Chief’s Briefs - UMKC Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UMKC Edition

C

Chief00

The more Chief sees of Smith the more I am impressed. I think basketball player - he’s solid at a lot of different aspects of the game - and doesn’t make many mistakes. No wonder Hurley is high on him.
Good to see we kept a lead and did not take our foot off the gas pedal.
Although, we rebounded ok tonight - offensive rebounding is a concern. I think Yawke is potentially our best offensive rebounder. The reality is against certain teams we will need two of three guys on the floor at the same time (Josh, Cobb and Yawke). Spreading the court only goes so far with Polley - at some point the paint matters.

I thought Jalen played good D tonight and played a solid game. CV played hard but made some poor decision with the ball and did not shoot great overall.
Gilbert hit some threes - see his hard work paying off there but still needs improvement at the FT line. Gilbert made some nice passes and played good on the ball defense.

I like Josh but he wasn’t as effective as last game. He’s good when he’s able to extend arms vertical close to the basket - he never brings the ball down. What he needs to work on is gang rebounding - moving bodies etc.

Polley played better than last game - was more aggressive offensively and played better defense. Still needs to work on rebounding and post defense.

Another Chief eye test - during the timeouts dudes are paying attention. Good sign.
659B0FAE-5690-474F-BDCC-22833EA59BDC.jpeg

Reaction Score
I feel like the entire post is a humblebrag to show your seats. By the way, great seats.
I tried to post pics from the other night and they kept telling me mine were too big... that’s what she said (I did it bc I knew it would come otherwise).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A drawing? Danny was drawing something in the middle. Can you do this? Me neither. View attachment 36230
Loser. I and everyone i know can do this and chew gum at the same time. That’s my wife in the picture.

Aside from that, I’m loving this team’s intensity. I’ll take a little sloppiness or hurried play at times if the intensity level stays up.

Reaction Score
The floor mopping is hard work now that Benedict lite a fire after the exhibition game in which Jalen almost blew his knee out on a wet spot.

Hopefully Sal can get the mop crew up to speed. Travis always had them training on the wrong mopping muscles instead of explosive strength.

Reaction Score
I was at Thursday's game. I was at today's game. I am going to The Garden on Thursday. My goals for this season are to see us stay in every game and to see us finish above .500, thereby getting to a postseason tournament of some sort. With that being said, I am ecstatic at what I've seen, thus far.

The culture change is well underway. Having five capable guards allows Coach Hurley to play his style. Twelve made 3's today. Ball movement and fastbreaking like we haven't seen in a long while. I suspect that the addition of the three guys in sweatsuits will only help.

We have some issues in the frontcourt, Vital is playing himself out of the starting lineup and the freethrow shooting could be better. Who cares! This team is fun to watch. I'd love to win Thursday, but I'd be thrilled to be competitive. For my money, we weren't competitive there last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at Thursday's game. I was at today's game. I am going to The Garden on Thursday. My goals for this season are to see us stay in every game and to see us finish above .500, thereby getting to a postseason tournament of some sort. With that being said, I am ecstatic at what I've seen, thus far.

The culture change is well underway. Having five capable guards allows Coach Hurley to play his style. Twelve made 3's today. Ball movement and fastbreaking like we haven't seen in a long while. I suspect that the addition of the three guys in sweatsuits will only help.

We have some issues in the frontcourt, Vital is playing himself out of the starting lineup and the freethrow shooting could be better. Who cares! This time is fun to watch. I'd love to win Thursday, but I'd be thrilled to be competitive. For my money, we weren't competitive there last year.
If those are your expectations you are going to be really satisfied.

Reaction Score
If those are your expectations you are going to be really satisfied.

I didn't feel like I should get too crazy, but this has been a fun start. Last year, we were blown out of so many games in the first half. Auburn and Arkansas come immediately to mind. This team may be good enough offensively to avoid those painful scoring droughts that plagued last year's team. Last year, I stopped watching by the end of the season. This season, I will not miss a game.

C

Chief00

We have some issues in the frontcourt, Vital is playing himself out of the starting lineup and the freethrow shooting could be better. Who cares! This team is fun to watch. I'd love to win Thursday, but I'd be thrilled to be competitive. For my money, we weren't competitive there last year.

I agree it’s fun again.

Reaction Score
Tarrin Smith is my revelation so far this year. He's not a GREAT player - it's just that he literally does nothing poorly. Like not a single thing. Everything is good. Scores the ball, good off the dribble, finishes the shots he should make, solid defender. Just a really good, polished college basketball player. I think Gilbert will continue to get better and Adams is obviously our best player. Just having him there and being that dependable takes so much pressure off guys like Brendan Adams - and long term the dividends that'll pay.

Vital and Cobb are the two guys who... they're not very good. But they have great motors and do enough things well that you can lose with worse. I just think both will play themselves mostly out of the equation by the end of the year. Basketball IQ on both is rock-bottom. But again - if you're trying to create culture - they're guys you want around and to this team/program specifically - can provide some value. I think that's why Hurley has Vital starting. That's the motor he wants with his more talented players and there's a message that needs to be read in that.

Our rebounding stinks. Like there's just no way around it. I don't think it'll get much better. Good teams with good front courts are going to absolutely smash us if we're not shooting lights out. If there's one thing the competition has really masked so far - it's that. And even at that - a lot of people here and others can already see it. I just think Syracuse is going to be hard slap in the face Thursday night with their bigs. Our guard depth should keep us in a lot of games, but oy.

I still honestly have no idea what to think of Tyler Polley. I have a feeling i'm going to feel like that his whole career. There are days where I watch and think to myself 'this guy could be an absolute stud in a year or two' and other days I watch him and wonder how he tricked anyone into thinking he was athletic enough to play D1 basketball. I literally swing that dramatically watching him.

So far i'd say - Adams has been a bit disappointing (needs to take more shots), Gilbert has been about what I expected, T Smith has been waaaaay better than I thought, BAdams is about what I expected, Cobb/Polley about as expected, Yakwe a little worse, Carlton waaaay better. And we're not even playing Wilson yet, so.

Anyway, the energy is totally different. There's real effort. Real leadership. They actually run offensive plays which is... refreshing. They're flawed, but fun. I think they'll win 20 this year. I really feel like they will.

C

Chief00

Smith is Chief’s type of old school polished player. He helps you win in so many ways and doesn’t cause you to lose.
I hope you are wrong about Cobb. We need his big body - don’t kidd yourself. We need to give opposition Bigs some competition - we can’t let them bully us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He could be an usher.
Laz parking lot employee doing double duty?

Btw, he did seem to be overly knowledgeable about the floor conditions. Lets get a rundown on the sweat mop crew.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I tried to post pics from the other night and they kept telling me mine were too big... that’s what she said (I did it bc I knew it would come otherwise).

Take a screen capture of the picture and crop. It'll upload then.

Reaction Score
Smith is Chief’s type of old school polished player. He helps you win in so many ways and doesn’t cause you to lose.
I hope you are wrong about Cobb. We need his big body - don’t kidd yourself. We need to give opposition Bigs some competition - we can’t let them bully us.

Oh you and me both. I hope i'm wrong about every UConn basketball player I don't think is very good haha.

It's just not there. The girth helps a little. Effort is A+. It's just everything he does is clearly at max effort and what you get is what you get. I like him better than Yakwe, but yeah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom