Chiefs Briefs - Manhattan Edition | The Boneyard

Chiefs Briefs - Manhattan Edition

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Tristen Newton for making his place in UConn history with hs third Triple Double. With all the great ones that come through Storrs, that’s is an amazing accomplishment. He’s right up there with Shabazz.

Cam Spencer led the team with 18 points, including 4 for 4 from three. Cam has been everything his teammates said he was last summer. A great 3 point shooter but also a three level scorer. A great shooter but also an unselfish teammate.

As usual with this group it is an unselfish old school basketball effort that Chief loves.

Donovan showed signs of overcoming his foot injury by dunking inside and being aggressive in the paint.

If Diarra continues to score (4 for 5 today from field & 2 for 2 FT) he will continue to get minutes with his ball handling, ball push and on the ball pressure defense.

Manhattan’s scouting report was to attack Alex Karaban on defense early and Alex made that a fools errand as he consistently shut down everything they threw his way.

We shot 58%from the field compared to 39% for our opponents. Good offense, tough defense. While a small sample going 9-9 from the foul line represents a good habit. In big games, when they come, foul shooting will be one of the keys.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Tristen Newton for making his place in UConn history with hs third Triple Double. With all the great ones that come through Storrs, that’s is an amazing accomplishment. He’s right up there with Shabazz.

Cam Spencer led the team with 18 points, including 4 for 4 from three. Cam has been everything his teammates said he was last summer. A great 3 point shooter but also a three level scorer. A great shooter but also an unselfish teammate.

As usual with this group it is an unselfish old school basketball effort that Chief loves.

Donovan showed signs of overcoming his foot injury by dunking inside and being aggressive in the paint.

If Diarra continues to score (4 for 5 today from field & 2 for 2 FT) he will continue to get minutes with his ball handling, ball push and on the ball pressure defense.

Manhattan’s scouting report was to attack Alex Karaban on defense early and Alex made that a fools errand as he consistently shut down everything they threw his way.

We shot 58%from the field compared to 39% for our opponents. Good offense, tough defense. While a small sample going 9-9 from the foul line represents a good habit. In big games, when they come, foul shooting will be one of the keys.
Manhattan giving AK a good workout is a bonus. Newton just seems to operate with a lot of comfort on the floor. Diarra threatening to become a microwave.

Reaction Score
Manhattan giving AK a good workout is a bonus. Newton just seems to operate with a lot of comfort on the floor. Diarra threatening to become a microwave.
I agree, I have learned never to underestimate the upside results of anything Alex Karaban focuses on.

caw

Reaction Score
Diarra has made a leap since last year it seems to me doing everything better, and that’s good for the second unit.

Agreed, his shot looks better when he is set also.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Liked the activity and aggression from DC. SJ continues to be getting better each game. HD looks like a real all around guard coming off bench. SB going to hoop and learning how to use his length and play through contact. Stewart had his best game. Stroke looked pure. TN was as Hurley described one of the best guards in the country. Cam is better than expected and a lot was expected. AK is AK I don’t worry about him. Whenever we need him he will go for 20. SC don’t rush back please, play it smart. But when he comes back we are starting too see the rotation. We will be nine deep and maybe ten if needed. Other than doing a better job stopping ball penetration we are + in almost everything. We will get the D figured out. We miss SC on D more than his offense and that is a compliment to SC.

Reaction Score
Whoops, I posted my comments on this game in the Chief Texas thread. Sorry, too tired to transpose.

Reaction Score
Chief - Great write up/review. Spot on.

I was at the game (first time in XL in ages) and unfortunately it was boring.

Warmups were better than the game. Oh btw - Samson Johnson is very talented, maybe a year away from possibly lights out lottery pick. AK doesn’t miss from 3 and Spencer is a JOY to watch (just not sure his game is NBA, but hope he makes bank overseas).

Hoping Monday that Gampel has more energy.

Now I know why BY posters have commented on with the amount of “fans” milling around the XL concourse ALL game long……Jeez. Maybe it’s a different vibe during BE play.

Reaction Score
Liked the activity and aggression from DC. SJ continues to be getting better each game. HD looks like a real all around guard coming off bench. SB going to hoop and learning how to use his length and play through contact. Stewart had his best game. Stroke looked pure. TN was as Hurley described one of the best guards in the country. Cam is better than expected and a lot was expected. AK is AK I don’t worry about him. Whenever we need him he will go for 20. SC don’t rush back please, play it smart. But when he comes back we are starting too see the rotation. We will be nine deep and maybe ten if needed. Other than doing a better job stopping ball penetration we are + in almost everything. We will get the D figured out. We miss SC on D more than his offense and that is a compliment to SC.
I agree Spencer’s shot looked picture perfect.
Also, I love Stephen Castle’s desire to get back quickly. So different than the Bouknight saga. However, I agree he should be brought back with patience and conservative medical approach.

Reaction Score
I agree Spencer’s shot looked picture perfect.
Also, I love Stephen Castle’s desire to get back quickly. So different than the Bouknight saga. However, I agree he should be brought back with patience and conservative medical approach.
Hurley seemed to laugh the back by KU thing off. Dan wants him ready to roll in March. It could be valuable to see what the seven getting major minutes can do against KU and NC. Castle will be back soon enough to mesh back as a starter. Another deep team that offers intriguing player combinations.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest news from this game was Clingan was 3-3 from the FT line, and dunked 3 times in traffic. Those are really good signs.

Oh, and everyone else was great. Good job, good effort.
I agree that was a great sign that Donovan was dunking and making foul shots.

Reaction Score
I agree that was a great sign that Donovan was dunking and making foul shots.
People were panicking as he played the game before with a respiratory infection. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
People were panicking as he played the game before with a respiratory infection. Unbelievable.
I have to admit, I watch his foot closely. I can’t get Bill Walton out of my mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom