Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Georgetown Edition

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Something that bothers me about Hurley is his unwillingness to test things. Play the double big for 20 minutes one time and see what happens. Play zone for a full half and see how effective it is. Play Samson 20 minutes and see if he can be a contributor or not. This is how teams evolve and why everybody in the Big East has passed us as the season has went on.
I sort of agree. But he’s sweating it out right now. He needs this team to win and win now. It’s February and he’s going to stick with what he knows. I think we would have seen Johnson a lot earlier in the year. But it may be too late now. He has played zone but there was no reason to today. Nor to go double big. In fact, SJ didn’t come back bc Hurley decided to play Andre at the 4 for extended minutes. I usually hate that lineup, but I assume he saw something.

Reaction Score
I swear 90% of our turnovers were unforced today. And at big turning points where we could have pulled away from GTown or shut down a GTown run.

Not sure how to fix not valuing the ball / not staying laser focused for 40 minutes.

The foul discrepancy and FT discrepancy was annoying...especially given that we are now actually penetrating into the lane much better and attacking the rim much more frequently.

Akok got a ton of body on Newton during that last "block"...and thats tough to do for a beanpole like Akok :)
IDK - but maybe immediately bench an offender then put him back in.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has a floater either. He has no touch, no finesse, and no confidence. Let him play defense and rebound and let someone else bring the ball up.
Andre actually could develop a decent 3. And he’s not a bad foul shooter. It’s more mindset than a low ceiling.

Reaction Score
IDK - but maybe immediately bench an offender then put him back in.

I may be misremembering, but I think today Diarra got a real quick hook after committing a bad TO. Alleyne got pulled after a bad 3-possession sequence (Def-Off-Def) in the 1st half where he made big mistakes.

But I think you're referring to our starters/big minute guys.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AS has 17 dunks this season to date
I can't believe that stat but imagine if he had dunked half those missed layups. Food for thought AS
Newton had a good game but he is way too passive and doesn't get the ball to Hawk when Hawk has created an appreciable distance from his defender. He is not a PG and dribbles too much. He could be a really good off guard.
A road win is important but UConn should not be beating a team like GTown like it did today
But again, it's a conference win and a road victory
Huge game on Tuesday - they HAVE to beat Marquette at home

DHF

Reaction Score
Right on as usual. If Jackson only had a mid range game.
Needs to have a traditional jump shot to complement his floater. Hit , hang, and release get to the top before he releases.
If he has any thought of playing in The Association, he has to actually develop a jump shot. Must start from scratch with form and then shoot 1k a day in the summer.

Reaction Score
If he has any thought of playing in The Association, he has to actually develop a jump shot. Must start from scratch with form and then shoot 1k a day in the summer.
AJAX was suffering these same shooting problems at the end of last season too. Terrible shooting form - bad mental approach - not enough reps. And I discussed it here & also directly with Hurley. Bottomline? Hurley, the other coaches & AJ could not improve his shooting, nor his awful approach to offense in the off season, no matter how many shots AJ took. Hurley dowes not teach individual offense. The name of this here game is to put the ball in the basket. He can't & doesn't want to do that, preferring to grandstand instead (a turnover machine). AJ is a VERY exciting & athletic player, but is also not really a basketball student nor a complete player. Enjoy the up's. Bench him when he strings along turnovers - all you can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Any BE road win is a solid win. With that said, I need Boneyard therapy with certain sideline decisions rather than the on court play of players.

1) I don't understand Clingan regularly being offensively positioned at the top of the lane and higher. Put your huge asset in the lane where he needs to be defended, can receive entry passes with deep position, establish rebounding position, and receive lobs if his defender needs to help. Run a play and have him set a high pick at times, but the steady diet should be forcing the defense to guard him on the block. His recent lack of offensive impact has been our own fault in my opinion. We take him out of the play.

2) On what planet does it seem desirable to try Diarra, Alleyne, Jackson, Johnson, on the court with Clingan? Evidently Earth, but for me that seems The Twilight Zone. Note to staff: There are no shooters on the court, 2 guards that are turnover prone when they need to create off the dribble, and a guy searching for how to contribute to the team. It immediately didn't work. Who could have guessed. Never put that lineup out there again unless the intent is to foul somebody. Promise me.

3) Maybe we were satisfied by our defensive effort vs Spears, but, not even 1 zone defensive trip? Not even 1 moment to try 2 bigs? Their reputation is poor ball security. No significant effort to try the press that Xavier couldn't handle? I just don't understand not investigating certain strategies.

4) Good defense on Joey. That'll teach the son of a b***h to make a 3.

Once again I feel better. That you for the Boneyard Couch.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
AJAX was suffering these same shooting problems at the end of last season too. Terrible shooting form - bad mental approach - not enough reps. And I discussed it here & also directly with Hurley. Bottomline? Hurley, the other coaches & AJ could not improve his shooting, nor his awful approach to offense in the off season, no matter how many shots AJ took. Hurley dowes not teach individual offense. The name of this here game is to put the ball in the basket. He can't & doesn't want to do that, preferring to grandstand instead (a turnover machine). AJ is a VERY exciting & athletic player, but is also not really a basketball student nor a complete player. Enjoy the up's. Bench him when he strings along turnovers - all you can do.
You're right about him not being able to score. I dont know why he doesn't attack the basket more. That said he is a finalist for national defensive player of the year. For the entire NCAA. I feel like these Big East refs are why he gets in foul trouble. Same reason it seem like guys are draped on Sanogo and no calls.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Another thing I want to say is that I think this team has a lot of good basketball players....but not a lot of scorers. The bench adds no scoring. To me the biggest culprit is NA. You can see flashes but when he's in he tends to force it.

They need to figure out how to get the bench more involved. I think it's gotta be clingan and johnson.

Reaction Score
Turnovers get me sick. Especially throwing errant passes inside or across court. We can talk about AJ's great defense. I agree. However, in my opinion, he is a turnover machine. His passes get picked off and trying to bounce pass under the hoop in a crowd. Seems like many in transition. I have not seen all of GT"s games, however I think they played their best game of the year. I was getting nervous. Every time we took a significant lead GT kept storming back with some threes. I was impressed with Sonogo and Joey finally nailed a three. Karaban my hero for today.

coming into today, jackson was averaging 4.4 assists to 1.8 turnovers. today, he had 7 assists to 2 turnovers. i suppose that you can say that he is a turnover machine "in your opinion" but the statistics say basically the complete opposite.

Reaction Score
Right on as usual. If Jackson only had a mid range game.
Needs to have a traditional jump shot to complement his floater. Hit , hang, and release get to the top before he releases.
Completely agree. Any shot inside of the 3 point line is a floater/push shot, which very rarely go in. He needs to be working on a mid range jump shot all off-season. Not sure I’ve ever seen him take a jump shot that’s not a 3.

He was great for us today at times, but we need him to be an offensive threat if we want to make a run this year.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has a floater either. He has no touch, no finesse, and no confidence. Let him play defense and rebound and let someone else bring the ball up.
Andre is a better shooter than we have seen. It is a confidence/mental approach to shooting rather than something that can’t be fixed. He is so athletic and is intrigue by passes, both attributes, but at some point they become distractions and you need to get into the shot zone where that’s all you are locked into, with your eyes focused on the front of the rim and your brain visualizing the arch on the ball and the ball going in the basket. There is no reason he can’t be an above average % three point shooter, if he works on these things (which he will) and takes the 3’s in the flow of the game.

Reaction Score
coming into today, jackson was averaging 4.4 assists to 1.8 turnovers. today, he had 7 assists to 2 turnovers. i suppose that you can say that he is a turnover machine "in your opinion" but the statistics say basically the complete opposite.
He is a good 2.4 assist to turnover guy, who can be a 3.5 guy if he tightens up the degree of difficulty passes. Bob Cousy use to say, you don’t get extra points on degree of pass difficulty. Keep the passes simple and efficient.

Reaction Score
I wonder what Georgetowns record would be if they had someone like Shaka Smart as their coach. They aren’t great but no way that should be a team with only 6 wins, they have some talent. One of those games for UConn that was simply: avoid the Q4 loss and keep it moving, job done there.

Right. I've only watched them in our two games, but they are a LOT more talented than their record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom