Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

C

Chief00

No partying tonight just a late turnaround and will be up at 6am.

The team is starting to come together - KO coached hard from the sidelines. However, I really liked what Adams said about the upperclassmen starting to Coach the players on the court and not relying so much on KO. You need that on court leadership.

Jackson intrigue me by matching up against the front court rather than the backcourt. He does have a pretty high BBIQ and he is crafty around the basket for a guy who's fairly strong but not a leaper. He also was great against the press by being at mid count - where he could catch it up high and then turn and pass to a streaking Adams. While I criticized KO for having Jackson throw the in bounds pass when we were down by three with 1.4 seconds left a few games agosincevitvtook a shooter away - but it's clear KO trusts his passing over Purvis's.

Adams got assists and played pretty well but he did look tired at times. There's a lot of weight on his shoulders.

The light has really gone on for Facey - he is starting to really play the productive minutes I have always thought he could play. I liked his release on his shots, rebounding and his shut down defense.

Quite frankly, I could critique Brimah but he did establish the defense in the first half by blocking shots. Sure he blocked some out of bounds and he went 0-3,when we tried to reward him on offense for his defennse after the blocks. I will give Coach Miller credit for questioning the ref during a timeout after Brimah was knocked to the floor. We need more of that.

LOL surprise - I am not a big fan of the zone - especially since there is often confusion about what type of zonewe were in.

Reaction Score
No partying tonight just a late turnaround and will be up at 6am.

The team is starting to come together - KO coached hard from the sidelines. However, I really liked what Adams said about the upperclassmen starting to Coach the players on the court and not relying so much on KO. You need that on court leadership.

Jackson intrigue me by matching up against the front court rather than the backcourt. He does have a pretty high BBIQ and he is crafty around the basket for a guy who's fairly strong but not a leaper. He also was great against the press by being at mid count - where he could catch it up high and then turn and pass to a streaking Adams. While I criticized KO for having Jackson throw the in bounds pass when we were down by three with 1.4 seconds left a few games agosincevitvtook a shooter away - but it's clear KO trusts his passing over Purvis's.

Adams got assists and played pretty well but he did look tired at times. There's a lot of weight on his shoulders.

The light has really gone on for Facey - he is starting to really play the productive minutes I have always thought he could play. I liked his release on his shots, rebounding and his shut down defense.

Quite frankly, I could critique Brimah but he did establish the defense in the first half by blocking shots. Sure he blocked some out of bounds and he went 0-3,when we tried to reward him on offense for his defennse after the blocks. I will give Coach Miller credit for questioning the ref during a timeout after Brimah was knocked to the floor. We need more of that.

LOL surprise - I am not a big fan of the zone - especially since there is often confusion about what type of zonewe were in.
In a 14 point stomping of Temple the 3 best players were Facey, Adams & Brimah and yet you can't resist the passive aggressive "Quite frankly, I could critique Brimah" crap. While Facey was the best player last nite, the two indispensable players were Adams and Brimah - when Adams is off the floor the offense goes down the toilet and when Brimah sits the defense turns into a sieve. Brimah's block party terrified Temple to the extent that in the 2nd half, when AB was in the paint, Temple didn't even try to go to the rim -- he was a one man defensive wrecking crew, but that's still not enough I guess. Did he get carried away for a few possessions offensively in the first half -- yes. Did Adams go catatonic for about 5 minutes in the 2nd half, turning it over when he wasn't dribbling it round and round till he hoisted an off balance shot or two with no time on the clock -- yes. Is that what you want to talk about -- well apparently in Brimah's case the answer is yes. Adams was great, Brimah was great, Facey was xtra great, Jackson was very good, Purvis played well defensively and contributed a bit on offense, the coaching staff did a good job and we got a big win. Enjoy it without pissing on anyone for a change.

Reaction Score
Brimah and Facey were great last night. I think they should just switch their traditional offensive roles. Brimah is useless getting the ball on the low block. On offense, he should be looking for nothing more than offensive rebounds and put backs, after four painful years of him trying to create for himself it's obvious he can't. I think that his jockeying for space is what gets him out of position on the offensive rebounding side of things as well. Facey has now shown that he can catch the ball from ten feet out - or establish on the block - and create for himself. Beautiful to watch

C

Chief00

In a 14 point stomping of Temple the 3 best players were Facey, Adams & Brimah and yet you can't resist the passive aggressive "Quite frankly, I could critique Brimah" crap. While Facey was the best player last nite, the two indispensable players were Adams and Brimah - when Adams is off the floor the offense goes down the toilet and when Brimah sits the defense turns into a sieve. Brimah's block party terrified Temple to the extent that in the 2nd half, when AB was in the paint, Temple didn't even try to go to the rim -- he was a one man defensive wrecking crew, but that's still not enough I guess. Did he get carried away for a few possessions offensively in the first half -- yes. Did Adams go catatonic for about 5 minutes in the 2nd half, turning it over when he wasn't dribbling it round and round till he hoisted an off balance shot or two with no time on the clock -- yes. Is that what you want to talk about -- well apparently in Brimah's case the answer is yes. Adams was great, Brimah was great, Facey was xtra great, Jackson was very good, Purvis played well defensively and contributed a bit on offense, the coaching staff did a good job and we got a big win. Enjoy it without pissing on anyone for a change.

Young fellow / did you read my post? I opened my post complimenting Adams observation about how the upper class players need to coach other players on the court and that has in part helped the turnaround. I did say Adams looked tired late but I said that's because he had a lot on his shoulders.
I said Brimah established the defense in the first half. It is true I could critique his rebounding/posting/screening but I said I wouldn't.
One reason people may read my posts and not yours is I am objective and honest about players.
So the bottomline - go back and get some facts before you say foolish things.

C

Chief00

You're welcome. Sorry you couldn't party last night. Hopefully you'll make up for it after Georgetown.
Unfortunately, I am going to have to pass on the GT game. Mr Bunk was planning on going though, as of a week ago, so UConn Nation will be well represented.

C

chiller99.5

When watching KO this season I see him in the position of being limited to what he can change during a game. As others have said with Adams off the court things just dont run right and his playing minutes are really skyrocketing him and Purvis. The zone is a given for both foul protection and energy saving and full court traps and presses cant be in the playbook at this point.

Reaction Score
We are coming to where we need to be. Facey is advanced as a fully formed stretching 4 playing well with Brimah; Adams is buckets full of assists while being a scary good penetrator scoring PG; Brimah can rage out 3 blocks in 20 seconds and then set the tone for Defense for the balance of the game; Jackson has the game slowing down for him to where he can pull the adept post moves instead of using rush moves for interior shots and his 3 point form assures a high percentage; and Purvis is leadership and good floor play in an athletic body - his offense will vary as he doesn't get consistent rhythm nor streaks of explosion - but he can always show up with defense and passion. Purvis will show us 2-4 turnovers a game with just poor ball handling or too much push.

There ... we have a semblance of solid 5 man play.

Mix in Christian Vital with a consistent play now. Push Enoch and Durham to add something better in their minutes.

When we won in 2014 ... this was what I thought Ollie did well. I don't expect a run this year. I expect 8 guys that got far better and the team got far better because the HC found a way to play them better in Team ball. KO is getting better in many elements of coaching. This is a development year and that includes the HC.

C

Chief00

When watching KO this season I see him in the position of being limited to what he can change during a game. As others have said with Adams off the court things just dont run right and his playing minutes are really skyrocketing him and Purvis. The zone is a given for both foul protection and energy saving and full court traps and presses cant be in the playbook at this point.
Correction- The zone is fools gold and hurts recruiting. One reason we have played better the last two games is KO going back to more man.
Part of the zone is the desire to pace oneself, but playing to win and pacing oneself are two contradicting behaviors. KO gets it, I think. He told me he doesn't like this zone stuff either but did it due to unusual circumstances. Hopefully with us getting more comfortable with circumstances - we can lessen zone play more even without extending our rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

It's cool, Chief, we've got room for casual fans like you too.
Traveling to away game filters out the casual fans but unfortunately I have been traveling too much and have a conflict. How is that for excuses?

Reaction Score
The reason they didn't play more zone was because Brimah and the other bigs weren't in foul trouble either of the last two games. Ollie uses the zone to buy minutes when the guards are fatigued or they don't have Brimah's rim protection.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We are coming to where we need to be. Facey is advanced as a fully formed stretching 4 playing well with Brimah; Adams is buckets full of assists while being a scary good penetrator scoring PG; Brimah can rage out 3 blocks in 20 seconds and then set the tone for Defense for the balance of the game; Jackson has the game slowing down for him to where he can pull the adept post moves instead of using rush moves for interior shots and his 3 point form assures a high percentage; and Purvis is leadership and good floor play in an athletic body - his offense will vary as he doesn't get consistent rhythm nor streaks of explosion - but he can always show up with defense and passion. Purvis will show us 2-4 turnovers a game with just poor ball handling or too much push.

There ... we have a semblance of solid 5 man play.

Mix in Christian Vital with a consistent play now. Push Enoch and Durham to add something better in their minutes.

When we won in 2014 ... this was what I thought Ollie did well. I don't expect a run this year. I expect 8 guys that got far better and the team got far better because the HC found a way to play them better in Team ball. KO is getting better in many elements of coaching. This is a development year and that includes the HC.

Yes, please.

I'm starting to feel like it's not too much to ask for defensive stops, made free throws, and reduced turnovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom