Chief’s Briefs - Tulsa Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Tulsa Edition

C

Chief00

First, I had some distractions during the game so my analysis may not be of the usual quality you might expect.
- I thought the effort was there tonight but again we made a variety of poor choices at crunch time.
-First let’s revisit the debate after the prior game when several fans told Chief - forget about the 3’s we got 12 steals. Well, we gave up 15 3’s tonight and that cost us the game. If a team gives up 12 or 15 threes in the game almost always you lose. The research and data exist. Often the 3’s were back breakers as we attempted to take the lead or at the end prevented us from winning. We are giving guys comfortable looks from the 3 line.
- Adams had a very good game with points, rebounds and assists. He still needs to learn how to lead his team at crunch time within the team concept.
- Our inability to inbound the ball with any designed offensive type play cost us dearly again. Another trend that doesn’t get reversed.
- This was the best ball movement in awhile.
- Besides giving up 3’s, getting killed on the boards against a shorter team was the key to our defeat.
- Whaley is our best looking Big as thin as he is - at least he plays with energy and is fairly smart.
- I thought Williams fought for position fairly well. It’s funny, two months into the season and I think I have only seen one explosive play from him despite the utube clips various casual fans focused on prior to the season.
- Larrier is a good scorer on a bad team type guy. I am waiting for him to take his game to another level. When I said preseason it would probably take a season to play with confidence after the knee injury - I think that is pretty much playing out on schedule.
- Anderson, Cobb and Big Dave are proving not to be of much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
First, I had some distractions during the game so my analysis may not be of the usual quality you might expect.
- I thought the effort was there tonight but again we made a variety of poor choices at crunch time.
-First let’s revisit the debate after the prior game when several fans told Chief - forget about the 3’s we got 12 steals. Well, we gave up 15 3’s tonight and that cost us the game. If a team gives up 12 or 15 threes in the game almost always you lose. The research and data exist. Often the 3’s were back breakers as we attempted to take the lead or at the end prevented us from winning. We are giving guys comfortable looks from the 3 line.
- Adams had a very good game with points, rebounds and assists. He still needs to learn how to lead his team at crunch time within the team concept.
- Our inability to inbound the ball with any designed offensive type play cost us dearly again. Another trend that doesn’t get reversed.
- Besides giving up 3’s, getting killed on the boards against a shorter team was the key to our defeat.
- Whaley is our best looking Big as thin as he is - at least he plays with energy and is fairly smart.
- I thought Williams fought for position fairly well. It’s funny, two months into the season and I think I have only seen one explosive play from him despite the utube clips various casual fans focused on prior to the season.
- Larrier is a good scorer on a bad team type guy. I am waiting for him to take his game to another level. When I said preseason it would probably take a season to play with confidence after the knee injury - I think that is pretty much playing out on schedule.
Solid Analysis...personnel just isn't there yet but tightening up the areas you highlighted will go a long way to supporting more positive outcomes than not.

Reaction Score

Agree, the effort was better, ball movement was much better. We did give up too much space on their 3's, don't know if this was a result of concentrating on stopping Etou, but man it always kills us. We are basically a team with two consistent scorers, TL and JA, when a third guy emerges (like Vital last night), we can compete, if not we struggle. Also agree on Carlton and Whaley, just need to keep playing them and live with the mistakes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agree, the effort was better, ball movement was much better. We did give up too much space on their 3's, don't know if this was a result of concentrating on stopping Etou, but man it always kills us. We are basically a team with two consistent scorers, TL and JA, when a third guy emerges (like Vital last night), we can compete, if not we struggle. Also agree on Carlton and Whaley, just need to keep playing them and live with the mistakes.
Carlton's 2 bonehead offensive fouls hurt this team more than any play
He was making a presence in the interior but he is not a smart player by any means - he has the tools - needs his head in the right place

Reaction Score
If your assessment of Larrier is true that he will take most of this year to regain strength & confidence then he should return next year to show what he is capable of to NBA scouts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can want him to return, it can make all the sense in the world for him to return but these kids want to make money and play professionally. Staying at uconn in its current state as surprising as this may sound may not be appealing. When Rome is burning some might actually look at it as the time to bail.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Just a minor correction with that line. Should read 'open threes'. No idea about the data you mention. But if you are giving up 12-15 bad looks from three, you are playing great D, as that's probably the only shot the other team is getting.

Big problem with giving up open threes early, is that when you do contest them later in the game, guys are already in rhythm, and able to hit them with a guy in their grill.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If your assessment of Larrier is true that he will take most of this year to regain strength & confidence then he should return next year to show what he is capable of to NBA scouts.

He'd be better served playing in the G league. Much better chance to improve.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We can want him to return, it can make all the sense in the world for him to return but these kids want to make money and play professionally. Staying at uconn in its current state as surprising as this may sound may not be appealing. When Rome is burning some might actually look at it as the time to bail.
Do you think maybe the players don't feel like Rome is burning?

Reaction Score
Carlton's 2 bonehead offensive fouls hurt this team more than any play
He was making a presence in the interior but he is not a smart player by any means - he has the tools - needs his head in the right place
Youth and inexperience. That is all that is. It will get better. They do not have upper class men to learn from right now. Adams doesn't count here.

C

Chief00

Just a minor correction with that line. Should read 'open threes'. No idea about the data you mention. But if you are giving up 12-15 bad looks from three, you are playing great D, as that's probably the only shot the other team is getting.

Big problem with giving up open threes early, is that when you do contest them later in the game, guys are already in rhythm, and able to hit them with a guy in their grill.
Stating the obvious - when I said we gave up 15 threes - they are made threes NOT attempts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom