Chief Briefs - ECU Edition | The Boneyard

Chief Briefs - ECU Edition

C

Chief00

First, I have become convinced that as badly as the XL needs to be remodeled - the management must go - and the staff should reapply with others for all positions. Rather than rant on about this, simply if you have been to a game recently you know what I mean.

Now to basketball - a lot of thoughts today.

- Rather than shorten the rotation KO has added to it as we approach mid season. This is concerning because it’s difficult to build chemistry under these circumstances. Why Big Dave is getting minutes rather than Carlton, Whaley or Williams is beyond me.

- As for Williams, other than the two missed block outs on foul shots, he played well given our team. He actually works at rebounding position and fights hard. His foul shot stroke looked good as well.

- Whaley was productive on his minutes.

- After last game one poster made a good point. As KO gets closer to crunch time he almost always goes 3 guards, Larrier and one Big. I really think 2 Bigs are needed for part of that time given our teams makeup and rebounding woes.

- Its a real puzzle why we choose to double mediocre players to leave guys open for 3’s. Thankfully ECU missed some open looks.

- While I appreciate the value of mixing up defenses - I see a lot of vulnerability out there in some of our gimmick zones.

- Larrier is so much more efficient inside of 12-15 feet than at the 3 line.

- I thought KO really worked hard out there today.

- Throwing the ball high for Larrier on our inbounds play is not the answer. We need better screens and sharper cuts.

I could go on but enough for now.

C

Chief00

You mean how XL management blocked off some exits because they couldn't be bothered to make them safe 2 days after a storm?

Yes, and actually the exit by The Russian Lady was very icy the WSU game and the snow would have been on top of that.

The lines before the game by Church St were inexcusable with maybe just three doors open. The temperature throughout the arena was way too cold. The staff seems very contented because its the way they have always done things.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You mean how XL management blocked off some exits because they couldn't be bothered to make them safe 2 days after a storm?

Where is the it's not a dump crew today? Did any of the bathrooms work?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
First, I have become convinced that as badly as the XL needs to be remodeled - the management must go - and the staff should reapply with others for all positions. Rather than rant on about this, simply if you have been to a game recently you know what I mean.

I loved the Ron Jeremy-looking dude in a yellow jacket before the Wichita State game screaming at people 2 feet from the gates to remove all the stuff from their pockets and also turning away women who had purses right at the door, freaking awesome way to treat the fans.

The staff and the way they treat folks is my biggest issue. The building sucks, we know that- but do the staffers all need to be jerks, or be put in position to act like jerks? I know its tough for folks and they're just at work at a crummy job, but man, I'm not the one paying you $11 an hour, why are you yelling at me?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Chief can you ask why Ollie loves calling timeouts in the endgame that benefit the other team more than UConn? After they used the foul they had to give - why in the world did they call timeout - letting ECU save their last and still get the opportunity to set something up.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Let me guess- when you tried to go out those exits, instead of being told you couldn't use them because of the snow, someone screamed at you for having the gall to try and open a door that was an exit?

Reaction Score
I can't get excited either way about the XL. All I know is there are very few 40+ year old arenas in service anywhere. I go through security, show my ticket, go to my seat in 124 and leave after 2+ hours. This year it has not been very entertaining. Jalen Adams doesn't go straight to the hoop anymore even when there's an opening.

Reaction Score
Yes, and actually the exit by The Russian Lady was very icy the WSU game and the snow would have been on top of that.

The lines before the game before the game by Church St were inexcusable with maybe just three doors open. The temperature throughout the arena was way too cold. The staff seems very contented because its the way they have always done things.
I've started going in through the garage on Asylum St. Up one flight of stairs and end up at main entrance.

Reaction Score
Let me guess- when you tried to go out those exits, instead of being told you couldn't use them because of the snow, someone screamed at you for having the gall to try and open a door that was an exit?

The woman just shook her head and pointed down the concourse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can't get excited either way about the XL. All I know is there are very few 40+ year old arenas in service anywhere. I go through security, show my ticket, go to my seat in 124 and leave after 2+ hours. This year it has not been very entertaining. Jalen Adams doesn't go straight to the hoop anymore even when there's an opening.

If your expectation of a home arena is - I had a seat and the building didn't collapse on me today, then yes it meets that standard for sure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I loved the Ron Jeremy-looking dude in a yellow jacket before the Wichita State game screaming at people 2 feet from the gates to remove all the stuff from their pockets and also turning away women who had purses right at the door, freaking awesome way to treat the fans.

The staff and the way they treat folks is my biggest issue. The building sucks, we know that- but do the staffers all need to be jerks, or be put in position to act like jerks? I know its tough for folks and they're just at work at a crummy job, but man, I'm not the one paying you $11 an hour, why are you yelling at me?

Shouldn't be surprised by a power trip when life's choices have you wearing a yellow jacket as an arena security guard.

C

Chief00

Chief can you ask why Ollie loves calling timeouts in the endgame that benefit the other team more than UConn? After they used the foul they had to give - why in the world did they call timeout - letting ECU save their last and still get the opportunity to set something up.

That foul to give almost lost the game as the guy almost got a shot off from three. I will try to check on that - got busy work week next week - but I will try.

Reaction Score
That foul to give almost lost the game as the guy almost got a shot off from three. I will try to check on that - got busy work week next week - but I will try.

Looked like a scuffle in the hand shake line at the end between Adams and the big ECU center, anyone see what happened?

Reaction Score
Also saw an XL Center usher kick out a group of moms and their young daughters from seats no one was sitting in. What a joke

C

Chief00

Looked like a scuffle in the hand shake line at the end between Adams and the big ECU center, anyone see what happened?

That was mentioned in the post game presser - I was walking out at the time so I did not see it.
One thing about our team is that there doesn’t seem to be much family connection. Perhaps due to distance from home for many players or individual circumstance but using today as an example there were no family members at the game that I ran into. So different from the Kemba days, Bazz’s Mom, Dre ‘s Mom, the Boatshow crew, Bunkey adopted cousin of so many, etc. . I miss that and when the families are close often the teamwork is better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom