Chief’s Briefs - UF | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UF

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Playing hard but winning ugly. Chief will take that over losing any day.

Gilbert started the game over correcting his error from last game. He started the game not driving at all rather than driving and kicking. He got more aggressive and that open things up along with Vital playing with fire.

Josh had a tough time in part because he did not get wide before receiving the ball and posting too far out. Finally, he correct that and did score well down low. Josh had a good second half.

Bright spots were rebounding and defense. Whaley and Akok were active and Tyler was more engaged about rebounding than he usually is.
AG still needs to work on his foul shooting. There should be a very high standard for a PG for foul shooting because he will have the ball so often and at key times. Ideally, he should be in the 82- 90% range.

On defense we still play with hands down and give good looks and only raise our arms too late when shots go up. Fortunately, FL not a great shooting team so it didn’t hurt us as much today.
Making 1/3 of your shots from the field and 2/3rds on FT’s is not usually a winning formula and it’s clear we need shooters.
Blackshear picking up his 4th foul with 7 minutes left was huge and then his 5th at 4 minutes was huge.

All in all a hard fought game and a good win. Hopefully, James is the guy who takes the big shots because today we did not have that guy.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When are we getting our treatise on Akok's weakside rebounding?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
James who? your asking a freshman to lead the team? A little early for that.

Reaction Score
Very good write up Chief. I thought Akok looked great once again today, but still raw. What’s up with Gaffney? Has he scored yet?

gaffney Is bizarre. It’s not that he’s just not hitting shots, it’s that he looks so panicked and overwhelmed. Good thing is it’s only up from here...

Reaction Score
Great game. Carlton can get position needs to go to strong every time and look for dunk. Akok looks like a player. Very fluid and he plays within the flow of the game. I see us getting him the ball more often aa the season progresses. AG still figuring things out. I have been negative on him.but if he finds his shot we could be good. But he needs to understand we have other options until he is a legitimate threat. CV, when he let's the game come to him.is really good. Whaley has become a good scrappy player.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When was the last fun, upset victory we had? Can't remember. Was it freshman Jalen Adams' big shot.

Reaction Score
gaffney Is bizarre. It’s not that he’s just not hitting shots, it’s that he looks so panicked and overwhelmed. Good thing is it’s only up from here...
My take on Gaffney is positive. For Hurley to give him the minutes he did is a positive in and of itself, also I thought he played with a quiet confidence, no panic'd turnovers, distributed the ball. I was hoping he would take an open shot and just keep shooting until it started going in. If he keeps getting these minutes in every game, his scoring talents will emerge. Hurley knows what he's doing and he's bringing Gaffney along exactly as he should.

Reaction Score
I have not had that much fun at Gampel in a long time. Not to be too nostalgic, but that really felt like the “old days”. It just feels like it has been forever since we played a real big game at Gampel. A win is a win, and the best part is our team is about to have a whole new look with Bouknight back.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Need new starting lineup. Something to shock system.

16-12 min best defense and flow all season.

Stop forcing Josh in to being a primary option. It's like they want to be the Bulls in early 90's giving Cartwright a couple of early looks.

Whaley is very springy. Quick twitch jumping. Weight hasn't been bad for him.

Polley sequence of rebound, sprint to 3 pt line, catch, dribble and dish cross court is what everyone hopes of him.

First extended amount of time of Gaffney, Vital and Gilbert. Has potential- until teams realize Gaffney can't score. At least not yet.

Liked the press after Vital FT coming out of TO.

Also, non-breaking news. Gilbert can't shoot.

3 shot clock violations in first half against Top-15 team.

Those Polley run outs and transition 3's are why his rebounding numbers are lower than some expect. Hurley wants him sprinting ahead of D before it gets set.
I'm still shocked any times a jumper by Sid or Adams goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom