Chief's Briefs - Special Edition | The Boneyard

Chief's Briefs - Special Edition

C

Chief00

I thought it was time to make a general observation as I pick up themes of various threads and posts.

Many here aspire for UConn MBB to be a college basketball blue blood. We can't do this or that because it might impact becoming that image.

Chief00 thinks after 5 Final Fours and 4 NC's in the last 18 years, if the media and powers to be don't consider us a blue blood it ain't going to happen. Some dude that covers the SEC that posters push back on said, well we did not win a championship for over 90 years before we won - so that disqualifies us.

Bottomline, there is nothing we can do today or tomorrow to be a blue blood like hiring another Ivy League coach, having the highest APR or not hiring great coaches that may have some minor personal baggage.

So what do we do? Do exactly what James C Calhoun did and that is focus on beating those SOB's. Push the envelope in all areas and come in motivated each and every day to take it to those dudes.

The sooner we all realize this, and the powers to be, the sooner we will win another NC.

Reaction Score
That's true, although we are referred to as a blue blood fairly often in the media. The problem is that in the AAC, we need to go to the Final Four every 3 years to remain in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Our resume is completely unique. Every "blue blood" wishes they've done the things we've done in recent tournaments. If we haven't done enough at this point I'm not interested.

Reaction Score
Duke didn't win their first title until 91....a whopping 8 years before our first. If someone brings up that we've only won he past 30 years ...well same for Duke except they won a little more prior to hiring K than we did before Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I thought it was time to make a general observation as I pick up themes of various threads and posts.

Many here aspire for UConn MBB to be a college basketball blue blood. We can't do this or that because it might impact becoming that image.

Chief00 thinks after 5 Final Fours and 4 NC's in the last 18 years, if the media and powers to be don't consider us a blue blood it ain't going to happen. Some dude that covers the SEC that posters push back on said, well we did not win a championship for over 90 years before we won - so that disqualifies us.

Bottomline, there is nothing we can do today or tomorrow to be a blue blood like hiring another Ivy League coach, having the highest APR or not hiring great coaches that may have some minor personal baggage.

So what do we do? Do exactly what James C Calhoun did and that is focus on beating those SOB's. Push the envelope in all areas and come in motivated each and every day to take it to those dudes.

The sooner we all realize this, and the powers to be, the sooner we will win another NC.
It's James "A" Calhoun. The A stands for Alfred

Reaction Score

Is this your long promised "breakdown"? Remarkably little insight for such a knowledgeable insider. Even for you this is disappointing.

C

Chief00

The point is since Calhoun we have always taken our own path and because of some BS from the NCAA, I don't think that should change. What I am telling the casual fans is, quite frankly, don't aspire to be a blue blood. Rather aspire to kick the blue bloods butt. That's UConn basketball and not this Warde Manuel quest for a 1,000 APR and no TV or ticket money in the bank to pay the bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The point is since Calhoun we have always tsken our own path and because of some BS from the NCAA, I don't think that should change. What I am telling the casual fans is, quite frankly, don't aspire to be a blue blood. Rather aspire to kick the blue bloods butt. That's UConn basketball and not this Warde Manuel quest for a 1,000 APR and no TV or ticket money in the bank to pay the bills.

Can you define casual fan for me? I'm worried I might be falling into that trap.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The point is since Calhoun we have always tsken our own path and because of some BS from the NCAA, I don't think that should change. What I am telling the casual fans is, quite frankly, don't aspire to be a blue blood. Rather aspire to kick the blue bloods butt. That's UConn basketball and not this Warde Manuel quest for a 1,000 APR and no TV or ticket money in the bank to pay the bills.

It's impressive how daft you are.

The "Warde Manuel quest for a 1,000 APR" is nothing more than making sure this team never get some another postseason ban. Because if you actually cared about the program winning championships, you would want them to avoid a tourney ban at all costs. But it's clear you don't want that -- this is just some emotional grudge you have against academics. Like that time you made the argument that Ollie should avoid recruiting players for whom academics was important because you somehow thought those players weren't devoted to the game enough.

Or you just want to see UConn be banned from the tourney again because you don't want anyone not named Calhoun to be successful here. That much is abundantly clear.

C

Chief00

I'm disappointed. Considering Miller and Travis both got fired this week, I was expecting Chief to blow his wad in these Briefs.
I will break it down but I have this thing about not gloating about someone being fired eventhough it was necessary. As for Miller I am really conflicted, as I stated many times there are things he does well - scouting, tracking timeouts/fouls and tours of facilities but they had him doing two things he does poorly - recruiting and Big Coaching. Both KO and Glen need to fake responsibility for that. A manager needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of his team and allocate resources accordingly. Perhaps Miller had too much pride, took orders without question or whatever and did not say KO - I am not who you want as Bigs Coach but I can do this other stuff really well.

C

Chief00

It's impressive how daft you are.

The "Warde Manuel quest for a 1,000 APR" is nothing more than making sure this team never get some another postseason ban. Because if you actually cared about the program winning championships, you would want them to avoid a tourney ban at all costs. But it's clear you don't want that -- this is just some emotional grudge you have against academics. Like that time you made the argument that Ollie should avoid recruiting players for whom academics was important because you somehow thought those players weren't devoted to the game enough.

Or you just want to see UConn be banned from the tourney again because you don't want anyone not named Calhoun to be successful here. That much is abundantly clear.

When did I say that? The only connected thing I recall is when I said that Okafor should spend more time practicing FTs than in a library but that's something I said to him too and we both laughed.....probably cuz it made sense.

Being banned from the tournament for a year and then winning a NC Championship after winning it 3 years earlier isn't as bad as having a losing record and not making the tournament. At least we were doing what a non blue blood needs to do to win.

The truth is UCLA, UNC, UK, CUSE, UL, and Duke all have done stuff as bad or worse than us. It's the price of doing business in a corrupt organization (NCAA). If you are a non blue blood you will be punished more harshly - not fair but a fact of life.
Jim Calhoun took exactly the right approach! No apologies!

Reaction Score
Can you define casual fan for me? I'm worried I might be falling into that trap.
Anyone who disagrees with or criticizes Chief is labeled a casual fan in his warped little mind. You have nothing to worry about as long as you have half a brain.

Reaction Score
When did I say that? The only connected thing I recall is when I said that Okafor should spend more time practicing FTs than in a library but that's something I said to him too and we both laughed.....probably cuz it made sense.

Being banned from the tournament for a year and then winning a NC Championship after winning it 3 years earlier isn't as bad as having a losing record and not making the tournament. At least we were doing what a non blue blood needs to do to win.

The truth is UCLA, UNC, UK, CUSE, UL, and Duke all have done stuff as bad or worse than us. It's the price of doing business in a corrupt organization (NCAA). If you are a non blue blood you will be punished more harshly - not fair but a fact of life.
Jim Calhoun took exactly the right approach! No apologies!
You and Emeka having a laugh.......now THAT is funny.

C

Chief00

Anyone who disagrees with or criticizes Chief is labeled a casual fan in his warped little mind. You have nothing to worry about as long as you have half a brain.
I have always said UConn needs the casual fan and I have never criticized them. In fact, on the football board I came to their defense, when some posters wanted them in their seats before kickoff. While I do that myself the reality is a lot of these casual fans are more into tailgating than the game and it's better to have them there for 3+ quarters than not at all. They also bought a ticket.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't be fooled - he may be a serious guy - but he had a sense of humor.
You are correct - I have had the opportunity to talk with Emeka on several occasions and he has a great sense of humor. UConngb - how many interactions have you had with EO?
I also agree with your statement of the other bluebloods and their transgressions being either ignored or treated with a basic hand slap while UConn and others deemed to be lessor by that idiotic organization get the full blown sentence. I truly think that our current AD will not allow that to happen again - or at least while he is there.
I'll let others petty argue with your additional points

C

Chief00

You are correct - I have had the opportunity to talk with Emeka on several occasions and he has a great sense of humor. UConngb - how many interactions have you had with EO?
I also agree with your statement of the other bluebloods and their transgressions being either ignored or treated with a basic hand slap while UConn and others deemed to be lessor by that idiotic organization get the full blown sentence. I truly think that our current AD will not allow that to happen again - or at least while he is there.

I got a ticket for a mutual friend to the F4 in SA and he couldn't have been more appreciative. The price was me busting him on his FTs. He had an infectious laugh.
I will never forget that big time rebound against Duke. Can anyone post a video of that. That was when that Hudy chick made guys unbelievably strong / he had Duke guys draped all over him but he got the ball.

I agree on Benedict - that dude is serious stuff - have not seen his sense of humor yet - but don't know him well enough I guess LOL

Reaction Score
Many actually. I have been close to the program since I was in school in the late 80s and spent many, many nights w Cliff, Phil and the rest of the boys. I just don't feel the need to come on a message board and exploit those relationships. I have seen things that many in this board wouldn't believe, but I am not going to compromise those relationships for a few likes on a message board. Nor do I have such an inferiority complex that I feel the need to. Chief takes his schtick to another level and QUITE FRANKLY, it reflects very poorly on him as a person.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed. Considering Miller and Travis both got fired this week, I was expecting Chief to blow his wad in these Briefs.

What? This is premium content!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have always said UConn needs the casual fan and I have never criticized them. In fact, on the football board I came to their defense, when some posters wanted them in their seats before kickoff. While I do that myself the reality is a lot of these casual fans are more into tailgating than the game and it's better to have them there for 3+ quarters than not at all. They also bought a ticket.

No one on this board is a casual fan.

C

Chief00

Many actually. I have been close to the program since I was in school in the late 80s and spent many, many nights w Cliff, Phil and the rest of the boys. I just don't feel the need to come on a message board and exploit those relationships. I have seen things that many in this board wouldn't believe, but I am not going to compromise those relationships for a few likes on a message board. Nor do I have such an inferiority complex that I feel the need to. Chief takes his schtick to another level and QUITE FRANKLY, it reflects very poorly on him as a person.

You should exploit your relationship with Stairmaster - Peas in the pod

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom