Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Grinding out a win - learning how to win ugly is better than losing.
- Vital played well, made some shots and even got some rebounds outmuscling our Bigs. He needs to make better decisions on the break.
- Facey had some nice shots and some air balls - needs consistency.
- Purvis - ok you know that stepping out of bounds just drives me crazy - sorry I can't get past that - but I do like Purvis and wish him the very best. He also got outmuscled by the man he was guarded again and again - Another recurring theme under Travis our S&C coach.
- Jackson - I kind of like when he plays with Adams and Vital. Still had stuff to learn but usually does at least something productive with his minutes.
- Brimah - rebounded pretty good - still blocks shots out of bounds rather than inbounds - showed a lack of concentration on the foul line - made a couple post shots - still can't absorb contact and make a three point play
- Adams is our star player - push and pull - tonight he did not fulfill what he is capable of - but he's our guy from what everyone tells me
- Enoch - I don't think we can be good without Steven developing - it's painful at times but KO needs to give him minutes

C

Chief00

Going to bed early tonight - so if you have any questions on my post please get them in during the next half hour or we will cover tomorrow morning.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is Rodney getting better with his out of bounds catching?

It's his third year in the program and the staff only has 10-12 weeks left to work with him.

Is he still putting like his whole foot over the line, or is he like halfway inbounds? If the coaches can just get him to where it's only his heel that is out of bounds that would be a tremendous improvement.

I know the NCAA ties coaches hands with the number of contact hours during a week, so there's only so many drills the coaches can do.

What drill can the S&C coach do to help him with this?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Going to bed early tonight - so if you have any questions on my post please get them in during the next half hour or we will cover tomorrow morning.

If UConn wins the AAC tournament with a losing record - should they decline the auto-bid to the NCAA tourney?

Reaction Score
- Adams is our star player - push and pull - tonight he did not fulfill what he is capable of - but he's our guy from what everyone tells me.

Really:rolleyes:.

Who's everyone, and what do your eyes tell you?

Did you not watch his performance in Maui?

C

Chief00

Is Rodney getting better with his out of bounds catching?

It's his third year in the program and the staff only has 10-12 weeks left to work with him.

Is he still putting like his whole foot over the line, or is he like halfway inbounds? If the coaches can just get him to where it's only his heel that is out of bounds that would be a tremendous improvement.

I know the NCAA ties coaches hands with the number of contact hours during a week, so there's only so many drills the coaches can do.

What drill can the S&C coach do to help him with this?

Any portion of the foot or toe on the line is out of bounds. In the half court offense standing out of bounds to catch the ball is simply inexcusable.

There is a lot of justified criticism of Travis as our S&C coach - but standing out of bounds is a mental focus issue not a S&C issue.

The only drill beneficial that I can think of is immediate and prolong benching with someone who does that.

I hope this all helps.

C

Chief00

Really:rolleyes:.

Who's everyone, and what do your eyes tell you?

Did you not watch his performance in Maui?

I did not make it out to Maui this year due to a family medical situation. I did see a lot of the action on TV. Adams put up some big time points in the second half of games.

My take is from those I talk to is that he has the ability - hard work, focus and consistency is what he needs to be a star player. I am starting to see some more leadership especially with Gilbert sidelined and Purvis playing up and down.

C

Chief00

If UConn wins the AAC tournament with a losing record - should they decline the auto-bid to the NCAA tourney?
If they win the conference tournament they should go dancing because that's winning something meaningful.
Now I get it you are comparing that to my stand on the football bowl. But in football we did not win the AAC regular season in either division or a league championship game. We also did not have a winning record. So we did not check any box in my view.

Reaction Score
You might find this interesting from your vantage point at the game last night. It has to do with JA on occasion when gassed pulling on his uniform trousers/BRIEFS. Occasionally (65% of the time as a guesstimate) this is the cause of his uniform jersey becoming untucked.

When the ref brought up this issue to JA last night on the court he acquiesced to the officials request to tuck his jersey into his briefs.

From my vantage point this exchange was the pinnacle of my viewing experience. The next XL game should provide so many more great memories to add to the history books. I can't wait. So much to look forward to!

Reaction Score
@Chief00 Big man question; is this release taught or natural?

$

C

Chief00

@Chief00 Big man question; is this release taught or natural?

$

LOL - Any release off the lower palm of your hands is definitely not taught - you need to release your shots off your fingertips.
I once taught a football player how to shoot - I compared shooting off your fingers not your palm with catching a football with your hands not your body - he seemed to get it

C

Chief00

Thanks everyone - I am going to officially close this thread - will be out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom