Chief’s Briefs - Morehead State | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Morehead State

C

Chief00

UConn played with energy the entire game and beat Morehead State by only 10 points. Having said that the game was fun and entertaining.
We play very hard defense at a high intensity level throughout the game, yet we do this with effort and teamwork rather than by being talented 1x1 locked down defenders.
One thing Chief loves is we try to run on every possession even off of made baskets. That’s the mindset of a true running team and Chief loves that. Coach Miller used to give Chief all the reasons we couldn’t run and push the ball, Coach Hurley is totally committed to running, it is becoming the culture of the team.

I thought Josh played really well tonight and we need that inside offensive option to free up the guards. He filled the stat sheet very well and that’s covered in another thread, so I will leave it at that.
Smith played really well, probably played over 30 minutes and is an all round player. Smith and B Adams coupled with Gilbert, J Adams and Vital provide us with backcourt depth so that we can play pressure defense and push the ball on offense - music to Chief’s ears.

We need to work on our foul shooting. The % wasn’t good and Jalen made some poor decisions on the line. On the technical, he stood on the line for a long time before being given the ball. He should have walked off the line. On another foul shoot, the ref gave him the ball but then Jalen told everyone Morehead State did not have a guy under the basket on one side. Of course, he should have stayed quiet and shot the ball.
Other guys just need to improve their shooting through individual practice.
Vital played hard nosed and rebounded well for a guard.
Cobb never seemed to get into the flow of the game and the guards either missed him or don’t have confidence giving him the ball - not sure which yet.
I though Polley was a disappointment, he’s getting good minutes but not showing much productivity.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Our 3 pt defense is what killed us. If we can improve that and rebounding, we are in for a fun, competitive season.

We didn't even use Jalen as our primary option on offense, and basically were without Yakwe, Diarra and Sid. Things will improve once those guys get integrated more. I'm especially looking forward to Sid getting out there- I think he provides us with something we don't have at the moment.

Reaction Score
Our 3 pt defense is what killed us. If we can improve that and rebounding, we are in for a fun, competitive season.

They shot 9/28 (32%). Not amazing. But maybe we could have run them off the line a bit better a few times.

Their transition points, offensive rebounds, and FTs killed us. Can't let a tiny Morehead team (biggest player 6'7") go to the line 15 times or grab 13 offensive rebounds. Colombia was the only cupcake last year that grabbed at least 13 orebs and that game went to OT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Colombia was the only cupcake last year that grabbed at least 13 orebs and that game went to OT.

On one hand, I'm hoping we can beat Morehead by more than 10. Then again, we went to OT at home versus Columbia last year! And folks were saying that Columbia was good because they almost beat Colgate.

C

Chief00

We didn't even use Jalen as our primary option on offense, and basically were without Yakwe, Diarra and Sid. Things will improve once those guys get integrated more. I'm especially looking forward to Sid getting out there- I think he provides us with something we don't have at the moment.

Some good points. Keep in mind though Yakwe is maybe 6-5.

C

Chief00

They shot 9/28 (32%). Not amazing. But maybe we could have run them off the line a bit better a few times.

Their transition points, offensive rebounds, and FTs killed us. Can't let a tiny Morehead team (biggest player 6'7") go to the line 15 times or grab 13 offensive rebounds. Colombia was the only cupcake last year that grabbed at least 13 orebs and that game went to OT.
Yeah, Hurley yelled at the Bigs Coach after they got like 3 offensive rebounds the last play of the game.
Shout out to Taliek - nice suit!

C

Chief00

10 points is less than 10 points in Chieflandia
Just corrected that - I make it a point not to look at any post game stats before I do my Briefs - the Briefs are all about the eye test and the in the arena feel.

Reaction Score
UConn played with energy the entire game and beat Morehead State by 10 points. Having said that the game was fun and entertaining.
We play very hard defense at a high intensity level throughout the game, yet we do this with effort and teamwork rather than by being talented 1x1 locked down defenders.
One thing Chief loves is we try to run on every possession even off of made baskets. That’s the mindset of a true running team and Chief loves that. Coach Miller used to give Chief all the reasons we couldn’t run and push the ball, Coach Hurley is totally committed to running, it is becoming the culture of the team.

I thought Josh played really well tonight and we need that inside offensive option to free up the guards. He filled the stat sheet very well and that’s covered in another thread, so I will leave it at that.
Smith played really well, probably played over 30 minutes and is an all round player. Smith and B Adams coupled with Gilbert, J Adams and Vital provide us with backcourt depth so that we can play pressure defense and push the ball on offense - music to Chief’s ears.

We need to work on our foul shooting. The % wasn’t good and Jalen made some poor decisions on the line. On the technical, he stood on the line for a long time before being given the ball. He should have walked off the line. On another foul shoot, the ref gave him the ball but then Jalen told everyone Morehead State did not have a guy under the basket on one side. Of course, he should have stayed quiet and shot the ball.
Other guys just need to improve their shooting through individual practice.
Vital played hard nosed and rebounded well for a guard.
Cobb never seemed to get into the flow of the game and the guards either missed him or don’t have confidence giving him the ball - not sure which yet.
I though Prolly was a disappointment, he’s getting good minutes but not showing much productivity.
I thought Carlton played well. Gilbert looked good at times but forced a lot of bad drives to basket. Smith and Brendan Adams I thought played very well. Im worried about bigger athletic teams as we do not rebound very well.

C

Chief00

I thought Carlton played well. Gilbert looked good at times but forced a lot of bad drives to basket. Smith and Brendan Adams I thought played very well. Im worried about bigger athletic teams as we do not rebound very well.

Good post. I am still very concerned about Gilbert’s shoulder holding up. He is much shorter than Jalen Adam’s and has much shorter arms and because of his shoulder situation doesn’t have the strength to finish strong or ability to extend his arms like Jalen to get a shot off. His height and short arms makes it difficult not to get swallowed up by big dudes inside and see his teammates. He is very quick though off the dribble and Gilbert’s improving outside shot makes him more difficult to defend.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Carlton, to me, was night and day from last year. Honestly I was amazed on his moves and putting the ball in the net. I don't believe I saw missed chippies (chipy's). Gilbert looked real good. He is ready. They definitely were like greyhounds last night. They seem to blend really well. All this assessment on one game. Let's wait and see. So far me likey. Not overly thrilled yet, but happy what I saw. Darn three pointers is this teams worst nightmare.

Reaction Score
I agree with chief"s assessment. While Josh had a solid game we need another big (hopefully Cobb) to step up. Cobb looked like he was wearing cement shoes. I was really pleased with the guard play. We have enough depth to play 3 or 4 in the rotation. The ball movement on offense was not always fluid. Hurley commented at half time that the ball was sticky. With that being said, it was nice to see the energy on the floor and in the seats. I LOVED IT when Hurley ran out on the floor to help Carlton!

C

Chief00

OT Briefs thought. I love Hurley.

Looks like he bought his suit off the rack without alterations while Taliek and Tom Moore have perfectly tailored suits. LOL - who’s the guy making the big bucks?

Reaction Score
OT Briefs thought. I love Hurley.

Looks like he bought his suit off the rack without alterations while Taliek and Tom Moore have perfectly tailored suits. LOL - who’s the guy making the big bucks?
I heard Men's Warehouse in Jersey City had a buy 1 get 2 free sale last weekend.

Reaction Score
There was one sequence in the first half that told me all I needed to know about this team and this coach, compared to last year:
The play started on the block w Carlton who kicked it out to the wing on the baseline perimeter. The ball then was quickly passed around the entire 3 point key, with crisp passes, and ended with AQ taking 1 step in, nothing but net. The teamwork, the ball movement, the pace were all a breath of fresh year. Without even looking at the box score, the result, or even the opponent, last night was a huge win for the future of men's basketball. We looked like a team, we played like a team, and thank god, we never just stood at the top of key dribbling the shot clock down to 10 to only hoist up an ill advised shot with no time left.

Reaction Score
Yes. 6’5” guy - height. His Afro maybe adds an inch. Has a decent looking body though for trench warfare.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.PNG
    IMG_1357.PNG
    297.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction Score
Energy from everyone including coach, better than last year, pushing the ball, points in the paint, yet a lot of room for improvement. The defense and boxing out has to be better. While Morehead moved the ball well, they need to work on rotations. If the team team improves over the season, and I am confident it will, we get to 20-22 wins.

No more stink face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom