Chief’s Briefs - Arizona Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Arizona Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Quite frankly, our lack of Bigs hurt us on defensive switches during the first half. Polley picked up a couple of fouls and off of screens they either got guys open down low or mismatches with guards guarding Bigs. Eventually, we made adjustments but that created a small lead for Arizona and fouls, which killed us.

Chief did not like many of the calls and the inconsistencies on travels, charges and contact on drives. But, give Arizona credit for making the foul shots.

I liked the crowd and the effort of our players and coaches. It was a great atmosphere for a game. Chief always says - play good competition and fans will come. The school needs to get away from the cup cake pay game model and playing most good OOC games on neutral courts. That doesn’t work financially anymore. You won’t get more than 8,500 at these games, why not sellout?

Gilbert was shaky in the first half - I think he was trying too hard. Overall our outside shooting was poor. He needs to assess the team he’s playing before determining to go so deep on drives.

Carlton is 0 for 3 in terms of playing well against good teams. Not a good trend. He and the coaches need to figure out how he can contribute better in these games. Cobb had a good first half but faded as the game went on.

Sid has a lot to learn but athletically, besides strength, he passes the eye test. Still need to see more of a shooting sample.

CV played hard but as with Gilbert forced things. Jalen played ok but did not knock down outside shots. Something he needs to do.

Jeter was a tough matchup and that led to open threes as we tried to help.

The refs - don’t get Chief going. How Arizona had three team fouls with 3 minutes left in the second half is beyond me while we were in the double bonus. The travel calls were inconsistent as where the contact fouls. We also made some dumb fouls on low % shots.

We are competitive and play hard again. A good start. Too many wet spots on the floor - need more attention on that.

Good to see all the recruits line up and Akok in his UConn gear. More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
On alterique: he got nailed in the head early in the game. I wonder if that affected his 1st half performance.

I was wondering if he was seeing two rims and shooting at the one on the right.

Not a great day for him and Vital to both play super sloppy.

Reaction Score
We turn the ball over too much and our guards aren’t drawing fouls. Two major offensive issues that hurt us against good competition and a drag over from last year.

Defensively we are attacking the perimeter well but we get beat off the dribble and on rolls too often. Not guarding the paint well.

Reaction Score
When we lose in recent years it has a lot to do with stupid shots & turnovers.

Our bigs weren't as good as Zona but were good enough to win.

We have an experienced guard centric team and they played pretty bad, the game was easily winnable if they had played smart and under control.

C

Chief00

We dribble more and passed less.
On defense unless you have length at the 3 and the 2 Chief is not a big fan of switching as much as we do and Bigs hedging so much.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Actually he didn't. He clearly got is bell rung. Whether or not that affected his play is debatable but he took hard shot to the head.
He laid on the floor for a possession, never came out

Reaction Score
We need to find an alternative offense for when our 3s are not falling. I understand the player mentality that 'the next one is going in', but at some time we've got to adjust our shot selection and not simply jack up 3s when we are not making them. Had our players recognized cold 3 point shooting earlier (or if ever), we could have had a different outcome. I know Arizona didn't have a lot of fouls but our shots were not really contestable.

We are not a strong 3 point shooting team, especially against good teams. We have to find other ways to score when our long range bombs are errant.

With that said our passing wasn't crisp, and our drive penetration ended with some circus shots or careless turnovers. What I do like is that extra pass plays that Hurley has them running when they are playing as a team. I perceive that will soon be our offensive identification once we break from our bad habits from seasons past.

This game proves no matter the coach, old habits die hard. They will die when Hurley has his complete team of his recruits. I don't fault the veteran players, their mistakes and selfish game play was 'permissable' without much reprucsions or complaints.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He laid on the floor for a possession, never came out
Does that seem like he took a hard shot, or do you think he just quit?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
On alterique: he got nailed in the head early in the game. I wonder if that affected his 1st half performance.
Good point. I wonder if the ref's and coaches thought of that.

Reaction Score
8-24 from 3? Not good enough. 9 less FT attempts.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
I know I'm in the minority, but today showed me how the pipe dream of football somehow getting us into a P5 conference is killing basketball. We had a good team show up today, and the XL was rocking; just like the old days. Bring in more teams like that, i.e. Big East teams, and the place regularly sells out and brings the spirit back to UConn athletics.

Now wait to see what happens when the AAC teams that no one cares about show up. Low crowds, low fan interest, low revenues. As long as we hang our hats on this football dream, that will never change.

I hope I'm proven wrong as the year goes on, but I don't see anywhere near full crowds for USF, Tulsa, Tulane, Houston, SMU, etc.

Reaction Score
Great game today. The crowd was absolutely terrific. Hurley is a very active coach with great energy on the sidelines. He calls good timeouts and his player substitution decisions are as good as he can make them.
I think Whaley may still be nursing that ankle.

We played a good Arizona team that played very competitively with two top ten programs, Gonzaga and Auburn. They've been tested, they play tough. As a team we hung with them blow for blow the entire game. It was a very hard fought contest and really, either team could have won this game.

Individually some of our players did not have their best games but the team as a whole played very hard, and there are many very positive takeaways from this game. We played them right to the wire.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
- way too many offensive fouls
- way too many turnovers
- way too many defensive breakdowns

Reaction Score
Actually he didn't. He clearly got is bell rung. Whether or not that affected his play is debatable but he took hard shot to the head.
Not for anything, but he wasn't playing so well before he got hit in the head. So I don't think that was the reason he was so bad today.

Reaction Score
We dribble more and passed less.
On defense unless you have length at the 3 and the 2 Chief is not a big fan of switching as much as we do and Bigs hedging so much.

Probably going to have to get used to the hedging. Dan is big on having his bigs hedge. Can lead to easy baskets sometimes and fouls on our own bigs 20-25 feet from the hoop (that really stick out when they happen), but overall...just part of the harrassing D.

Reaction Score
I know I'm in the minority, but today showed me how the pipe dream of football somehow getting us into a P5 conference is killing basketball. We had a good team show up today, and the XL was rocking; just like the old days. Bring in more teams like that, i.e. Big East teams, and the place regularly sells out and brings the spirit back to UConn athletics.

Now wait to see what happens when the AAC teams that no one cares about show up. Low crowds, low fan interest, low revenues. As long as we hang our hats on this football dream, that will never change.

I hope I'm proven wrong as the year goes on, but I don't see anywhere near full crowds for USF, Tulsa, Tulane, Houston, SMU, etc.
Once again the hubris is astounding. UConn will be lucky to finish in fourth place in this conference. If you have been watching any of our conference mates playing, you will see that Cinci, SMU, Houston, and Temple will likely give more than these guys will be able to handle. The crying over conference should be over. UConn has not lived up to its preconference billing and has been actually dragging the conference down as of late (except of course for women's sports).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm asking too much but Adams had a chance to make a mark today. He was stuck on 18 for a long time. He had good looks for important shots. If he converted an "and 1" late it would have been huge. Instead he gakks the first FT. Missed opportunity for our best player, imo.

pj

Reaction Score
Once again the hubris is astounding. UConn will be lucky to finish in fourth place in this conference. If you have been watching any of our conference mates playing, you will see that Cinci, SMU, Houston, and Temple will likely give more than these guys will be able to handle. The crying over conference should be over. UConn has not lived up to its preconference billing and has been actually dragging the conference down as of late (except of course for women's sports).

Season is young, give Hurley time. No reason to be a wet blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom