Chiefs Brief's | The Boneyard

Chiefs Brief's

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Yes, I just got home from Hartford after celebrating a wonderful victory - as Jim Calhoun and Arnold Auerbach would have recommended. Quite frankly, in my mind it was a must win and the players, coaches and fans were up to the challenge.
- First lets get a couple instructive negatives out of way - we gave away 5 points in the first half, which we can't afford to do in a big game. Namely, Coach Miller once again convinced KO that we should go zone in a time out - and then SMU immediately dropped a 3 on us. Thankfully KO pulled a JC when George would convince him to play a zone - and after the immediate 3, KO said screw it - UConn is all about man defense. The other first half negative was putting Sam Jr in who I like very much but he threw a turnover pass that led to a layup.
- So what went right? Lots of stuff.
- Brimah had his best game ever given the level of competition. After the game I told him he was Bill Russell. Not sure if he completely understood what that meant but it was a huge compliment and well deserved. He forgot about his injury and played like a real man - so good to see.
- I really like Adams and how he gets into the lane and finishes. He is absolutely our best finisher.
- Miller is our best player and he showed it again against bigger defenders. I can see why Calhoun likes him so much - there is lots to like and he will fight down low.
- Hamilton made some big shots now that his buddy said screw the finger injury and I am going to play.
- Purvis played some good defense as did others including Gibbs. Good to see.
- I thought Calhoun gave us some good minutes early on.
- Congrats to KO because the players took on the physical challenge against a stronger team. But UConn manned up like Jim's teams have done in the past.
- if we can beat either Cincy or SMU away we will really be in a strong position - without that road win I think we still make it and no one will want to play us in their bracket.

Reaction Score
Yes, I just got home from Hartford after celebrating a wonderful victory - as Jim Calhoun and Arnold Auerbach would have recommended. Quite frankly, in my mind it was a must win and the players, coaches and fans were up to the challenge.
- First lets get a couple instructive negatives out of way - we gave away 5 points in the first half, which we can't afford to do in a big game. Namely, Coach Miller once again convinced KO that we should go zone in a time out - and then SMU immediately dropped a 3 on us. Thankfully KO pulled a JC when George would convince him to play a zone - and after the immediate 3, KO said screw it - UConn is all about man defense. The other first half negative was putting Sam Jr in who I like very much but he threw a turnover pass that led to a layup.
- So what went right? Lots of stuff.
- Brimah had his best game ever given the level of competition. After the game I told him he was Bill Russell. Not sure if he completely understood what that meant but it was a huge compliment and well deserved. He forgot about his injury and played like a real man - so good to see.
- I really like Adams and how he gets into the lane and finishes. He is absolutely our best finisher.
- Miller is our best player and he showed it again against bigger defenders. I can see why Calhoun likes him so much - there is lots to like and he will fight down low.
- Hamilton made some big shots now that his buddy said screw the finger injury and I am going to play.
- Purvis played some good defense as did others including Gibbs. Good to see.
- I thought Calhoun gave us some good minutes early on.
- Congrats to KO because the players took on the physical challenge against a stronger team. But UConn manned up like Jim's teams have done in the past.
- if we can beat either Cincy or SMU away we will really be in a strong position - without that road win I think we still make it and no one will want to play us in their bracket.
Agree on all points. Thought Facey garnered a shout out. Made some good use of his time on both ends of the floor. Very productive last night.

Reaction Score
I almost choked when DM missed the front end of the 1 and 1 near the end!!!

Reaction Score
I almost choked when DM missed the front end of the 1 and 1 near the end!!!

I don't have stats -- but I recall him missing free throws in late-game scenarios earlier this year, and he had similar issues last year. When I was watching his prep on the line he just looked insanely uncomfortable compared to his normal free throw routine/rhythm. He was definitely bothered by the late-game pressure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I felt Omar gave good minutes most of this game.

I love Shonn's ability to score when he gets the ball. But he has two glaring weaknesses that, if fixed will elevate this team to a new level. He's slow to react and he is resistant to moving around on the court.

For all the criticism that people have about the guards not getting the ball to him, my beef is equally directed at Shonn for not moving to positions where the ball can be given to him. He primarily plants himself at the baseline. This is the third game in a row in which at the start of the second half he gets into position either at the foul line or cutting across the lane. But he needs to do this the entire forty minutes of the game and not just for five minutes.

And on defense he's the primary reason that Cincy, Temple and SMU made their runs. He hedges for the rebound and leaves his player undefended. His reaction to the ball's movement is weak. At least DHam makes a run for his player although he also hedges too much. Shonn doesn't even recognize the play is developing and when he does only makes a half hearted attempt to run out to his man.

He guarded Ben Moore last evening and Ben got most of his scoring when Shonn was guarding him. As much as I'm thrilled by Shonn's ability to score his total output was a net zero given his poor defense. And he's got to look for outlets when he's triple teamed. There were at least three possessions that he forced things when an outlet pass would have been advisable. Those are three turnovers imo.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Whoa, Chief, you dumped a lot into your Briefs tonight!

That pass by Cassell may have been the worst pass ever thrown in a basketball game. Too bad Garo Yepremian isn't still alive to have appreciated it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how switching to a zone & giving Sam a chance at minutes are "negatives".

It's not like we've got a pg who isn't in foul trouble & sam's getting his minutes, all you're looking for is ball protection and getting the play started, it didn't work out & he got yanked. The negative isn't that he got minutes the negative is he got minutes and didn't do his job. I have zero problem with Sam getting a chance in the same situation going forward.

With regard to zone if it works on 2 consecutive possessions we're saying it was great, gave the team a quick blow & disjointed SMU's offensive flow. Again no problem with making a switch every so often, it would only be a negative if they failed to adjust, which they didn't.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I can't tell if you guys sarcastically approve of Chief's Briefs, or legitimately think they are brilliant.

C

Chief00

I agree we need to rotate to the weak side on defense better. I think Miller may be our most consistent player but your criticisms are valid. Additionally, he must learn to kick it back out better, if covered. In theory, then he would get the ball more cuz guys know they will get it back. However, having said that I believe Miller shoots for a high percentage and along with Adams our our most consistent scorers in the paint - Brimah's lobs aside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That pass by Cassell may have been the worst pass ever thrown in a basketball game. Too bad Garo Yepremian isn't still alive to have appreciated it.
I see what you did there. And WTF was Sam Jr. thinking? Not only does he get into the game (for some reason), they let him more or less run the O for a few trips and he does that. Mind-boggling.

C

Chief00

I'm not sure how switching to a zone & giving Sam a chance at minutes are "negatives".

It's not like we've got a pg who isn't in foul trouble & sam's getting his minutes, all you're looking for is ball protection and getting the play started, it didn't work out & he got yanked. The negative isn't that he got minutes the negative is he got minutes and didn't do his job. I have zero problem with Sam getting a chance in the same situation going forward.

With regard to zone if it works on 2 consecutive possessions we're saying it was great, gave the team a quick blow & disjointed SMU's offensive flow. Again no problem with making a switch every so often, it would only be a negative if they failed to adjust, which they didn't.

Quite frankly, it might be different if we had a higher powered offense that yielded a higher margin of error. But as our string of three point losses indicate every possession is important and can't be a 20% liklihood of success move. While I understand the change up against the opposition - we usually shoot ourselves in the foot playing a zone - that's not why someone comes to UConn and time and time again you can see we are not committed to it anyways - it usually ends up with an unguarded 3. Thankfully KO trashed it before more damage was done - remember Temple.
As for Jr I am not going to say anything negative about him - just that we need to give Adams minutes.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, it might be different if we had a higher powered offense that yielded a higher margin of error. But as our string of three point losses indicate every possession is important and can't be a 20% liklihood of success move. While I understand the change up against the opposition - we usually shoot ourselves in the foot playing a zone - that's not why someone comes to UConn and time and time again you can see we are not committed to it anyways - it usually ends up with an unguarded 3. Thankfully KO trashed it before more damage was done - remember Temple.
As for Jr I am not going to say anything negative about him - just that we need to give Adams minutes.
It's become obvious to me that your basketball analysis is 90% heart and 10% butt.

Reaction Score
The Chief is my favorite poster by quite a significant margin. Keep doing your thing, Chief!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, I just got home from Hartford after celebrating a wonderful victory - as Jim Calhoun and Arnold Auerbach would have recommended.

The only post game celebration Auerbach recommends is:

photo.jpg

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Actually, it looked like a carbon copy of the one that DHam threw at about the 14:30 mark in the 1st half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom