Chief’s Brief’s - Villanova | The Boneyard

Chief’s Brief’s - Villanova

C

Chief00

Villanova drained 15 threes against our zone defense. We made 8 threes - and that accounts for the 21 point difference. You need shooters to win and many of our guys can’t even shoot 50% in warm-ups when they should be making 70% - 80% of their shots.

Rebounding was the other thing that killed us - Villanova had a 48-32 margin including 16 back breaking offensive rebounds.

A number of casual fans disagreed with my Larrier comments before the game. So here we are several hours after a 20 point loss, a game in which he was a non factor. Were we better off playing him long term despite Terry not practicing this week? Would he have benefited from practice? What type of message does this send the team about not practicing? Was it worth lowering our standards?

Two guys hit 10 0f Nova’s 15 threes. Did we do anything to make life difficult on these two dudes - pick up at half court and take their legs away etc. I mostly did not see any adjustment.
Carlton showed sone sound fundamentals - he catches the ball fairly well and he actual has some decent post moves. Needs to get stronger and more explosive. Hope for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’ll give you credit. You’ll work harder at spinning your nonsense than Ollie does at recruiting.

Yes, today the issue was playing Larrier when he hadn’t practiced.

That’s the takeaway.

One note btw - picking up the shooters at midcourt is great and all - except for when they get their looks off offensive rebounds kicked out. Maybe less effort on the defensive glass was the answer.

C

Chief00

I’ll give you credit. You’ll work harder at spinning your nonsense than Ollie does at recruiting.

Yes, today the issue was playing Larrier when he hadn’t practiced.

That’s the takeaway.

One note btw - picking up the shooters at midcourt is great and all - except for when they get their looks off offensive rebounds kicked out. Maybe less effort on the defensive glass was the answer.

I have said consistently our biggest problem is lacking game changing talent, who can score. Especially, when we try to run our poor man’s version of a pro offense. Having said that, you do play with the guys that you have - and hence my breakdown focuses on the game that just took place.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have said consistently our biggest problem is lacking game changing talent, who can score. Especially, when we try to run our poor man’s version of a pro offense. Having said that, you do play with the guys that you have - and hence my breakdown focuses on the game that just took place.

Thank heavens the casual fan had someone to let them know 3 pt shooting is important.

Any more updates from four hours ago that we already know?

Reaction Score
We don't have reliable shooters that can consistently hit open shots, which we get plenty of. That has been true for two seasons. What do you suggest Chief?

C

Chief00

Thank heavens the casual fan had someone to let them know 3 pt shooting is important.

Any more updates from four hours ago that we already know?

It’s a simple game - I think you feel it’s more complicated than it is. When the 3 margin is 21 points and you lose by 20 - yeah it’s a major reason you lost.

C

Chief00

We don't have reliable shooters that can consistently hit open shots, which we get plenty of. That has been true for two seasons. What do you suggest Chief?

Thanks Palatine - I will field this question - recruits who can shoot need to be prioritized in recruiting. While you can improve someone’s shot - especially if they are coachable and dedicated to practice on their own, so much is already baked in - the shot is already there or not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s a simple game - I think you feel it’s more complicated than it is. When the 3 margin us 21 points and you lose by 20 - yeah it’s a major reason you lost.

Your entire persona is based on making simple things more complicated than they are.

Btw I didn’t disagree they can’t shoot - I pointed out the casuals already know. You should use your super insider position to get better info than shooting is important.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks Palatine - I will field this question - recruiters usually need to be prioritized in recruiting. While you can improve someone’s shot - especially if they are coachable and dedicated to practice on their own but so much is already baked in - the shot is already there.

Recruit better shooters. I think you mean shooters.

#thankschief

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll say this about shooting.

Only game I've attended past two seasons was game at Auburn.
Got there plenty early to watch team shoot around. I was amazed)surprised/shocked at how bad the team was at just shooting.
Normally even below average shooters look decent in shoot arounds. And it wasn't just that they missed. The line on their shots was off. Trajectory was off. I think Vital was the only guy I saw make more than two in a row in warm ups.

Reaction Score
The questions I was asking myself during the game:
  • Everyone knew coming in Villanova was a great 3 point shooting team...so a 2-3 zone was the solution? It worked when Nova missed open shots to start the game but why stay in it when they started to hit?
  • Why are you subbing out Vital, Whaley, and Carlton, for Polley, Dave O, and Anderson so early in the game?
  • Nova is starting to extend their lead to double digits, why has a timeout not been called yet to regroup?
  • Why is Jalen still in the game when it is out of hand? Does he need to play 40 minutes in a blow out?

Reaction Score
Villanova drained 15 threes against our zone defense. We made 8 threes - and that accounts for the 21 point difference. You need shooters to win and many of our guys can’t even shoot 50% in warm-ups when they should be making 70% of their shots.

Rebounding was the other thing that killed us - Villanova had a 48-32 margin including 16 back breaking offensive rebounds.

A number of casual fans disagreed with my Larrier comments before the game. So here we are several hours after a 20 point loss, a game in which he was a non factor. Were we better off playing him long term despite Terry not practicing this week? Would he have benefited from practice? What type of message does this send the team about not practicing? Was it worth lowering our standards?

Two guys hit 10 0f Nova’s 15 threes. Did we do anything to make life difficult on these two dudes - pick up at half court and take their legs away etc. I mostly did not see any adjustment.
Carlton showed sone sound fundamentals - he catches the ball fairly well and he actual has some decent post moves. Needs to get stronger and more explosive. Hope for the best.

I think we can do without “chiefs briefs” for a while

Reaction Score
I’m starting to think Chief is actually Kevin Ollie or one of his family members.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why are you subbing out Vital, Whaley, and Carlton, for Polley, Dave O, and Anderson so early in the game?
That is a great question and something Ollie has been doing for years. His sub patterns early are mind boggling and absolutely kill us. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Got there plenty early to watch team shoot around. I was amazed)surprised/shocked at how bad the team was at just shooting.
Normally even below average shooters look decent in shoot arounds. And it wasn't just that they missed. The line on their shots was off. Trajectory was off. I think Vital was the only guy I saw make more than two in a row in warm ups.
Maybe they all need glasses?????

C

Chief00

I couldn’t agree more - warm up shooting is terrible as is practice.

C

Chief00

That is a great question and something Ollie has been doing for years. His sub patterns early are mind boggling and absolutely kill us. I don't get it.
That was the turning point - it may have come regardless but that started the downward trajectory.

C

Chief00

I think we can do without “chiefs briefs” for a while

So your second message on this forum is to get rid of someone who has been posting for years. Welcome abroad, you are like someone new moving into the neighborhood and telling everyone they don’t know how to mow their lawns.

Reaction Score
The questions I was asking myself during the game:
  • Everyone knew coming in Villanova was a great 3 point shooting team...so a 2-3 zone was the solution? It worked when Nova missed open shots to start the game but why stay in it when they started to hit?
  • Why are you subbing out Vital, Whaley, and Carlton, for Polley, Dave O, and Anderson so early in the game?
  • Nova is starting to extend their lead to double digits, why has a timeout not been called yet to regroup?
  • Why is Jalen still in the game when it is out of hand? Does he need to play 40 minutes in a blow out?
I agree with you 100%! Last year’s team was flawed, this year’s team is flawed, but I argue that if Ollie could coach, these teams would be serviceable. Not great UConn teams, but not this embarrassment. Ollie was not ready to take over this program, many including myself wanted someone with more experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom