Chief’s Briefs - Miami Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Miami Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Bouknight is the next one and Wow! When Chief saw him make many great plays look easy in practice early in the Fall, I knew only the great ones consistently do that! We have a go to star now.

Good to see the rebounding by committee and seeing Sid, Akok, Whalley and Josh own the boards. It’s nice not just seeing 4 guys standing as spectators on the 3 line but playing basketball instead. They cut to the hoop well and did great on second effort attempts. Josh dominated in his post game.

Danny sending a message to the starting guards and there’s no better way when the second string guys play such great team ball.

We have a bright future and to the small minority of perpetual skeptics here - The Grind Chief preaches about is working. It not all a straight line, that’s not what a Grind is. But, Danny and the staff are reeling in talent and developing a winning culture.

Akok is really surprising opponents with his blocks and living in their heads. Sid is a sub plot to that.

My thoughts on AG are that he played better today and he definitely is a part of our winning formula going forward. A couple of suggestions. First, he needs to pick up his man at half court, because he’s short and has short arms, so guys get good looks. Second, he is a great kid, Jim Calhoun speaks highly of him. That means a lot to me.

Really impressed with the development of Gaffney and Adams. These are guys who we will win with. They are guys with good basketball intelligence, who can run a decent half court offense. Their shooting too will open things up for the Bigs.

Chief, leaves you with one thought - Winning is contagious.

Bonus:
- Josh and James shot a combined 87% on 13 of 15. That’s having the right guys take the right shot.
- Give AG credit with his 7 assists, which is what a PG is suppose to do - this partially enabled the team to shoot 53% compared to Miami’s 46%.
- Rebounds, Assists and Turnovers - The game is simple. If you lead in rebounds by 8 and assists by 4 and have half the turnovers (6 to 12) you usually win.

Last edited by a moderator:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We see the shots made or missed - Danny may have additional insights of what he brings to the team - and yes I think Jim Calhoun knew something about forming winning teams - so I suggest we all listen to his opinion on a player.
Just to make sure i have this straight - your second of two suggestions for AG is that he's a great kid?

Reaction Score
That game was so lopsided, even Polley was able to get a rebound!

Reaction Score

oVJNXk.gif

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We see the shots made or missed - Danny may have additional insights of what he brings to the team - and yes I think Jim Calhoun knew something about forming winning teams - so I suggest we all listen to his opinion on a player.
I thought your suggestions were for AG? Keep coaching them up, hoss.

Reaction Score
Blocks and shots - Wow!
What has won me over w/ Akok is that he plays with boundless energy! I think i have seen him get beat down court 1x thus far. He is definitely a competitor and seems to love learning. With those intangibles, he is only going to be a beast for us in the NBE. Can't wait.

We seem to have a very nice core at this point which I didn't expect this early in the season. Geez is Bouk the real deal with the Ball!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching DH use the whole team rotations to keep people fresh and get experience for the upcoming season. They look very well conditioned and being 10 deep will give a lot of teams problems this year. Just loved the way they came out today after the tough 2OT loss and with hustle and poise put on a pretty good clinic. Lots of passing and only 6 TO's. When was the last time we had 6 TO's?

C

Chief00

I thought your suggestions were for AG? Keep coaching them up, hoss.
What Chief is saying is we have a HOF/ 3 NC ring guy say he’s a player and a successful younger coach show him respect - Chief respectfully submits, while AG has had some bad games early this year - I SUGGEST the coaches may see some things, the well intention casual fans may miss.

C

Chief00

What has won me over w/ Akok is that he plays with boundless energy! I think i have seen him get beat down court 1x thus far. He is definitely a competitor and seems to love learning. With those intangibles, he is only going to be a beast for us in the NBE. Can't wait.

We seem to have a very nice core at this point which I didn't expect this early in the season. Geez is Bouk the real deal with the Ball!
When he was at PSA, one college assistant coach told Chief, Akok is a “serious dude”. That coach was on the money.

C

Chief00

Chief’s been asked to address the question- Should James Bouknight start?

James is the most talented player on the team but why break up this winning formula? He will get starters minutes and be there when we need him. That’s what counts.

Reaction Score
Our bench won this game for us. Made our starters work harder and smarter . . . or else. Their contributions were enormous and totally matched Miami's starting unit. Miami didn't know what to do, every time they looked around someone new was on the floor and with a different skillset. Brandon was a hound dog on the ball, Sid was flying through the sky, Gaffney was actually more aggressive, and Whaley was providing inside power. Oh yeah , there was another kid off the bench that wore #2, he was pretty good also.

We may have the best bench in the Conference!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Still can't figure out why Akok was planted to the bench all of winning time in the Xavier game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom