Chief’s Briefs - Iowa State Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Iowa State Edition

Reaction Score
This team has answers. Sanogo and Hawkins had off nights but other guys stepped up. Andre Jackson and Donovan Clingan looked spectacular tonight in various phases of the game. Jackson though still is tentative on his shot but otherwise the post injury rust is rubbing off and he scored double figures. He made some highlight passes, defensive plays and rebounds.
Karaban is also amazingly poised for his first season. A 15 rebound differential and 15 made foul shots helped UConn overcome 34% shooting in the first half to give us a 10 point lead at halftime. Included in our rebound stats were 13 offensive boards, which put pressure on the ISU defense.Iowa State would make some second half runs but you just felt we would respond.

Our bench had 25 of our 38 first half points. Diarra, Clingan and Joey California led the offensive way.

Diarra showed what he can bring as a PG, but Newton made second half baskets for 14 points when we needed them most but without forcing things.

Bill Walton mention that UConn should give Clingan more minutes, tough to argue with that but I think Danny likes to see Adama’s foul situation before committing to Clingan minutes early.

We may be the best team in the country!!!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Newton made second half baskets for 14 points when we needed them most but without forcing things.
This is the biggest revelation from this game. Newton hit a couple monster threes when we needed to stop Cyclones momentum. Folks often like to ask who we will look to when we need a bucket at the end of the game. Equally important is who we look to when we need to stop a run. Newton is looking like our Stopper.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
One rule this year - just appreciate and enjoy the games. Who would have thought at the PKI, we would win all three games by double figures. True dominance.
Right, there were a # of people hoping for 2 wins out here, not 3.

Reaction Score
Some pretty nice statistics. 16 assists on 22 made field goals (73%). And the 4 bench players outscored the 5 starters.
Thats scary. For other teams that is. I mean seriously if you told ISUs coach that Sanogo and Hawk would combine for 6 points he would be pretty sure theyd win. Problem is no Hawk? Joe Cali and Diarra combine for 15 points. Not much from Sanogo? Clingan puts up a dominant 15 and 10 and oh yeah Ajax adds 10 points and 13 boards. Nine guys scored tonight. Nine!!! Oh yeah we`re also down a guy with over a 7 foot wingspan with athleticism to spare.

Reaction Score
Good to see Diarra producing in the minutes he got. You have to think he might have been pressing; but no, he just played team ball. Like everyone who gets in the game.
I was thrilled to see Diarra play well and really not press but just play and take what is given when it was there. Hes very important because he can keep Newt fresh. If Alleyne can do the same he`ll see some shots start falling and make an already deep backcourt even deeper.

Reaction Score
I was thrilled to see Diarra play well and really not press but just play and take what is given when it was there. Hes very important because he can keep Newt fresh. If Alleyne can do the same he`ll see some shots start falling and make an already deep backcourt even deeper.
I like Alleyne’s length on defense. When he’s in there with Jackson, you have two guys who can defend multiple positions. Diarra can be a tough guy and can handle the ball.

Reaction Score
Breaking my own rule of enjoying the moment. The next 10 days is tough with Oklahoma State and FL.

pj

Reaction Score
This is the biggest revelation from this game. Newton hit a couple monster threes when we needed to stop Cyclones momentum. Folks often like to ask who we will look to when we need a bucket at the end of the game. Equally important is who we look to when we need to stop a run. Newton is looking like our Stopper.

We have a lot of confident players who can up their game when we need it. There will be no shortage of leadership. Great thing is they mesh very well together. Hurley did a masterful job of roster construction in the offseason.

Reaction Score
Always read your intellegent observations. Bring on OS.
LOVING basketball as I do am going to enjoy the season if this keeps up.

Reaction Score
Always read your intellegent observations. Bring on OS.
LOVING basketball as I do am going to enjoy the season if this keeps up.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Reaction Score
Breaking my own rule of enjoying the moment. The next 10 days is tough with Oklahoma State and FL.
Definitely still be tuff and cud be a letdown after this weekend , but I don’t think Florida is nearly as good as they usually are and ok st Is middle of pack big 12. Still tuff P5 games tho

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Some pretty nice statistics. 16 assists on 22 made field goals (73%). And the 4 bench players outscored the 5 starters.

UConn has 7 starter quality players for 5 positions. Nice position to be in.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This team has answers. Sanogo and Hawkins had off nights but other guys stepped up. Andre Jackson and Donovan Clingan looked spectacular tonight in various phases of the game. Jackson though still is tentative on his shot but otherwise the post injury rust is rubbing off and he scored double figures. He made some highlight passes, defensive plays and rebounds.
Karaban is also amazingly poised for his first season. A 15 rebound differential and 15 made foul shots helped UConn overcome 34% shooting in the first half to give us a 10 point lead at halftime. Included in our rebound stats were 13 offensive boards, which put pressure on the ISU defense.Iowa State would make some second half runs but you just felt we would respond.

Our bench had 25 of our 38 first half points. Diarra, Clingan and Joey California led the offensive way.

Diarra showed what he can bring as a PG, but Newton made second half baskets for 14 points when we needed them most but without forcing things.

Bill Walton mention that UConn should give Clingan more minutes, tough to argue with that but I think Danny likes to see Adama’s foul situation before committing to Clingan minutes early.

We may be the best team in the country!!!

It's nice to see Chief being able to fill his Briefs with this kind of potent stuff. I'd like to see even more Diarra in his Briefs, but otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with what the team is doing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Does your 7 include former starter Samson Johnson?

Not at the moment. I guess that makes eight when he returns.

OTOH, a foot injury likely means he lost some conditioning to play huge minutes right off the bat. Hurley will have the benefit of working him back into the rotation.

The question becomes who loses minutes when he is ready? Karaban has shown he belongs and Clingan would start if not for a PS conf. POY.

UConn hasn't had this type of depth in decades, maybe ever.

Reaction Score
It's nice to see Chief being able to fill his Briefs with this kind of potent stuff. I'd like to see even more Diarra in his Briefs, but otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with what the team is doing.
I agree on Diarra, just taking it a little slow since what Jim Calhoun thought he saw at practice wasn’t good enough for some of our wonderful Casual Fans. He’s a dog on defense, pushes the ball and is a smart distributor. He will never be a great scorer, so that’s the hurdle we need to help people get over, so they can see the other parts of his game.
We have one ball and interchangeable guys who can score / it is so important that we appreciate and value the guys for their willingness to do the dirty work. As long as a player finds a way to help us win, I am happy with him.

Reaction Score
Definitely still be tuff and cud be a letdown after this weekend , but I don’t think Florida is nearly as good as they usually are and ok st Is middle of pack big 12. Still tuff P5 games tho
Chief always takes the approach of respecting but not being intimidated by our upcoming opponents. This team wasn’t built on an entitlement mindset. We come to battle every night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom