Chief’s Briefs - Auburn Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Auburn Edition

Reaction Score
Wow - Big win!!!!!! Tyler stroking 3’s and Adama “the bull” Sanogo got a second wind late. But, we need to get smarter and more comprosed under pressure.

Sanogo was a force in the paint as he scored with confidence early. But, he needs to stay away from fouls and turnovers. Adama must also identify when it’s best to pass it to a 3 man. Knowing him, he will figure all that out through hard work. He will be the focus of scouting reports and teams are going to try to try to bait him into fouls because they can’t stop him otherwise.

Turnovers were the biggest hurdle to overcome today with over 20 today against a good defense. We need to tighten that up against pressure. We also need to make a team pay when they press. I thought we could have used Gaffney’s ball handling compared to the guys handling the ball. Cole doesn’t have the speed to blow by the pressure. The defense wears him down. Auburn was without one if their best players, that’s how good they are. We didn’t execute when we needed to especially other than Cole in the backcourt.

Good to face some competition to see how we measure up. Once we extended the defense after giving up some 3’s we played aggressive. In the second half we did not respond well to full court pressure and that allowed Auburn to get back in the game and go ahead. In particular, we need to work in-bounding and making them pay on the other end.

Chief thought we defensive rebounded well today but we did not offensive rebound against a tough Auburn team.

Whaley had tough defense on Smith until he broke loose late in the game. Then he controlled the game.

Hawkins had his coming out party and it was great to watch. A true pure shooter with well founded confidence. What a gifted shooting stroke and I like how he extends his arm on layups. He will learn from his key turnover.
If we can develop a consistent 3 attack from Hawkins, Polley and Cole; we are going to be tough.
Whaley and Polley demonstrated the value of experience. Chief thought Martin did ok but needs to realize he not a guard bringing the ball up on a break. Cole did a good job of controlling the game when he had the ball until he tired. Subpar games from Jackson and Gaffney hurt.
There were many fouls called on great defensive plays both ways, overall we probably benefited from it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree regarding Hawkins. He hast to learn to keep his head up and forget about those kinds of mistakes. But, count on it, fall security will be a focus for him especially at the end of games. All part of the freshman learning process.

Reaction Score
I think we put Sanogo on the foul line on in bounds when pressed. Then have guys run up the wings followed by a guy cutting from the corner to the middle. Problem solved.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whaley and Polley were the team MVPs. Whaley does the intangibles that lead to success and Polley came up HUGE when called upon - it will hopefully be a confidence builder for him because the team needs a 3 pt spark off the bench.
Gaff needs to wake up and smell the coffee - Cole cannot play all those minutes, it forces him into tired legs and not playing smart.
AJ has shown he is athletic and can pass the ball very well but he has to learn how to ball versus the big boys or he will be very disappointed as time goes on.
Sanogo was overall very good but he has to learn how to pass out to cutters when he is double and triple teamed down below - very impressed how he played with 4 fouls+ for the time he did. 30 points speaks for itself
Hawk - I'm not worried about him at all, yeah he lost that ball at an inopportune time but he isn't the only one on the team with a WTF occurrence. He will be a superstar.
Martin was strong and banged up - need more scoring from him
Akok - I don't think he is physically ready yet to play against the bigger players. He will down the road
DH - I am at a loss as to why he seems to stumble in the big games when things get tight. It appears he tightens up and loses his focus - his player management is questionable at those times - again, he needs to come to earth and admit he needs a mentor and with Coach JC no longer on the St Joe's sidelines- maybe something will happen. His father cannot help him with this because HS/Prep ball is not the same. What is it with these inbound plays that killed the team last year? No chance to work on that in the off season? The team looks like a CYO team in those situations. This was not DH's day of shining moments - not even close.

UConn should have won in regulation, in the 1st OT - have to close these games out - Lots of credit to Auburn for never giving up and their freshman star looks great when he decides to get involved and the guard who xfered from Georgia (Johnson) - he can play for me any day

It's nice to beat Bruce Pearl - the guy is a great game coach but man does he come off as a DB

A win is a win and this was a BIG WIN
On to MSU

Reaction Score
Agree, we need Gaffney’s ball handling, assuming he’s playing how he is capable of playing. Chief is very happy for Tyler. Good kid, stayed loyal to the program and his former NFL LB dad would not be please if I said otherwise LOL.
One more thing about the inbounds - Danny needs to let his guys know he guy inbounding can run the baseline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we put Sanogo on the foul line on in bounds when pressed. Then have guys run up the wings followed by a guy cutting from the corner to the middle. Problem solved.
I used that in high school-good thinking.

Reaction Score
Fortunate to win. Poor discipline at the end of regulation, first OT and 2nd OT. Danny..............how about a decent in-bounds play under our own hoop that does NOT result in a pass to the corner.........................a defender's dream?

Reaction Score
Great win. Hurley’s mishaps when things get close towards the end is still something to be desired.

Reaction Score
You'd think Hurley would have prepared out of bounds plays for Auburn. Maybe he did and the players just went numb.

Either way, you cannot pass the ball into the corner against an elite defensive team. You just can't.

I also wonder why Hurley went with Jackson so long in the 2nd half when he clearly didn't have it today. Meanwhile Hawkins was on the bench. Sure he made one untimely mistake, but his play was otherwise stellar.

Reaction Score
Jackson on the foul line passes well on an inbounds. We've been exposed now Hurley has to fix it.

Reaction Score
I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread yet but just want to say one thing.

No one will beat up Hawkins more than himself for that late turnover. HOWEVER the team picked him up afterwards and sent the message that this is a TEAM that rallies around each other. The vets responded by lifting this team up.

We lose this game every time from 2015-2020 but now we have a winning squad. I LOVE this team.

Reaction Score
You'd think Hurley would have prepared out of bounds plays for Auburn. Maybe he did and the players just went numb.

Either way, you cannot pass the ball into the corner against an elite defensive team. You just can't.

I also wonder why Hurley went with Jackson so long in the 2nd half when he clearly didn't have it today. Meanwhile Hawkins was on the bench. Sure he made one untimely mistake, but his play was otherwise stellar.
Agree 100% - go to the big with good hands on the foul line - Best Regards, Chief

Reaction Score
I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread yet but just want to say one thing.

No one will beat up Hawkins more than himself for that late turnover. HOWEVER the team picked him up afterwards and sent the message that this is a TEAM that rallies around each other. The vets responded by lifting this team up.

We lose this game every time from 2015-2020 but now we have a winning squad. I LOVE this team.
Chief loves Hawkins from my DMV trips - Bunkey and Coach Hunter - those were fun times - LOL
Good for Hurley keeping him after Hunter left. As they say in investing - paying dividends!

Reaction Score
Hawkins is such a gifted kid but just wasn’t giving the moment it’s due when he got turned over in OT. The intensity of play was super high, and he needed to have his head on a swivel and be ready to protect the ball and either be fouled or run out the clock. He didn’t do any of those things.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is such a gifted kid but just wasn’t giving the moment it’s due when he got turned over in OT. The intensity of play was super high, and he needed to have his head on a swivel and be ready to protect the ball and either be fouled or run out the clock. He didn’t do any of those things.
He’s a freshman and demands a lot of himself. He will be just fine per Chief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom