Chief’s Briefs - SMU | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SMU

C

Chief00

The tale of this season is the coaching staff keeps going back to stuff that doesn’t work. For example, putting Larrier on the foul line on offense - where he is a turnover machine and inefficient on his shot. Another example is Dave O’s playing time - there is no sane explanation - so I will drop it there.

One thing, I noticed today is the we don’t feel any obligation to guard a guy on the 3 line until he has the ball. I believe that is dated thinking. We typically give the guy a really good look and close way too late from too far away.

Rebounding - Chief is old school on rebounding. I have heard a new theory that you shouldn’t even attempt to offensive rebound - focus on spreading the court and getting back on D. While I agree floor balance is important - three guys can slow a break. You should act least send two guys to rebound. I also believe boxing out is not outdated on the defensive boards even though the one guy who does that for us - seldom sees the court.

There is no case to be made for the status quo.

One thing KO has done the last couple of years is do things his way including the non involvement of Jim Calhoun.

Thank God this nightmare is over and change is coming - what we need to do now is focus on as smooth a transition as possible while retaining recruits and players you want to keep.

One thing about basketball is that a couple of additions and subtractions can make a huge difference. Chemistry and leadership can change things too.

DB will have to work that carefully. He has a lot of work ahead of him and things need to be timed perfectly as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
When he ball is passed inside,we collapse on the inside, the ball is kicked back out, "ut...oh".I seen it live up close in Atlantis and at UCF this year.
Actually it has haunted this team for a couple of years at least.

C

Chief00

When he ball is passed inside,we collapse on the inside, the ball is kicked back out, "ut...oh".I seen it live up close in Atlantis and at UCF this year.
Actually it has haunted this team for a couple of years at least.

Agreed, it’s failed thinking that we have a pretty big sample of but we keep doing it.

Reaction Score
Thank God Ollie is gone. Get an old school coach to bring this back to respect. We should have listened to the players. Ovbiously they have no respect for Ollie because they have NEVER played for him.

Reaction Score
One thing, I noticed today is the we don’t feel any obligation to guard a guy on the 3 line until he has the ball. I believe that is dated thinking. We typically give the guy a really good look and close way too late from too far away.
Making matters worse is when they decide to approach the 3 point shooter, w/ the ball, the defender has their hand's (plural) down at their knee's. Nothing like an invitation to an open look.

Reaction Score
We can go on about the interchangeable lineups but this game was lost solely on Adams ... our best player has to be our best player in win or go home tournament games and he couldn’t pull a bazz or kemba like performance ... he had what 6 points when he avg 18.5 and went 25 in the last four... and our second best player to most not to me went 5/17 yikes.!! Vital picked up larrier but Adams has to get his by any means necessary and he didn’t so of course we go home with a L ... others played well and got theirs AA went 6/9 for 19 points and help from Diarra 8 and 8 ...

Y’all can blame Ollie for a lot of things but this game wasn’t his fault imo the offense was good and we got great shots at the basket , just didn’t go down ... but did y’all see those horrendous life sucked out of us turnovers by Adams, man I turned to my friend like wtf , twice he just threw it to the opposition killed us and our perimeter defense ... welp next year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The tale of this season is the coaching staff keeps going back to stuff that doesn’t work. For example, putting Larrier on the foul line on offense - where he is a turnover machine and inefficient on his shot. Another example is Dave O’s playing time - there is no sane explanation - so I will drop it there.

Rebounding - Chief is old school on rebounding. I have heard a new theory that you shouldn’t even attempt to offensive rebound - focus on spreading the court and getting back on D. While I agree floor balance is important - three guys can slow a break. You should act least send two guys to rebound. I also believe boxing out is not outdated on the defensive boards even though the one guy who does that for us - seldom sees the court.

There is no case to be made for the status quo.

One thing KO has done the last couple of years is do things his way including the non involvement of Jim Calhoun.

Thank God this nightmare is over and change is coming - what we need to do now is focus on as smooth a transition as possible while retaining recruits and players you want to keep.

One thing about basketball is that a couple of additions and subtractions can make a huge difference. Chemistry and leadership can change things too.

DB will have to work that carefully. He has a lot of work ahead of him and things need to be timed perfectly as possible.

You nailed it on guarding the 3 point shot. Notice that our opponents do not use this approach. To me, it highlights that Ollie has dated thinking about the three point shot on both sides of the ball. Modern teams are trying to generate open 3 point shots. That's the focus of their offense. For us, it is a bail-out afterthought. Modern defenses are looking to take away the 3 point shot, giving up 2 point attempts instead. We over help and hedge to clog up the area 10-12 feet from the rim, while ignoring guys camped out beyond the arc. It's awful, out of date strategy on both ends.

Several times yesterday, the SMU player dribbled back outside the line to shoot. Have we seen any UConn players do this? No. We do the opposite, we dribble in and take shots just inside the line, or we hoist up shots (Vital) 5 feet beyond the line.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
More disciplined defense is played in the 6th grade girls travel basketball games I ref.

pack the zone inside the 3 point line (almost have everyone have 1 foot in the paint) and make them shoot over you?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You nailed it on guarding the 3 point shot. Notice that our opponents do not use this approach. To me, it highlights that Ollie has dated thinking about the three point shot on both sides of the ball. Modern teams are trying to generate open 3 point shots. That's the focus of their offense. For us, it is a bail-out afterthought. Modern defenses are looking to take away the 3 point shot, giving up 2 point attempts instead. We over help and hedge to clog up the area 10-12 feet from the rim, while ignoring guys camped out beyond the arc. It's awful, out of date strategy on both ends.

Several times yesterday, the SMU player dribbled back outside the line to shoot. Have we seen any UConn players do this? No. We do the opposite, we dribble in and take shots just inside the line, or we hoist up shots (Vital) 5 feet beyond the line.
I think it is the way we practice. We practice defending 3 point shots against a team that can't hit 3 point shots and this is what you get!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom