Chief’s Brief’s | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s

C

Chief00

Chief doesn’t see how we shoot good enough from 3 to have four guys stand on the line and concede offensive rebounds. We don’t shoot like Golden State of recent years. I would much prefer two guys going to the offensive glass. I don’t see a lot of teams that run the break well so it’s an overly conservative approach.

Chief is definitely concerned with our shooting. One observation is most guys aren’t using a follow through motion towards the basket but rather they are short stroking the ball or pushing the ball too far.

I also saw too many rushed foul shots due to nerves or lack of confidence. What many of our guys lack is a routine at the line to calm down and get a rhythm.

On the plus side, I can see we worked at defending ball and screen action at the top of the key.

Additionally, Whaley was active and improved. I though Whaley was our best and most active “Big”.

CV played a good all round game with points, assists and rebounds. Gilbert played well but it’s his senior year and he’s not the consistent shooter he needs to be to play at another level.

Akok showed promise as did Sid at times but both are far from refined players yet. Adams is one of our best spot up shooters and for him to get playing time he will need to knock down the 3 ball.

Carlton may have gotten too bulky and may have lost fluidity but we really need to see him against other big guys.

Polley at times looks like he has a sweet shot but then in the game he doesn’t use consistent mechanics and his shot has too much variability. Part of the problem appears to be he doesn’t have a solid plan before he gets the ball. The result is a naturally fluid player playing tentative.

Gaffney is still not moving like his normal self but getting on the court is a start.

Chief going to continue not to comment on a particular player’s academics.

Last edited by a moderator:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Hi, Chief. What month/year are we at for the 2nd commit? Once my prediction of 10/14 blew by I lost track.

C

Chief00

They shot 81% as a team. I’ll sign up for that % all season!!
Valid point but Akok was 50% from the line. My 3 criticism was valid at 27%.
Chief knows this may sound intolerant but 2 for 3 or 67% from the line doesn’t cut it for a Tyler either. I know small sample size but that’s how we need to roll and rather set that expectation up front. Sid also came in at 50% (1-2).

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great notes Chief. Gilbert shot over 50% and 50% from 3. That's a strong shooting performance after a bad one vs Harvard. The line has been moved out now, and I think teams are going to struggle a tiny bit. Not just UConn. Adams, CV and Polley weren't good outside based on the box score. We really need Bouknight and a healthy Gaffney.

Encouraged that Whaley, Adams and Wilson made key contributions. I think they can be important players for us. Nobody has the ability to make a big improvement like those three, especially Sid. I expect Adams to turn into a 3 and D combo guard, who has the strength to match up with some SFs and to post smaller guards.

Whaley always had hops and very good timing on the board and blocking shots. He worked hard on his two biggest weaknesses, strength/weight and shooting. Evidently it shows. Total lunch pail guy, which is good to have.

Reaction Score
Carlton was double and triple-teamed at times when he caught it. They kinda stopped looking for him at some point.

Josh needs to be able to pass to the open man in those cases. Needs work on that.

C

Chief00

Hi, Chief. What month/year are we at for the 2nd commit? Once my prediction of 10/14 blew by I lost track.
Patience is a virtue even for the Casusl Fans. I long ago revised that date due to various factors including visit scheduling and Coach addressing health issue.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They love the non competitive First Night where everyone wins and gets a coed participation trophy

:p:pWhere can I get a coed participation and then the trophy??????????????????
This is sooooooooo non PC ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Valid point but Akok was 50% from the line. My 3 criticism was valid at 27%.
Chief knows this may sound intolerant but 2 for 3 of 67% from the line doesn’t cut it for a PG either. I know small sample size but that’s how we need to roll and rather set that explanation up front and no one loves AG character more than Chief.

Even casual fans know it is beyond irrationality to whine at someone going 2 for 3 from the line.

Reaction Score
I thought he did fine passing out of the block.
Yeah, I agree. He didn't try to force anything tonight, just made the easy pass, quickly and effectively. Got an open three out of it at the 1:03 mark here:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting forever for Chief’s Briefs! Thank you for bringing the goods as always Chief!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom