Chief’s Briefs - SCSU | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - SCSU

C

Chief00

A new era has started. A fun and late night for Chief.
The pressure defense does create turnovers and with our guard depth by the second half, it takes the legs out of the 3 point shooters, who made their shots the first half but not the second half.
One thing though we are missing for this approach, is the shot blocker to clean things up when someone gets beat.
The guy who gets minutes due to Hurley’s style is Polley. He has length to help out defending in the lane but can also defend away from the basket. Polley also looks a little stronger this season.
Two concerns are rebounding ( and that’s why Chief thinks Kwintin may play more than even Danny knows at this point) and outside shooting. Chief is still waiting for someone to step forward and be the 3 point assassin.
Overall, I liked the intensity and ball movement - both improved over last season. Cobb played better than Carlton. When Carlton finally pushed back late in the game resulting in a double foul - Hurley applauded.
Hurley has a love/hate basketball relationship with Kwintin. It drives Coach crazy Kwintin forgets his assignments but he loves the aggression, physicality and effort. The dunk he had was very impressive because it was contested but so overwhelmingly powerful it became an exclaimnation point.
Gilbert is a good and talented kid who does the right things. I do worry about his size sometimes against a team with dominant Bigs.
B. Adams and Smith will contribute. Jalen is a star if he matures just enough that he isn’t a bad example. Vital will likely have a good year, there’s a replacement this year if he falls into bad shot selection. Also, saw less celebration off a made shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

351B611C-29E1-47C8-B8A9-837EA6D7E132.jpeg

pj

Reaction Score
Well done. But not very brief. Maybe this year it should be Chief's Discursions.

C

Chief00

Well done. But not very brief. Maybe this year it should be Chief's Discursions.
LOL - Lots to cover with a new regime in place - actually just scratched the surface. There were so many basketball deep dives I could have taken but avoided for now.

Reaction Score
A new era has started. A fun and late night for Chief.
The pressure defense does create turnovers and with our guard depth by the second half, it takes the legs out of the 3 point shooters, who made their shots the first half but not the second half.
One thing though we are missing for this approach, is the shot blocker to clean things up when someone gets beat.
The guy who gets minutes due to Hurley’s style is Polley. He has length to help out defending in the lane but can also defend away from the basket. Polley also looks a little stronger this season.
Two concerns are rebounding ( and that’s why Chief thinks Kwintin may play more than even Danny knows at this point) and outside shooting. Chief is still waiting for someone to step forward and be the 3 point assassin.
Overall, I liked the intensity and ball movement - both improved over last season. Cobb played better than Carlton. When Carlton finally pushed back late in the game resulting in a double foul - Hurley applauded.
Hurley has a love/hate basketball relationship with Kwintin. It drives Coach crazy Kwintin forgets his assignments but he loves the aggression, physicality and effort. The dunk he had was very impressive because it was contested but so overwhelmingly powerful it became an exclaimnation point.
Gilbert is a good and talented kid who does the right things. I do worry about his size sometimes against a team with dominant Bigs.
B. Adams and Smith will contribute. Jalen is a star if he matures just enough that he isn’t a bad example. Vital will likely have a good year, there’s a replacement this year if he falls into bad shot selection. Also, saw less celebration off a made shot.
Alright but I thing you need to highlight B. Adams after that game more. The boy can shoot and play some d and a decent handle too. He is going to play a lot. Not as worried about our shooting with him Jalen(looked nice behind the arch) and Polley on the team and the ball movement. Definitely worried about inside play and rebounding as it was very good. Diarra could help with this as well as the shot blocking if he comes back healthy. Wilson if he can play will just give more depth and a wildcard to this team which will be nice.

C

Chief00

Alright but I thing you need to highlight B. Adams after that game more. The boy can shoot and play some d and a decent handle too. He is going to play a lot. Not as worried about our shooting with him Jalen(looked nice behind the arch) and Polley on the team and the ball movement. Definitely worried about inside play and rebounding as it was very good. Diarra could help with this as well as the shot blocking if he comes back healthy. Wilson if he can play will just give more depth and a wildcard to this team which will be nice.

Chief wants more of a sampling of B Adams and Smith, when the lights go on. I like some things I have seen in practice and last night. They are both much better than KO’s Fordham guy last year.
Quite frankly, Chief is trying to see where our start of season baseline is. It’s one thing to be improved over last season, it’s another to be improved enough to be competitive in some of our early OOC games. I am very confident about the improvement, less so about being competitive against the slate of tough games.

Again, back to Chief’s comments that always gets criticized, strategically our primary focus is recruiting for 2019/2020. True, we will try very hard to win every game - but that’s the priority. And yes at times I even have to remind myself of that so I sympathize with the casual fans who want to be a F4 team this season.

Reaction Score
Anybody know why we were not allowed to see foul shots? Everytime a guy was at the line the tv screen was covered with the huskie logo.

Reaction Score
Anybody know why we were not allowed to see foul shots? Everytime a guy was at the line the tv screen was covered with the huskie logo.

Just standard jumbotron protocol. Foul shot action is easy enough to see.

Reaction Score
1A - We looked scrappy, tough, rugged and didn't fold like a cheap suit when SCSU hit some stupid shots in the first 5-7 minutes. Put aside the box score, the final score, or anything else, this was the signature I was thrilled to see and that we'd lacked for the last 3 years. There are still some players that do not play like this, but particularly the guards really got into people and made them uncomfortable, and played tough without too much unnecessary fouling.

1B - The guards can ball with anyone. Alterique is a high caliber player, period. We didn't see as much shooting, but he can get anywhere and is a pest on D. Once he slows down a bit, Alterique is going to be an all-conference level player, probably this year. Tarin Smith plays fast, has good handle, can do everything on both sides of the floor, and he's rugged as hell @ 6'2. That guy will be a nightmare paired with Alterique in terms of ball pressure. What an addition. Brendan Adams is the Anti-Jalen Adams. Efficient, solid, unspectacular. Makes the plays that are right in front of him, doesn't get beat on D, Hits shots, etc. He's going to be a 4 year STUD. Jalen, sigh. He plays too loose with the ball, he is an innefficient player, but the dude can ball and score when he needs to. Christian Vital is a warrior and definitely a leader, but he has never really calibrated his game to maximize the things he can do really well(spot up shooting, defense, toughness) and away from the things he is really transparently not good at (penetrating/finishing, and playmaking), which can make him frustrating sometimes.

2. Our frontcourt is a freaking mess. There are pieces of competency but enormous swiss cheese holes in all of the players. Polley can shoot but literally has no other meaningful skillset. Doesn't board, can't dribble, is a minus player on defense. Carlton has great offensive feel and touch, but is slowfooted and slow to react on defense, makes boneheaded and casual plays alot, doesn't box out, etc. Eric Cobb has gotten visibly quicker, and can do some stuff, but seems to be lacking discipline and positional IQ. We could really use him if he can just be a bit more solid and reliable tho. Whaley is definitely our best defensive player, offensive rebounder and screensetter, so I see him playing big minutes. But that move on the low block was... woo boy, not pretty. Sid is suspended, and Kwintin bless his heart he plays hard and seems tough but really looks lost sometimes.

3. Hey, we played up tempo, like really, we did. That was fun! We ran an offense!! That was fun! Our coach did something other than look like he just smelled a fart from the scorers table! That was fun! Our coach worked the refs!!! that was fun!! It was fun!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for your input. I wonder if some ppl even read books anymore, it was very brief.

Reaction Score
Great read! I have not been a Vital fan. He just makes me nervous. I hope that I can become a fan this year. Its early but, I love our guards and can see us having a top 10 backcourt if we play this way consistently

Reaction Score
The video feed was using the scoreboard video, and since they dont want to distract the shooter by having their motion on the scoreboard above the baskets, they use the static husky logo. So we all ended up seeing the husky instead of the FT’s

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm reading a lot of same as last year ITT. Hopefully, the intangibles are improved enough to succeed. A UConn team that can't rebound, defend inside, and hit threes isn't a UConn team.

Reaction Score
OK Chief Briefs have begun. If we can just find Scrappy and get his forecast and prediction, we will be all set to move on to the official stuff.

Reaction Score
I'm reading a lot of same as last year ITT. Hopefully, the intangibles are improved enough to succeed. A UConn team that can't rebound, defend inside, and hit threes isn't a UConn team.

sHEESH

Please. This little exercise cost us a lot of bucks. Give us another couple thousand floor minutes

C

Chief00

They closed out on shooters and actually ran an offense!!!
But they do have to play faster to cover up the lack of front court ability.

One thing I am pretty confident in - it won’t rain threes this season. The full court pressure takes a lot of good relaxed open looks away. It also takes the shooters legs away in the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom