Chief’s Briefs - Arkansas PB | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Arkansas PB

Reaction Score
Must be tough to absolutely play your A game on the road and be down by double figures at the half. Then we turned it into a 40 point game the second half on 58% shooting. But, that’s their problem not ours.

Foul Shooting is mostly about who you foul. In the first half Clingan shot 3-6 (50%), while the other guys foul shot 9-10 (90%). Donovan’s foul shot technically has potential. He tends to miss the first and make the second shot when he settles down, bends his knees better and has more focus/flow in his release. On the other hand, Clingan was 3-3 in the first half from the field despite physical defense. Therefore, the scouting report will be to foul him when he has good position on a shot.

Karaban, Newton, Clingan and Spencer were our stars today. Ironically, Karaban’s finger injury/3 ball slump has only made his offense better. His cutting is elite, John Havlicek like offensive movement and offensive rebounds. And today his deep 3 ball came back going 6-8.

Stewart was the freshman who had a solid game that made a statement for playing time.

Meanwhile, 50% 3 point shooting by Arkansas PB kept it from being a complete blowout early but fell back to 40% later. UConn shot 25% from the three during the first half, before warming up in the second half to 46% expanding our lead.

As Chief posted earlier Stephon told me this week his knee was fine and it certainly looked so. He is an amazing player and can take us to another level making everyone better and his defense is amazing for a freshman.

I liked our play the second half, definitely something we can build on in Seattle. Certain guys got their confidence back and turning corner and certain injuries.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This team. WOW!!!!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I really wish guys could make FTs
IMG_3750.jpeg

Reaction Score
Castle is our best defender as a freshman. He’s so skilled and moves with such ease. He plays PG like Leveon Bell used to play RB for the Steelers; slow, under control, and attacks with ease. Such a cerebral player. We’re so lucky to have him

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Overall I'm sure there are things that Hurley can (and will) nitpick about when the team does the film session, but a pretty complete beatdown, especially in the 2nd half and what you'd like to see going into a tough game in Seattle. Liked that he gave some of the bench players some solid time on the floor, especially Stewart. It will pay off down the road for sure.

Karaban is a stud. Newton - so impressed. Spencer - quiet first half but... boom. Clingan keeps looking more comfortable every game out there. Impressed with Castle's defense. How long do you think he continues to start Ball and bring Castle off the bench?

Reaction Score
Castle is our best defender as a freshman. He’s so skilled and moves with such ease. He plays PG like Leveon Bell used to play RB for the Steelers; slow, under control, and attacks with ease. Such a cerebral player. We’re so lucky to have him
That's an unorthodox yet perfect comparison. He has patience

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Big first half for Jaylin Stewart. We have a 9 man rotation.

Watching Cam Spencer and Alex Karaban rain threes is truly a pleasure. Tough to stop when this team is playing downhill like that.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Overall I'm sure there are things that Hurley can (and will) nitpick about when the team does the film session, but a pretty complete beatdown, especially in the 2nd half and what you'd like to see going into a tough game in Seattle. Liked that he gave some of the bench players some solid time on the floor, especially Stewart. It will pay off down the road for sure.

Karaban is a stud. Newton - so impressed. Spencer - quiet first half but... boom. Clingan keeps looking more comfortable every game out there. Impressed with Castle's defense. How long do you think he continues to start Ball and bring Castle off the bench?
I’m thinking Castle starts against Gonzaga

Reaction Score
I believe that Arkansas Pine Bluff was as close as 2 in the first half and then UConn scored about 10 points in a little over a minute. Such great passing by this team. I was very impressed by Castle's defense and Ball's ability to get to the rim. Loved the rebound-dunk by Newton and a few impressive blocks by Ball, DC and Samson. Three point shooting highlights were Spencer's 5 for 6 and Karaban's 6 for 9. Fun team to watch even on FS2 on my phone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Watching Cam Spencer and Alex Karaban rain threes is truly a pleasure. Tough to stop when this team is playing downhill like that.

Go Huskies.

Almost. It's going to be an 8 man rotation but there are nine players who will be in the rotation.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Go Huskies.
OTOH, the 1st half was a warning that us being cold from 3 while the opponent is hot from deep is still a vulnerability. I imagine Hurley will address that since there's not much else to complain about.

Reaction Score
OTOH, the 1st half was a warning that us being cold from 3 while the opponent is hot from deep is still a vulnerability. I imagine Hurley will address that since there's not much else to complain about.
I think we did address it in the second half.

Reaction Score
Stewart should be able to help us when Karaban needs a rest. He looked solid in his decisions today, moving well getting himself open inside the 3 point line and he does not back down. Really like that part of his game as a freshman. Castle with his drives- just amazing. Lots of contact in the game today. APB was really bumping Donovan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Just saying in any game only eight of those nine are getting minutes.

With everyone healthy the bench is Johnson, Ball, Diarra and Stewart. Most games Stewart will be odd man out. Those other three are playing 10 or more minutes every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom