Chief’s Briefs - The Formula | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - The Formula

Reaction Score
Good game and we fought hard but Villanova played slightly better. We shot 37% and that’s not good enough and gives you a small margin for error.

Chief’s Polley barometer played out. He had 5 points, much closer to his 3 point average in UConn loses than the 9 points he averages in UConn wins. When you lose by 3 points, small things make a difference including having a three waved off, I believe for stepping out of bounds?

Our defense was tough, however Gillespie summed it up best, when he spoke about how he took advantage of UConn’s double teams and found the open man for 10 assists. Many of which led to open shots as defenders were in between in no man’s land, after playing on the high hedge defense.

How effective was this defense scheme in disrupting the Villanova offense? It led to just 6 turnovers in 40 minutes, 43% FG shooting and and 87% FT (not a sign of tired legs).

Moreover, the energy expended on the high hedge fantic pace, likely resulted in UConn missing easy close-up shots late in the game as our legs went dead. Sanogo was an example of that.

Bottomline, you can’t predictably double good teams on the 3 point line. Your defenders are too disperse to recover to who was the open guy. The shot is off before you get there.

Again, our starters averaged 35 minutes and Polley took up nearly all the remaining minutes. Depth on this team against good competition is way overstated.

I thought Martin played well and Sanogo rebounded. Whaley gave us very little beyond effort. Few corresponding results. Gaffney played 3 minutes and did not populate the boxscore, despite Cole playing and looking tired.

We have come to learn what our formula is for close loses. Yet, we have been either unwilling or unable to make adjustments to change that formula other than reducing our turnovers.

My sense was that Hawkins was about ready to explode before his concussion. Chief hopes the protocol is going well and that he will be ready to give the team a good shot in the shooting arm. It’s a lot to ask on a freshman coming off an injury but it’s much needed.

Reaction Score
Some people said Polley was sick? Either way, he was out there, played 21 minutes 2-4 (3-5 if you count the waived off 3). If he wasn’t throwing up in the last 5 minutes he should’ve been on the floor, not with 15 seconds left and game virtually over

Reaction Score
Hurley's defensive game plan worked exactly how it was drawn up. The double teams took out Moore and Gillespie as scoring threats and we made Samuels and Slater beat us.

This year Slater is a 34% 3 point shooter averaging 1 make per game and went he 3/6. Samuels is shooting 26% this year averaging .7 a game and he went 3/8.

Reaction Score
Hurley's defensive game plan worked exactly how it was drawn up. The double teams took out Moore and Gillespie as scoring threats and we made Samuels and Slater beat us.

This year Slater is a 34% 3 point shooter averaging 1 make per game and went he 3/6. Samuels is shooting 26% this year averaging .7 a game and he went 3/8.

Hurley publicly stated the game plan you mention prior to the game. Has Bill Belichick or Jim Calhoun ever done that? You call it a “Success”, I say look at the scoreboard and who is playing tonight.
What many well intended Casual Fans don’t recognize is a big guy like Adama Sanogo hedging 25 feet from the basket and then running back to the paint each defensive possession takes an exhausting toll. Notice who missed layup bunnies and foul shots toward the end of the game. He did not elevate and dunk the ball either. Chief would rather he expend his energy in the paint.

Reaction Score
Good game and we fought hard but Villanova played slightly better. We shot 37% and that’s not good enough and gives you a small margin for error.

Chief’s Polley barometer played out. He had 5 points, much closer to his 3 point average in UConn loses than the 9 points he averages in UConn wins. When you lose by 3 points, small things make a difference including having a three waved off, I believe for stepping out of bounds?

Our defense was tough, however Gillespie summed it up best, when he spoke about how he took advantage of UConn’s double teams and found the open man for 10 assists. Many of which led to open shots as defenders were in between in no man’s land, after playing on the high hedge defense.

How effective was this defense scheme in disrupting the Villanova offense? It led to just 6 turnovers in 40 minutes, 43% FG shooting and and 87% FT (not a sign of tired legs).

Moreover, the energy expended on the high hedge fantic pace, likely resulted in UConn missing easy close-up shots late in the game as our legs went dead. Sanogo was an example of that.

Bottomline, you can’t predictably double good teams on the 3 point line. Your defenders are too disperse to recover to who was the open guy. The shot is off before you get there.

Again, our starters averaged 35 minutes and Polley took up nearly all the remaining minutes. Depth on this team against good competition is way overstated.

I thought Martin played well and Sanogo rebounded. Whaley gave us very little beyond effort. Few corresponding results. Gaffney played 3 minutes and did not populate the boxscore, despite Cole playing and looking tired.

We have come to learn what our formula is for close loses. Yet, we have been either unwilling or unable to make adjustments to change that formula other than reducing our turnovers.

My sense was that Hawkins was about ready to explode before his concussion. Chief hopes the protocol is going well and that he will be ready to give the team a good shot in the shooting arm. It’s a lot to ask on a freshman coming off an injury but it’s much needed.
"Unwilling or unable to make adjustments" diplomatically sums it up perfectly. Just a casual observance, but the high hedge has been part of our defensive "identity" all year. Probably not effective the majority of games against a team like Villanova that has 5 guys that can spread the floor and all shoot.

The first half play by both sides was fun to watch, but it felt like we would not be able to keep up scoring-wise and we didn't in the second half. Martin carried the team for part of the second half, but we needed Cole or Sanogo to help him more offensively in the last 8 to 10 minutes. As you point out, they looked tired.

I comprehend that it's a real fast moving game with the other side defending you into uncomfortable positions, but I have trouble understanding why players are positioned to step out of bounds like Polley did in the first half. I view that as a need for more focus which coaching should minimize. Turnovers like that and Gillespie's opportunistic passing show that Villanova was more focused in this game.

Reaction Score
If we had won and then played the same defensively against Creighton Kalkbrenner may well have set a record for dunks in a game. Late in the game Whaley had doubled Gillespie with Cole and left a wide gap between the 2 players that Gillespie passed through for an assist. The players have to be hip to hip to close that out and trap Gillespie better. Our bigs got tired no doubt.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Notice who missed layup bunnies and foul shots toward the end of the game. He did not elevate and dunk the ball either. Chief would rather he expend his energy in the paint.
I cannot recall an instance in which Sanogo flushed the ball when he gets an offensive board or receives a pass under the basket. On a break, or when he has two or three clear steps to the basket, yes, he goes up and hammers it. But when he gets the ball in the paint -- especially in a crowd -- or even makes a great move to get around a lone defender in the set offense, he either reverts to the hook, opts for a layup, or shoots what amounts to a 2 foot jumper. I'd love to see him stuff the ball from a standing position, but it doesn't seem to be in his DNA.
On a semi related note, when he's being crowded in the lane, the attendant bumps and pokes often result in him not having a secure grip on the ball as he goes up, which causes him not to put as much power into the jump as he could.

Reaction Score
"Unwilling or unable to make adjustments" diplomatically sums it up perfectly. Just a casual observance, but the high hedge has been part of our defensive "identity" all year. Probably not effective the majority of games against a team like Villanova that has 5 guys that can spread the floor and all shoot.

The first half play by both sides was fun to watch, but it felt like we would not be able to keep up scoring-wise and we didn't in the second half. Martin carried the team for part of the second half, but we needed Cole or Sanogo to help him more offensively in the last 8 to 10 minutes. As you point out, they looked tired.

I comprehend that it's a real fast moving game with the other side defending you into uncomfortable positions, but I have trouble understanding why players are positioned to step out of bounds like Polley did in the first half. I view that as a need for more focus which coaching should minimize. Turnovers like that and Gillespie's opportunistic passing show that Villanova was more focused in this game.
Good post, and the other thing I might add, it looked like Cole and Sanogo were very hesitate or tentative in foul type situations. Since Danny only seems to have confidence in his starters against good teams, maybe that was prudent but it also led to a couple of hoops. Both were noticeably drained of energy late in the game when we needed them most.

Reaction Score
LOL - I remember George Blaney saying he honestly couldn’t remember one time in his playing career he positioned himself out of bounds by accident. Granted, Rodney Purvis and Jerome Dyson are probably in the out of bounds HOF. Tyler has no history of that but it was at a big moment.

Reaction Score
I love this team, but maybe their ceiling is not as high as we'd like to believe. Too many weaknesses top to bottom, and no go-to scorer. Maybe this team is overachieving?

I couldn't help but think when we beat Nova at the XL that we played as good as we could possibly play. Our talent level is just a notch below what it needs to be, and what I expect it to be in future years. Wasn't long ago that we struggled in the AAC, so the coaches and players have really done a great job. If we still had Bouknight with another year's experience, we'd be challenging for the NC. Without a player of his caliber, our weaknesses are sometimes too viisible, and too difficult to overcome.

Reaction Score
I love this team, but maybe their ceiling is not as high as we'd like to believe. Too many weaknesses top to bottom, and no go-to scorer. Maybe this team is overachieving?

I couldn't help but think when we beat Nova at the XL that we played as good as we could possibly play. Our talent level is just a notch below what it needs to be, and what I expect it to be in future years. Wasn't long ago that we struggled in the AAC, so the coaches and players have really done a great job. If we still had Bouknight with another year's experience, we'd be challenging for the NC. Without a player of his caliber, our weaknesses are sometimes too viisible, and too difficult to overcome.
Totally agree, love the team, their level of effort, heart and hustle they show each and every game. But maybe they are overachieving.

Reaction Score

Some truth there.

Reaction Score

this is a really good post. I love the heart, hustle, and energy this team plays with. However, they are a flawed roster and it amazes me how people expect this team to go far. I hope they do go far, but I don't expect. Making it to the round of 32 is what I expect and maybe the Sweet 16 if they get a favorable bracket. This team isn't nearly on the level of the mid 90s teams that dominated the Big East but fell short of the Final Four or the 2002, 2003, or 2006 team.

Reaction Score
I thought the D scheme did it’s job. It shut down Gillespie. It’s just that Wright new Danny would be adjusting to the last game and trying to protect the key, and Wright attacked the 3-line. Wright knew Danny would not adjust quickly and then adjust at halftime to get out on the three, so he took us inside off the drive with a kick out to the corner or a finish. Hurley seems to be a step behind good coaches. The fact we played it close is credit to the players’ effort.

Reaction Score
Hurley publicly stated the game plan you mention prior to the game. Has Bill Belichick or Jim Calhoun ever done that? You call it a “Success”, I say look at the scoreboard and who is playing tonight.
What many well intended Casual Fans don’t recognize is a big guy like Adama Sanogo hedging 25 feet from the basket and then running back to the paint each defensive possession takes an exhausting toll. Notice who missed layup bunnies and foul shots toward the end of the game. He did not elevate and dunk the ball either. Chief would rather he expend his energy in the paint.
Both Cole and Sanogo were clearly beat. Playing Hurley-level defense on back-to-back nights must be brutal, especially when you're having to play lock-down defense, anchor the offense, and have no legitimate back-up (Cole) or you're having to continuously haul 240 pounds back and forth between the paint and the arc on those hedges (Sanogo). There's a reason why their shots were off for most of the night.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
First, it was an entertaining game and in my opinion one that UConn let slip away.
I agree Sanogo looked spent but if he had only missed his bunnies late in the game I would agree that his fatigue was the factor. However, he missed bunnies throughout and hurt UConn early when he decided to take on the entire Nova team by himself while 3 or more Huskies were wide open. I fail to understand and it frustrates me to no end that this young man has not been coached to or just refuses to pass out the ball in those situations. I understand that he has limited basketball playing experience but three basics things should be easy to comprehend. One- when you feel pressure from more than one player look for the open teammate Two- if you aren’t going to dunk the ball make sure you see the rim on every shot and use the backboard Three- do not bring the ball down and do not take unneeded dribbles. DH needs to sit down with him and go over film of that game and discuss each time that Sanogo could have done things differently. Sanogo is not the sole reason UConn took a loss but it was a major contributor.
The other NBE 1st team player, Cole, has been in a scoring funk since DePaul. I understand that covering Gillespie the full game is a handful but Cole didn’t have to and that’s on the coaches. I expect Cole to bounce back during the Dance
Martin and Whaley were both wonderful during both games. I do not understand why Martin didn’t receive some all league mention.
Playing with 6 players is a recipe for disaster. Why was DH always saying depth as a strength yet never coached to that depth. With the exception of the limited player usage, I think DH was very good last night. He was not paying attention to the refs and I felt the players reacted calmly and didn’t show desperation.
If Polley is going to be the teams designated sharpshooter the coaches have to find a way to get the ball in his hand more. I like that Polley has shown an increase in his involvement in defense and driving to the hoop.
I hope Hawk returns but you can’t rush someone that has experienced 2 possible concussions. I feel he was starting to have the confidence needed to show UConn nation how special he can and will be.
If Gaff can replicate the confident Gaff we saw in the final 2 games of last season, it would go a long way in getting UConn to advance past the 1st weekend.
I don’t like a 5 seed in the tournament but that appears to be the consensus. It’s all about match-ups and desire. I really feel UConn could be a sweet 16 team.
Let’s Dance

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sanogo hedging is by far the least favorite thing this team does. And it's not remotely close. The most recent Creighton game was quite evident that it does not work and is not even close to working.

Reaction Score
First, it was an entertaining game and in my opinion one that UConn let slip away.
I agree Sanogo looked spent but if he had only missed his bunnies late in the game I would agree that his fatigue was the factor. However, he missed bunnies throughout and hurt UConn early when he decided to take on the entire Nova team by himself while 3 or more Huskies were wide open. I fail to understand and it frustrates me to no end that this young man has not been coached to or just refuses to pass out the ball in those situations. I understand that he has limited basketball playing experience but three basics things should be easy to comprehend. One- when you feel pressure from more than one player look for the open teammate Two- if you aren’t going to dunk the ball make sure you see the rim on every shot and use the backboard Three- do not bring the ball down and do not take unneeded dribbles. DH needs to sit down with him and go over film of that game and discuss each time that Sanogo could have done things differently. Sanogo is not the sole reason UConn took a loss but it was a major contributor.
The other NBE 1st team player, Cole, has been in a scoring funk since DePaul. I understand that covering Gillespie the full game is a handful but Cole didn’t have to and that’s on the coaches. I expect Cole to bounce back during the Dance
Martin and Whaley were both wonderful during both games. I do not understand why Martin didn’t receive some all league mention.
Playing with 6 players is a recipe for disaster. Why was DH always saying depth as a strength yet never coached to that depth. With the exception of the limited player usage, I think DH was very good last night. He was not paying attention to the refs and I felt the players reacted calmly and didn’t show desperation.
If Polley is going to be the teams designated sharpshooter the coaches have to find a way to get the ball in his hand more. I like that Polley has shown an increase in his involvement in defense and driving to the hoop.
I hope Hawk returns but you can’t rush someone that has experienced 2 possible concussions. I feel he was starting to have the confidence needed to show UConn nation how special he can and will be.
If Gaff can replicate the confident Gaff we saw in the final 2 games of last season, it would go a long way in getting UConn to advance past the 1st weekend.
I don’t like a 5 seed in the tournament but that appears to be the consensus. It’s all about match-ups and desire. I really feel UConn could be a sweet 16 team.
Let’s Dance
I agree with most of the points but Whaley did not have one of his better games. I would be more critical of Sanogo if we had guys who were good at 3’s. Are they doubling or tripling due to Sanogo’s deficiencies or due to the non shooters we have? Some of both, but he’s the one they are doubling not them - so that tells us something. He’s not like a point guard who starts the possession with the ball in his hands.
Calhoun said shooting and a second penetrator were our two main issues and I kind of agree with him - now I wish he would be a little cranky on TV rather than such a nice guy - LOL. Of course, both are him.

Reaction Score
Chief wants to congratulation Villanova and Jay Wright for winning the Big East Championship.
Now as @gtcam says - “Let’s Dance”
Go Huskies !
Chief

Reaction Score
Chief wants to congratulation Villanova and Jay Wright for winning the Big East Championship.
Now as @gtcam says - “Let’s Dance”
Go Huskies !
Chief
They’ve now won four straight titles when they’ve been at full strength (with the last minute Gillespie injury last year). Absolutely unreal. Meanwhile, poor Creighton is becoming the Jordan-era Knicks.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Let’s Dance
Good stuff. I think Cole and Gillespie essentially played the same, not scoring but distributing and defending. Cole got a few less dimes because our shooters were fewer and not as good as Nova's

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Sanigo actually returned to form later in the game after his bad stretch. The “formula” is pretty much a product of the gap between offensive and defensive skills among the personnel choices. Hawkins missing hurts. So does Akok whatever his issues are. Last night Nova players missed a bunch of shots they made against us but Gillespie bailed them out again. Gillespie is a smart player who might not be the most notable athlete, but he’s a highly skilled player. Jackson remains our biggest issue. Has to be on the floor for the very good things he does, but a bad shooter playing a shooter’s position. It narrows the options.

Reaction Score
Both Cole and Sanogo were clearly beat. Playing Hurley-level defense on back-to-back nights must be brutal, especially when you're having to play lock-down defense, anchor the offense, and have no legitimate back-up (Cole) or you're having to continuously haul 240 pounds back and forth between the paint and the arc on those hedges (Sanogo). There's a reason why their shots were off for most of the night.
You nailed it. Dumb and unsustainable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom