Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, as the name implies, I will be brief:
- Concerns me very much we don't seem to have the ability to turn the switch and play lock down defense for multi possessions
- We have not figured out how to defend the pick and roll which then is followed by a penetration and a pitch for a 3.
- I would like to see more guys just sticking with their man with and without the ball. Too many defenders getting lost in no man's land.
- This is the opportunity to let Enoch play through mistakes - I wish we did that more
- Over-all the shooting was good
- I did not see the ball movement we had earlier in the year and along with it too many turnovers.
- On offense - I would like to see more than 1 guy plan to rebound - need 2
- I think the team feeds off KOs energy - he wasn't up and about today

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
Quite frankly, as the name implies, I will be brief: - Concerns me very much we don't seem to have the ability to turn the switch and play lock down defense for multi possessions - We have not figured out how to defend the pick and roll which then is followed by a penetration and a pitch for a 3. - I would like to see more guys just sticking with their man with and without the ball. Too many defenders getting lost in no man's land. - This is the opportunity to let Enoch play through mistakes - I wish we did that more - Over-all the shooting was good - I did not see the ball movement we had earlier in the year and along with it too many turnovers. - On offense - I would like to see more than 1 guy plan to rebound - need 2 - I think the team feeds off KOs energy - he wasn't up and about today

I like what I'm reading. But next time, don't be afraid to explore the space. I mean, really explore the space.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, as the name implies, I will be brief:
- Concerns me very much we don't seem to have the ability to turn the switch and play lock down defense for multi possessions
- We have not figured out how to defend the pick and roll which then is followed by a penetration and a pitch for a 3.
- I would like to see more guys just sticking with their man with and without the ball. Too many defenders getting lost in no man's land.
- This is the opportunity to let Enoch play through mistakes - I wish we did that more
- Over-all the shooting was good
- I did not see the ball movement we had earlier in the year and along with it too many turnovers.
- On offense - I would like to see more than 1 guy plan to rebound - need 2
- I think the team feeds off KOs energy - he wasn't up and about today

I think the switch always needs to be turned on from the opening tip. What ball movement earlier in the year are you referring to?

The goal for Kevin Ollie is to get three (3) consecutive stops...five (5) times a game. Three (3) consecutive stops equals ONE KILL. So the team is looking for five (5) kills per game. If you break down the game possession by possession the question becomes... how many games has the team achieved the goal of five (5) kills? I can't answer that question and it is doubtful anyone here has the capability to provide that stat either. The staff knows. My guess is maybe 1 or 2 games? It can't be a favorable #. We have several big time liabilities on defense starting with Hamilton who got lit up again today.

Enoch is one of the hardest workers on the team. If some of that could rub off on the other Freshman the sky could be the limit. I think it will in due time. No doubt...

As for KO. At the 17:28 mark of the 2nd half he called a time out with UConn now up just 7. If not mistaken he pulled Hamilton for the next couple of minutes (check on this but I think that happened). I think the focus right now really has to be on making the corrective measures necessary on the defensive end (practice and film) and then worry about KO's energy level after that. The former (corrective measures) will help mitigate the need for KO's energy level on the bench to be much of an issue. Just like anything EXECUTION (KO's 4th constant is execution) is key. Execution through preparation will take care of the sideline energy issues you are referring to.

"We want to stress four things. One, defend; two, rebound; three, run; and four, execute. When you all watch our team, I want you to see those four things as constants." - KO

We are not consistent at any of the four (4).

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I agree we have a lot of work to do to be great. An old coach that some of us know has said defense is attitude and will ( ok I cleaned it up a little) and I would add mental concentration - we need some guys who might get in a fight in the parking lot after a game.
As for Enoch working hard I agree - Adams despite his talent must learn how hard you really need to work to be a super star at this level - it's more than just talent! It's eliminating the careless mistakes - getting a stop for the full shot clock and its shooting with confidence because you have taken that same shot a million times in practice.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief puts his briefs on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. It's just that after he puts those briefs on, he plays golf and smokes cigars with Jim Calhoun and other assorted HOF coaches.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chief puts his briefs on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. It's just that after he puts those briefs on, he plays golf and smokes cigars with Jim Calhoun and other assorted HOF coaches.

And chases groupies with AD.

C

Chief00

I have never seen Coach Calhoun smoke a cigar. I do at football tailgates after a win - which was more often this year than last few years.

Reaction Score
Enoch play through his mistakes? Doesn't appear that's going to happen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom