't necessarily completely agree. But it's interesting to think about.

LOL - KO must have read my post - he wants JC tough per Courant.

C

Chief00

So will Ollie have them eating breakfast at 10:30am per JC's rules? - 3.5 hrs before game time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom