Chief's Briefs | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I am not going to go over the same ground again. More of the same and that's not Chief.
However, a few strategic thoughts:
1) I warned people about "depth" - too many guys of similar ability not wanting to pass the ball to a teammate of equal ability.

2) I had mixed feelings about Calhoun using the quick hook on guys early in the game - did it hurt the flow of the game? A few fragile guys were never the same? Got to tell you - I really appreciate that coaching tactic now. When a guy passes up an open teammate or doesn't grab a rebound with two hands - make it a teachable moment and immediately remove him from the game.

3) All points bulletin - looking for a 6-5 dude who will kick your butt if you don't rebound - criminal background preferred - no red soxs - and if you don't scare the heck out of the interviewer your not going to be hired as our Bigs Coach.

4) To my friend KO - The Golden State pro style spread the court offense only works if dudes can shoot from 3. Leaving a guy open by 10'feet because he can't shoot just gives the defense one more rebounder.

5) Are our guys out of shape or do they just mentally breakdown the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. Time to stop the leave your man wide open to help out defense. Challenge every one to play man on man - if you absolutely need to switch do so but each man should be covered. Suggest practice with a 40 second shot clock and play out every possession.

6) Guys better be in the gym shooting late at night - tired of this academic studying BS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The announcer last night showed a replay when Larrier had the ball at the top of the key. Facey was 'wide' open under the basket in direct sight of Larrier. Larrier paused (too late) then decided to hoist a 3 pointer which he missed. Its one play but systemic, especially when we play small with so many ball handlers. How many kickouts do we have in 2 games?

That is a teaching moment if Ollie chooses to find that play on the tape. We are not taking the best shot, and certainly not creating the better shot for teammates. Ollie spoke of hero ball in the Presser (something about 10 pt play, whatever that means). Therefore if he is aware of this problem, I expect him to fix it and bring a more unselfish product to the floor in California, Thursday.

If the problem exist then its coaching, or players ignoring the Coach. We will see.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not sure if it could be seen on TV but on more than one occasion after Ollie called a timeout he went straight into the face of Jackson, usually for a defensive mistake and had a few words. Atleast one or two times Jackson came out next opportunity and scored.

I agree Chief.
He needs less stank face and more cold shoulder and benching players when they leave a pile of poo on the court. Not trying to make him Jim Calhoun but he needs more authority over the players rather than being one of them. Ollie is not to blame completely for these troubles, but if it is to turn around, it starts with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom