Chief’s Briefs - Memphis Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Memphis Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

We can’t be faulted for effort and our advantage on the offensive boards told the story in that area. Sloppiness though was manifested via a high number of turnovers and silly fouls. Again, we were caught in between deciding to foul or not and we got weak fouls that led to and 1 opportunities. Needless to say, if you decide to foul a driver, make sure he doesn’t make the basket while avoiding the flagrant foul.

I don’t know the final foul shot numbers but it seemed like we followed the season’s metric where the other team took at least 100% more foul shots and won (but it turned out we just missed too many foul shots).

I though Polley showed what he could bring to the table and I want to compliment Cobb in particular for finding him for a couple of threes.

Tarin Smith tried his best but we definitely struggled to dribble up court and in the half court and I question his shot selection. Without Gilbert and Adams, Memphis could force us into careless turnovers.

I thought Cobb had a good game and displayed both his rebounding and scoring abilities. I also thought the zone protected him on defense. Arguably Cobb is one of our best passers and guys who don’t normally get passed to got the ball in scoring spots.

Sid is not perfect but is stringing together more and more of his potential into game highlights. Vitale also competed and knocked down some shots..

As Chief predicted Gilbert rode pine. Chief’s new prediction is Gilbert either comes back next game or is shut down for the year.

This season we had two games in a row where we found our chemistry but then Gilbert and then Adams went down. I think we would have carried the Tulane and WSU momentum if not for the injuries. However, it’s been beneficial to Josh, Tyler and Sid’s developments. Cobb has also improved but he’s gone next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We can’t be faulted for effort and our advantage on the offensive boards told the story in that area. Sloppiness though was manifested via a high number of turnovers and silly fouls. Again, we were caught in between deciding to foul or not and we got weak fouls that led to and 1 opportunities. Needless to say, if you decide to foul a driver, make sure he doesn’t make the basket while advoiding the flagrant foul.

I don’t know the final foul shot numbers but it seems like we followed the season’s metric where the other team took at least 100% more foul shots and won.

I though Polley showed what he could bring to the table and I want to compliment Cobb in particular for finding him for a couple of threes.

Tarin Smith tried his best but we definitely struggled to dribble up court and in the half court and I question his shot selection. Without Gilbert and Adams, Memphis could force us into careless turnovers.

I thought Cobb had a good game and displayed both his rebounding and scoring abilities. I also thought the zone protected him on defense. Arguably Cobb is one of our best passers and guys who don’t normally get passed to got the ball in scoring spots.

Sid is not perfect but is stringing together more and more of his potential into game highlights. Vitale also competed and knocked down some shots..

As Chief predicted Gilbert rode pine. Chief’s new prediction is Gilbert either comes back next game or is shut down for the year.

This season we had two games in a row where we found our chemistry but then Gilbert and then Adams went down. I think we would have carried the Tulane and WSU momentum if not for the injuries. However, it’s been beneficial to Josh, Tyler and Sid’s developments. Cobb has also improved but he’s gone next year.
Great read Chief. However, here we go with the Gilbert thing. He has been great this year. Now it will be the third year we say, "We will be great with a healthy Gilbert" Every year he gets hurt . Again, great kid and having a great year up to the injury. i hope the recruiting has been good as predicted. Can we count on a healthy Gilbert next year? Sadly, I wouldn't count on it.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a gutsy performance. Polley shot it well and Sidney Wilson showed what he could do on both ends of the court. Tarin Smith must have been exhausted with all the ball handling he did. After the first five minutes I thought we might lose by thirty. But Memphis got sloppy and we did not quit. Cobb was solid too. Proud of the Huskies today.,

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed Sid being aggressive and using his athleticism to his advantage. I think you're finally getting to see a small look into what he can be, but he's still so raw and needs to work on fundamentals and his bball IQ, two things I trust Hurely to develop.

Polley obviously had his best collegiate game, him and Sid could be two very intriguing wing players. You saw when Polley has his shot on like today, it opens up his ability to get to the rim as defenders have to stay honest with his 3 point shot. Also excited to see how Hurley continues his development.

Disappointing performance by Josh as it looked like he was starting to string good games together. I hope he rebounds next game or I'm worried mentally he'll revert to early season Josh.

I know he's a freshman and has played limited minutes, but Brandon Adams did not look like a D-1 player. To be a guard and not being able to dribble (let alone shoot) is very concerning.

Tarin and Cobb probably played to the top of their abilities as our lone seniors out there today, which is all you can ask for. Unfortunately without Jalen and AG they're just not good enough to carry a team, not their fault though.

Reaction Score
Chief, got the scoop on why Hurley was yelling at that fan?

Reaction Score
Brandon Adams looked lost out there. I'm hoping its just nerves.

Reaction Score
We can’t be faulted for effort and our advantage on the offensive boards told the story in that area. Sloppiness though was manifested via a high number of turnovers and silly fouls. Again, we were caught in between deciding to foul or not and we got weak fouls that led to and 1 opportunities. Needless to say, if you decide to foul a driver, make sure he doesn’t make the basket while advoiding the flagrant foul.

I don’t know the final foul shot numbers but it seems like we followed the season’s metric where the other team took at least 100% more foul shots and won.

It's VITAL......your continued inability to get his name right is so casual fan-like

C

Chief00

Great read Chief. However, here we go with the Gilbert thing. He has been great this year. Now it will be the third year we say, "We will be great with a healthy Gilbert" Every year he gets hurt . Again, great kid and having a great year up to the injury. i hope the recruiting has been good as predicted. Can we count on a healthy Gilbert next year? Sadly, I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks and I get your point.

C

Chief00

Chief, got the scoop on why Hurley was yelling at that fan?

Chief watched on TV too - if I am not mistaken it’s a second time this year with a fan. It may be just Danny’s Jersey Boy thing and we shouldn’t take it seriously. However, other than the time Jim thought a fan was annoying /threatening his wife do I recall Jim going after a fan - and not so much verbally LOL. Probably best to just focus on players and refs.

Reaction Score
I find myself really pulling for Cobb when he comes in. He played decent defense on Parks and Maurice today, was a beast on the boards and had 4 assists - really good passer for a big man. He is the one player on the roster who can out-muscle opponents, and I appreciate his offseason effort to improve his frame and his game.

Brendan Adams is just a terrible shooter. He is 1-for-12 in his last 5 games from the field, scoring only 2 pts. in 71 minutes on the court. Both Temple and Memphis left him wide open on purpose. He needs to follow the Kemba route and take 200-300 shots a day. At 6'4", he can be a valuable guard off the bench next year if he can improve his shot.

As for Alterique, I think he has to come back this year to prove to himself that the shoulder is okay and does not have the recurring problems of the past.

Polley was terrific today. Looks like he has his 3-point stroke back, played aggressively and he had 6 rebounds.

With some back line shot blockers next year, this team will be much improved defensively.Carlton, Wilson, Akok, and Achiuwa would put us back up to leading the nation in blocks.

C

Chief00

Brandon Adams looked lost out there. I'm hoping its just nerves.

I remember last summer hearing how Adams had very high rating grades in workouts - quite frankly haven’t really seen it translate.

C

Chief00

I find myself really pulling for Cobb when he comes in. He played decent defense on Parks and Maurice today, was a beast on the boards and had 4 assists - really good passer for a big man. He is the one player on the roster who can out-muscle opponents, and I appreciate his offseason effort to improve his frame and his game.

Brendan Adams is just a terrible shooter. He is 1-for-12 in his last 5 games from the field, scoring only 2 pts. in 71 minutes on the court. Both Temple and Memphis left him wide open on purpose. He needs to follow the Kemba route and take 200-300 shots a day. At 6'4", he can be a valuable guard off the bench next year if he can improve his shot.

As for Alterique, I think he has to come back this year to prove to himself that the shoulder is okay and does not have the recurring problems of the past.

Polley was terrific today. Looks like he has his 3-point stroke back, played aggressively and he had 6 rebounds.

With some back line shot blockers next year, this team will be much improved defensively.Carlton, Wilson, Akok, and Achiuwa would put us back up to leading the nation in blocks.

Chief also likes to have some guys on our side who can out muscle our opponents. You win games by using an advantage over an opponent - it can be size, speed & quickness, muscle or skill. When you have and identify that advantage then you play it until they stop it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If I had confidence UConn, Houston, Memphis, Cincy and Temple were going to consistently win 20+ games and get to the second weekend or FF when they make the tourney, I'd be much less ticked at conference situation.

All of those schools have strong college basketball history and string fanbases and present good television optics.

Take those five with a second tier of WSU, SMU, Tulsa and UCF and you have a conference with 8-9 legit bball programs. Which is plenty legit as a conference.

Reaction Score
Didnt get to watch the game, but listened to it online. Hard to beat a legit team on the road when your two most talented guys (and starting backcourt) are out with injuries. It sounded like Polley grew a little today, and Sid's flashes are becoming a bit more regular. It also seemed like Cobb did some good things. From the radio broadcast it sounded like we were outmanned, but played hard and simply came up short.

I like that Sid and Polley are getting lots of time on the floor. That will pay dividends next season for sure.

pj

Reaction Score
I remember last summer hearing how Adams had very high rating grades in workouts - quite frankly haven’t really seen it translate.

A lot of guys need the first year of playing experience to learn their own weaknesses, then can take a big leap in the next summer's workouts to turn themselves into complete players. Last summer, Brendan was displaying his strengths, not the things that prevent him from success.

C

Chief00

Special Briefs Bonus:
As you know, I don’t look at the box score until after the Briefs since it’s an eye test thing.
CV had 6 assists but his 7 turnovers were killers. As a team Memphis scored 25 points off turnovers to 15 for us.

Foul shots weren’t lopsided as Chief thought. The problem today was UConn shooting only 65% from the line. Sid had 7 attempts so it’s real important for Sid to spend time in the gym shooting thousands of foul shots on his own.

Reaction Score
Special Briefs Bonus:
As you know, I don’t look at the box score until after the Briefs since it’s an eye test thing.
CV had 6 assists but his 7 turnovers were killers. As a team Memphis scored 25 points off turnovers to 15 for us.

Foul shots weren’t lopsided as Chief thought. The problem today was UConn shooting only 65% from the line. Sid had 7 attempts so it’s real important for Sid to spend time in the gym shooting thousands of foul shots on his own.

This season we had two games in a row where we found our chemistry but then Gilbert and then Adams went down. I think we would have carried the Tulane and WSU momentum if not for the injuries. However, it’s been beneficial to Josh, Tyler and Sid’s e believe developments. Cobb has also improved but he’s gone next year.
I applaud today’s effort. Makes makes me believe they must enjoy playing for DH. However, the first two minutes of the second half may have been the worst two minutes of defense I have ever seen from a UConn team - and I watched Toby Kimball.

Reaction Score
Great effort today most of the time, but our lapses put the WIN out of reach.
Seems Chief's prediction regarding AG means the choice is AG's. Very curious.

Reaction Score
Special Briefs Bonus:

Although CV didn’t play a very clean game, that 7 TO stat is a bit misleading. He got called for two bogus travel calls (interestingly, a Memphis player did the same move as CV two possessions later but didn’t jump as high in the air...and there was no call). I also think he got called for a pretty weak offensive foul. So I’d put him at 4 realistic TOs for the game. Still not great, though.

Reaction Score
If I had confidence UConn, Houston, Memphis, Cincy and Temple were going to consistently win 20+ games and get to the second weekend or FF when they make the tourney, I'd be much less ticked at conference situation.

All of those schools have strong college basketball history and string fanbases and present good television optics.

Take those five with a second tier of WSU, SMU, Tulsa and UCF and you have a conference with 8-9 legit bball programs. Which is plenty legit as a conference.
The coaches are here I expect the talent to follow.

Reaction Score
Kinda getting worn out with the good effort talk. If we had AG/ Jalen it would be different talk. My gut tells me Sid/Polley wouldn't have had the games they did with AG and Jalen playing. Of course their minutes would decrease but I think thier effectiveness would as well. Without them today the ball moved. But our guys need to start understanding situational awareness. To many bad possesions on critical possessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom