Chief’s Briefs - AZ Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - AZ Edition

C

Chief00

The ghost of Glen Miller returns - UConn goes to zone and AZ hits 4 threes. Why?

- Larrier looking good on offense
- Adams filled with unforced turnovers and poor shots. Then he gets on roll. We need consistency from number 4!
- Carlton was overmatched in post in the first half and that hurt
- And Diarra isn’t tall enough to defend taller post player who can score
- In first half we had 11 points with 5 minutes left
- We played hard but reckless unforced turnovers drives and a total lack of setting teammates up with assists - hurt us yet again
- We get no fouls on our drives - why?
- Ayton was in foul trouble but did not force things and did the inside out pass for a few threes - Big time player!

C

Chief00

I think we played hard but sloppy more than inexperienced. We don’t prize the ball. We also don’t share the ball. Everyone tries to create for themselves not to get a teammate open. Walton did bring out a good point - sometimes too much talking in game day walk through and not enough shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Next year will be worse.

Exit Adams and Larrier. Enter more first year players.

Reaction Score
Next year might be worse.

Adams ain’t good enough to be a pro, I mean he can play somewhere but if he’s thinking NBA he;s dreaming.

Reaction Score
I didn't like the switch to zone either.
Jalen has yet to take the next step like 'Bazz, Walker and Boatright.
David O. looks useless as a center to me.
Larrier has to learn how to close out on a 3 point shooter. The team overall is weak at this. Make a shooter move his feet before he shoots the ball or have to make a decision to drive and pass or drive and score.

Reaction Score
Adams needs some basketball counseling. Perhaps Kemba or Bazz can be called to talk to him. It looks like something bad has gotten into his head. I may be wrong but I think its mainly 'self' frustration among other things. Plus it seems the game hasn't slowed down for him. Meaning understanding, vision, game management, pace, anticipation and of course knowing who he is playing with and against at all times. I'm not giving up on him, but he could use some damn rest and not play the full 40 minutes game in and game out.

He could certainly benefit with one more year of college ball and then being surrounded with more experienced players. We'll see.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Adams ain’t good enough to be a pro, I mean he can play somewhere but if he’s thinking NBA he;s dreaming.
Even though I know how flawed it is to say this, I keep thinking that he's good enough (talent) but doesn't play well enough (attitude, leadership, focus) to be a pro.
Wish he had it in him to make others better. Wish he had a healthy Gilbert beside him. Sigh...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

G league no problem.

Reaction Score
Adams needs some basketball counseling. Perhaps Kemba or Bazz can be called to talk to him. It looks like something bad has gotten into his head. I may be wrong but I think its mainly 'self' frustration among other things. Plus it seems the game hasn't slowed down for him. Meaning understanding, vision, game management, pace, anticipation and of course knowing who he is playing with and against at all times. I'm not giving up on him, but he could use some damn rest and not play the full 40 minutes game in and game out.

He could certainly benefit with one more year of college ball and then being surrounded with more experienced players. We'll see.
I think he thought Gilbert was the PG and he would play off the ball. For the second year in a row, Adams has become the PG even though he isn't one, especially at the college level. We need to cut him some slack because he is being asked to do more than he can for the good of the team.

Reaction Score
Next year will be worse.

Where are they going? To follow boat and deandre? They will be starting at the 2& 3 for UConn next year.

C

Chief00

Very good analysis, consistent with what I have seen in practice too.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I think we played hard but sloppy more than inexperienced. We don’t prize the ball. We also don’t share the ball. Everyone tries to create for themselves not to get a teammate open. Walton did bring out a good point - sometimes too much taking in game day walk through and not enough shooting.
Agreed, except I think we did much better tonight with sharing the ball in my opinion.

C

Chief00

Agreed, except I think we did much better tonight with sharing the ball in my opinion.
We did not get many assists and in the last several minutes we had a grand total of one field goal.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
We did not get many assists and in the last several minutes we had a grand total of one field goal.
Closing out with an 18-3 Arizona run was a killer for sure but it seemed to me prior to that we had decent ball movement for most of the game, better than I've seen this year.

C

Chief00

Closing out with an 18-3 Arizona run was a killer for sure but it seemed to me prior to that we had decent ball movement for most of the game, better than I've seen this year.
Maybe but it did not translate into made shots off of assists per the stats.

Reaction Score
We just look too inexperienced. Our bigs are a year away. Without a true leader on the road it will continue to be disastrous.
What about our bigs last year? Oh wait, that's right they all transferred.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Adams will take the next step when he can consistently make 3s. That will open up the lane for him and he'll be dominant.

UConn lost that game in the post. Ristic was just too much for Diarra, etc. 6'9 (generous) vs 7' is just too much to make up.

I thought UConn was sloppy in the first half but showed a lot of effort on the defensive end. They were in the game with about 4 mins left when Zona made a run to end it.

Hopefully they aren't too bummed about last night because they played well. Need to get rested and recouped for Auburn tomorrow!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom