Chief’s Briefs - WSU | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - WSU

C

Chief00

Halftime PREVIEW:

We continue to commit the same foolish fouls that we did in November and now it’s February.

So Cobb is in street clothes - why do you unsuspend a Big, take him on a road trip and not have him available - what’s the point?

I still don’t understand the logic of putting Adams in the back of a zone against a team that has Bigs who attack the boards. Update, Vital is now in the back and just fouled a Big. That doesn’t solve the problem.

The Furious Five remains in tact - today we highlight getting out rebounded and poor 3 point shot defense. Offensive rebounds against our outmanned guards is putting them in a position to fail. We are losing the offensive rebound battle 2 to 1. On the threes you need to guard the guy before he gets the ball and force him off his sweet spot. All these dudes are getting wide open shots from the spots that they are most comfortable with.

Larrier is still doing the leg kick and falling back on his shots routine. He needs to be coached out of these bad habits. Add running the baseline on an inbounds not a made basket to the list of coachable moments.

A zone against this team is a really bad idea.

Chief would love to chart WSU shots - either at the rim or 3.

KO is not fair in his evaluation of Williams - he gets a dunk then gets pine. Sure his man hit a three but join the club. Finally gets back in and hustles.

Ok, WSU has now hit 8 threes - a team usually wins after 7 in a game. There is still 4:22 minutes left in the first half.

I will update as appropriate but got plans after the game.

pj

Reaction Score
55 points in a half. Is this a 48 minute game?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So Cobb is in street clothes - why do you unsuspend a Big, take him on a road trip and not have him available - what’s the point?]
Make Sid jealous?
Make NCAA feel bad about denying Sid's appeal?
Try and distract us from everything else?

C

Chief00

We take 7 points off the lead and instead of riding the horse, KO substitutes out Williams and Vital - up to 25 points again. Over coaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Williams is our most hungry rebounder.

I think the era of playing the guard in the back of the zone is over tonight. It’s been a total disaster.

So we're going to play all 3 guards in the back of the zone?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Halftime PREVIEW:

We continue to commit the same foolish fouls that we did in November and now it’s February.

So Cobb is in street clothes - why do you unsuspend a Big, take him on a road trip and not have him available - what’s the point?

I still don’t understand the logic of putting Adams in the back of a zone against a team that has Bigs who attack the boards. Update, Vital is now in the back and just fouled a Big. That doesn’t solve the problem.

The Furious Five remains in tact - today we highlight getting out rebounded and poor 3 point shot defense. Offensive rebounds against our outmanned guards is putting them in a position to fail. We are losing the offensive rebound battle 2 to 1. On the threes you need to guard the guy before he gets the ball and force him off his sweet spot. All these dudes are getting wide open shots from the spots that they are most comfortable with.

Larrier is still doing the leg kick and falling back on his shots routine. He needs to be coached out of these bad habits. Add running the baseline on an inbounds not a made basket to the list of coachable moments.

KO is not fair in his evaluation of Williams - he gets a dunk then gets pine. Sure his man hit a three but join the club. Finally gets back in and hustles.

Ok, WSU has now hit 8 threes - a team usually wins after 7 in a game. There is still 4:22 minutes left in the first half.

I agree 100% on Williams. That situation has happened all year. Nice reward huh? Slam it home and get pulled. Actually I was shocked when Williams played a good part of the game, and I was impressed in his hustle. He seems to know the game compare to our other...um..bigs?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Once again another 3 point Tsunami. (sp) I have said all year, we do need improvement on the three pointer defense, however come on guys they dribble down the court, no set up for the shot and launches it for a swish. Almost every team this year has rocketed three's on our boys. WS was doing it all game. 14 big one's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Once again another 3 point Tsunami. (sp) I have said all year, we do need improvement on the three pointer defense, however come on guys they dribble down the court, no set up for the shot and launches it for a swish. Almost every team this year has rocketed three's on our boys. WS was doing it all game. 14 big one's.

Once you get in rhythm, burying threes comes in bunches. We get teams hotter than a snake's @ss in a wagon rut.

Reaction Score
Halftime PREVIEW:

Williams is really slow. Other than DO he may have the slowest feet on the team. This may be the reason he gets pine.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore made his name on defense and toughness, our guards must make him sick
Nobody would ever confuse Ricky Moore with any of our current guards on defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
80% of their games WSU has hit tons of 3's and there's folks on here who act like it is an anomaly.
The 3's weren't as bad as the second chances and offensive rebounds that the WSU seniors were getting against freshmen - another men vs boys encounter
TL is useless against team who have any bulk and body up on him - which is most teams

C

Chief00

80% of their games WSU has hit tons of 3's and there's folks on here who act like it is an anomaly.
The 3's weren't as bad as the second chances and offensive rebounds that the WSU seniors were getting against freshmen - another men vs boys encounter
Larrier is useless against team who have any bulk and body up on him - which is most teams

True, but against us they shot 50% from three (14-28).

Offensive rebounds, you got a point, they outrebounded us on offensive rebounds 15-5.

Williams was our top rebounder with 8. I don’t agree as someone suggested that he is slow. He has a 44 inch vertical. He is powerfully built but runs baseline to baseline in good speed. Dave O is not slow for his size either - he may lack quickness and coordination but not speed given his size.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In conference games UConn is 7th in both 3pt fg percentage made and allowed.

This teams biggest problems are obvious.

They get killed on the defensive glass and they can’t make shots.

When you are 327th in the country in eFG% you can pretty much close up shop.

C

Chief00

I agree, it’s a simple game. Throw in the turnovers and assists ratio and you have the basis covered. Calhoun used to say when he looked at the stat sheet one or two things would usually just jump off the page. Needless to say, he would immediately fix them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree, it’s a simple game. Throw in the turnovers and assists ratio and you have the basis covered. Calhoun used to say when he looked at the stat sheet one or two things would usually just jump off the page. Needless to say, he would immediately fix them.

For the season their turnover rate is average. It’s a little worse in the AAC.

I think it seems worse because you can’t give away possessions when you can’t shoot.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

One huge reason for the defensive difficulties is that, for some inexplicable reason players of all stripes seem to think they always need to help on D. That leaves a guy open, and if the opponent can move the ball they will eventually find an open shooter, either inside or from 3. That was a continuous problem yesterday.

Also - doesn’t Larrier’s travel on the baseline out of bounds play in the opening minute just epitomize the team right now?

C

Chief00

One huge reason for the defensive difficulties is that, for some inexplicable reason players of all stripes seem to think they always need to help on D. That leaves a guy open, and if the opponent can move the ball they will eventually find an open shooter, either inside or from 3. That was a continuous problem yesterday.

Also - doesn’t Larrier’s travel on the baseline out of bounds play in the opening minute just epitomize the team right now?

It just shows he’s not a student of the game and he’s not mentally engaged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom