Chief’s Briefs - USF | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - USF

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, full disclosure, due to icy conditions I did not make the trip. So unfortunately, my observations will be from watching TV:

- We don’t move the ball on offense, and take quick shots that lead to scores down the other end.

- Once again we are getting killed on the USF offensive boards. How many second chance points have we given up this year?

- Dave O is looking good and playing with fluidity and power very early - then hits the bench and doesn’t show anything after that. Particularly, his help defense resulted in fouls and missed foul shots. But, he was a big body.

- Larrier’s shot is looking relatively
smooth - similar to earlier this season. We need Adams, Larrier and Vital to all play well to have enough of offensive juice. Tonight Jalen played well, Vital
came on late and Larrier was ok.

- Whaley really has to work on his shot from the field - he has no confidence and his form is very poor. Ironically though, his foul shooting form and shot looked really good tonight.

- Adams doesn’t shoot well when his momentum takes him to the baseline for a fall away. These are usually failed drives and rather than a fade away baseline shot - he needs to send it back out for an offensive reset.

- Agree with the TV commentator - UConn is sending no one to the offensive boards.

- To the point Chief made a couple of weeks ago - back to the wall - who comes in to rescue KO - not Jim Calhoun but Larry Brown. Interesting.

Chief’s furious fives:
1) Poor shot selection, poor shooting
2) Don’t defend 3’s
3) Give up offensive rebounds leading to second chance points - 24 second choice points - poor boxing out
4) Unforced turnovers
5) No inbounds plays leading to points

A win is a win!

Last edited by a moderator:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
There's not many wins left on our remaining schedule. I suppose we could pull a Mullin, and get confident. I guess Nova had a Super Bowl hangover. How's Larry Brown going to rescue him? Once you lose the fans, you've got one foot in the grave.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
St Johns beat Nova
Big Reason - Nova had to use freshman, especially at the 4 and 5, for extended periods
The young guys who aren't ready to help really kill teams - we here at UConn have seen that this year

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A 12-12 UConn team barely survives at home against USF & a 12-13 St' John's team just beat Duke & Nova back to back..perspective.
Duke totally sucked and Nova had foul trouble all night

Reaction Score
A 12-12 UConn team barely survives at home against USF & a 12-13 St' John's team just beat Duke & Nova back to back..perspective.
Yeah but only their 1st big east win this year

C

Chief00

Enoch is stronger and more athletic. Carlton keeps his arms high and is fundamentally sound. Right now Big Dave is the only post defender who just won’t be overpowered against a good Big and he had other issues.

Reaction Score
St Johns beat Nova
Big Reason - Nova had to use freshman, especially at the 4 and 5, for extended periods
The young guys who aren't ready to help really kill teams - we here at UConn have seen that this year
Ths old guys are killing them much more.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, full disclosure, due to icy conditions I did not make the trip. So unfortunately, my observations will be from watching TV:

- We don’t move the ball on offense, and take quick shots that lead to scores down the other end.

- Once again we are getting killed on the USF offensive boards. How many second chance points have we given up this year?

- Dave O is looking good and playing with fluidity and power very early - then hits the bench and doesn’t show anything after that. Particularly, his help defense resulted in fouls and missed foul shots. But, he was a big body.

- Larrier’s shot is looking relatively
smooth - similar to earlier this season. We need Adams, Larrier and Vital to all play well to have enough of offensive juice. Tonight Jalen played well, Vital
came on late and Larrier was ok.

- Whaley really has to work on his shot from the field - he has no confidence and his form is very poor. Ironically though, his foul shooting form and shot looked really good tonight.

- Adams doesn’t shoot well when his momentum takes him to the baseline for a fall away. These are usually failed drives and rather than a fade away baseline shot - he needs to send it back out for an offensive reset.

- Agree with the TV commentator - UConn is sending no one to the offensive boards.

- To the point Chief made a couple of weeks ago - back to the wall - who comes in to rescue KO - not Jim Calhoun but Larry Brown. Interesting.

Chief’s furious fives:
1) Poor shot selection, poor shooting
2) Don’t defend 3’s
3) Give up offensive rebounds leading to second half points - 24 second choice points
4) Unforced turnovers
5) No inbounds plays leading to points

A win is a win!
As always, excellent post game analysis. Chief's furious fives are spot on- if the Huskies could remedy those they'd be in a much better position.

Reaction Score
So if you were KO - job on the line - would you bring in Larry Brown and let go of an assistant?

I would find it pretty sad. I have nothing against Larry Brown but it would just show how shattered the JC and Ollie relationship is. And as 8893 noted above Larry Brown has had his own issues with the NCAA. But this is just one casual fan's opinion.

Edit: I also didn't answer your question. Yes I would, he really doesn't have anything to lose at this point.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Ollie was asked about Larry in the post game. He says he speaks with him after almost every game. He indicated his friends son is being recruited for the golf team. Wish Larry would give him a tip or two. Brilliant coach. Maybe he help us beat SMU. Already under investigation so can't hurt there.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Can't shoot, can't rebound our misses. Same old song and dance.

Reaction Score
USF, the same team that lost to Eastern Michigan by 18 and 7th place Sun Belt team, Appalachian State (10-15 record) by 25...You can't make this stuff up.

C

Chief00

JC is employed by another school
Isn’t that some kind one of conflict
Larry Brown is also a mentor of KO
and available

Jim is currently employed by UConn. He is on the payroll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom