Chief’s Briefs - Oregon Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Oregon Edition

C

Chief00

It’s always great to win on the road and quiet the home town fans. Love the journey.
- The second half was the first time this season we shut down threes.
- Yesterday, I mentioned practive was very intense and I thought it showed in how we opened the game. Carlton in particular showed some growth which was important with Cobb’s injury.
- That was a very savvy play by Vital when he was on the floor to throw it off the Oregon guy who was laying out of bounds. Vital made some big plays down the stretch.
- Gilbert is getting the rust off and inprovimg but he is a real liability at the line - I had a disagreement with Dr Hoop before the trip about Gilbert’s ability to improve his foul shooting by taking thousands of shots with some mechanics being corrected - I haven’t seen him do that - so I can only assume the shoulder or the brace or injury psychology is a factor. Chief is a guy on the grounds guy - Not an academic theory dude - go by what I see or don’t see happening. I think he is a hard worker / competitor - so I don’t think it’s character. He missed a couple key foul shots in both halves.
- Coach Chill cooked up a brilliant game plan, normally I don’t like all this 1 on 1 stuff, but there was a determination made that we could beat them off the dribble. It worked. Against team’s with quicker guards it won’t work. But, Coach Chill had the right plan for the tonight’s game.
- I thought our defensive rebounding was ok, but we never seem by design to want to offensive rebound. I know this is something that JC and KO disagree on in terms of philosophy.

The Brief is short tonight - going to celebrate - get some sleep - then another big game!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Another thought - will St Joseph’s be playing in this tournament in a couple years as a D3 participant! LOL

Reaction Score
The Brief is short tonight - going to celebrate - get some sleep - then another big game!

Tell me about the close-out and PnR defense on the perimeter. It has been bad in our early games and we forced tougher shots from outside today where we’ve been burned on screens and rotations against worse teams.

C

Chief00

Tell me about the close-out and PnR defense on the perimeter. It has been bad in our early games and we forced tougher shots from outside today where we’ve been burned on screens and rotations against worse teams.
It was a point of emphasis at practice yesterday - it’s really a mental focus thing - not getting mentally lazy, fighting through guys, and or not getting caught in between. There also was a decision made to often pick them up further out. During the game KO was often telling them to do that. One thing Oregon did not do well was penetrate to collapse defense and kick. They don’t have that type of guard.

Reaction Score
- I thought our defensive rebounding was ok, but we never seem by design to want to offensive rebound. I know this is something that JC and KO disagree on in terms of philosophy.

1) Eschewing offensive rebounds to get back on defense is an NBA philosophy.
2) We actually had a 32% offensive rebounding rate tonight, which is good enough, especially since Oregon had previously only allowed around 20% orebs on the season (against weaker competition to be sure).

C

Chief00

1) Eschewing offensive rebounds to get back on defense is an NBA philosophy.
2) We actually had a 32% offensive rebounding rate tonight, which is good enough, especially since Oregon had previously only allowed around 20% orebs on the season (against weaker competition to be sure).
I don’t see how having guys in the corner on the 3 line makes for a better rotation back. I am old school - I like to see rebounds contested and even if your opponent gets the rebound they have to expend energy given our depth.
A Coach by the name of Calhoun led the nation in rebounding for many years and somehow his guys got their butts back on defense.

Reaction Score
Honest question:

We know Coach Chill has had an impact on recruiting

But I'm thinking he's having a signifcant x's o's influence in-game.

What say yous?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
M Diarra in the doghouse? No Cobb, two centers foul out, no minutes?

C

Chief00

Honest question:

We know Coach Chill has had an impact on recruiting

But I'm thinking he's having a signifcant x's o's influence in-game.

What say yous?
Agreed, but ultimately it’s KO’s call what’s implemented.

Reaction Score
Coaches got to shorten rotations - and given game plan went small - I believe Vital
played 20 minutes but was our second leading rebounder - dude has heart.
Geno played 6 against UCLA.

I agree with this. Rotations need to be shortened, it was a huge gamble by KO to go 4 guards but it worked and it worked only because we saw CV and Antwoine stepped up big time crashing the boards. So much heart. Whaley dropped down a notch today for me and is borderline out of the rotation. It should really be:

Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Onourah

Cobb, Carlton, Anderson, Polley (ehh) off bench

I like Diarra, Whaley long term but I want to win now and those 9 above have either proven they can play or need to in order to give guys a break (specifically referring to Polley for Larrier)

C

Chief00

I agree with this. Rotations need to be shortened, it was a huge gamble by KO to go 4 guards but it worked and it worked only because we saw CV and Antwoine stepped up big time crashing the boards. So much heart. Whaley dropped down a notch today for me and is borderline out of the rotation. It should really be:

Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Onourah

Cobb, Carlton, Anderson, Polley (ehh) off bench

I like Diarra, Whaley long term but I want to win now and those 9 above have either proven they can play or need to in order to give guys a break (specifically referring to Polley for Larrier)

You may be right - let’s see what happens against MSU. Their Bigs remind me of Florida’s Bigs in 2014. Scary big and strong dudes but also talented. This may be a game for Diarra but you will see how far our S&C has to go when you see us standing side by side with MSU.

Reaction Score
It’s always great to win on the road and quiet the home town fans. Love the journey.
- Yesterday, I mentioned practive was very intense and I thought it showed in how we opened the game. Carlton in particular showed some growth which was important with Cobb’s injury.
- That was a very savvy play by Vital when he was on the floor to throw it off the Oregon guy who was laying out of bounds. Vital made some big plays down the stretch.
- Gilbert is getting the rust off and inprovimg but he is a real liability at the line - I had a disagreement with Dr Hoop before the trip about Gilbert’s ability to improve his foul shooting by taking thousands of shots with some mechanics being corrected - I haven’t seen him do that - so I can only assume the shoulder or the brace or injury psychology is a factor. Chief is a guy on the grounds guy - Not an academic theory dude - go by what I see or don’t see happening. I think he is a hard worker / competitor - so I don’t think it’s character. He missed a couple key foul shots in both halves.
- Coach Chill cooked up a brilliant game plan, normally I don’t like all this 1 on 1 stuff, but there was a determination made that we could beat them off the dribble. It worked. Against team’s with quicker guards it won’t work. But, Coach Chill had the right plan for the tonight’s game.

Great win in what essentially was a road game. I was most impressed with their ability of finally close out defensively on three point shooters. I was least impressed with ball movement and free throw shooting from the guard position.

Last year's team would have given up the ghost when Oregon took the lead in the second half. This group is different and I love that.

The four-guard lineup with Larrier was a pleasant surprise. I like that HCKO is willing to try something like that. I also think that it was a statement as to where Diarra is with him right now.

Carlton is coming. That's a good thing because there are going to be games were Big Dave just can't be on the floor because he can't guard people more than 10 ft from the basket.

Good win. Let's see how they deal with Izzo and Company.

Reaction Score

On AG, I thought he tweaked his shoulder last. Looked like he went down hard on the foul and when he got up, I thought he was checking his shoulder a little.
Could be nothing but it seemed to have killed his free throws.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom