Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

First, my prayers are with Jalen. I hope the knee is better than it appeared as Jalen left the court. I know Jalen sometimes disappoints on the court but I can honestly say he has always been respectful and friendly to me. I am rooting for him. He is also very talented and often doubled teamed.

Quite frankly, without our two best players the talent gap becomes extremely apparent. When fans ask Chief how many new players Danny needs to add this year and next year - they are often surprised at Chief’s numbers. In short, we need to add a ton of new guys.

With our two best players injuried, I am not going to overanalyze this mismatch.

Temple killed us at the 3 line and their guards controlled the game. In the context of a lopsided game some of our guys had some good flashes - Josh, Cobb and CV. But, of course no where near enough. Josh was active but he still has trouble consistently finishing strong. Having said that, he is a double/double guy tonight.

Of course, circumstances change but Chief’s 2018/2019 key metric holds true - Temple has about a 200% foul shooting advantage in this loss.

We shot better the second half but we couldn’t stop Temple. I will give the guys credit for not quitting.

Chief mentioned when Gilbert first went down that Chief was not comforted with UConn’s track record on handling shoulder situations. So here we are 3 games later and Gilbert is still out and with Jalen out now does that make it more or less likely for Gilbert to return sooner? My wild guess is less likely despite going through warmups today.

Reaction Score
We're getting to rock bottom on the depth chart so the rest of the season is about prepping for next year..........see who we can rely on going forward and who needs a heart to heart talk.

Hope Jalen ok and can make another appearance this year and not as bad as it appeared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't win when your 2 best players dont play much or at all.

With that said, I agree chief we need alot of new talent. PF starter and back up. SF starter and a combo SF/2G. Sid is ok but doest do much but jump right now. Need a center to start or really push Josh.

Basically every position.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

We're getting to rock bottom on the depth chart so the rest of the season is about prepping for next year.....see who we can rely on going forward and who needs a heart to heart talk.

Hope Jalen ok and can make another appearance this year and not as bad it appeared.

Agree.

Reaction Score
"It's all Jalen's fault guys, he just doesn't care."

But in all seriousness I hope he's okay and it's nothing too bad. Actually said a little prayer for him, hopefully we get some good news for the kid.

Reaction Score
I was content with Josh. If he continues to develop, with AG and CV our main needs will be PF (Akok) and a SF. Not content with Polley or Sid at this point. Time to come on home Precious.

Reaction Score
Was strangely optimistic for us to grab a good road win tonight. Things didn't go our way from the tip with Temple making every jumper they took. Jalen going down was pretty much confirmation that we were in for one of those nights. Time to see what we got for next year from players currently on the roster and with AG taking lead (seems like he'll be back next game).

Reaction Score
Polley b Adams Sid and Tarin were awful tonight. Carlton and Cobb played well together fir first time ever. i kno Cobb can’t play d but at least he can do some stuff offensively to keep defenses honest. Polley brings neither defense nor offense. Cobb Shud start with Carlton Sunday. Why not. Switch it up The nightmare of the past few years continues .... when will this brutal stretch of uconn hoops end? Only positive was Carlton has improved incredibly past 6-7 games - granted it was in the second half - but still I like what I see - everything else nightmare. Grasping for straws here but hoping Jalen comes back in a few weeks , Carlton/Cobb continue to improve and AG comes back strong and make a tourney push- only shot we got

Reaction Score
First, my prayers are with Jalen. I hope the knee is better than it appeared as Jalen left the court. I know Jalen sometimes disappoints on the court but I can honestly say he has always been respectful and friendly to me. I am rooting for him. He is also very talented and often doubled teamed.

Quite frankly, without our two best players the talent gap becomes extremely apparent. When fans ask Chief how many new players Danny needs to add this year and next year - they are often surprised at Chief’s numbers. In short, we need to add a ton of new guys.

With our two best players injuried, I am not going to overanalyze this mismatch.

Temple killed us at the 3 line and their guards controlled the game. In the context of a lopsided game some of our guys had some good flashes - Josh, Cobb and CV. But, of course no where near enough. Josh was active but he still has trouble consistently finishing strong. Having said that, he is a double/double guy tonight.

Of course, circumstances change but Chief’s 2018/2019 key metric holds true - Temple has about a 200% foul shooting advantage in this loss.

We shot better the second half but we couldn’t stop Temple. I will give the guys credit for not quitting.

Chief mentioned when Gilbert first went down that Chief was not comforted with UConn’s track record on handling shoulder situations. So here we are 3 games later and Gilbert is still out and with Jalen out now does that make it more or less likely for Gilbert to return sooner? My wild guess is less likely despite going through warmups today.
Disagree on Carlton. Yes, he missed a couple but made a lot more and got fouled on a few. He even tipped in a couple misses by Polley. Definitely our bigs are the best talent left with CV. Tarin and Brendan are really just backups who should be seeing as little as time as possible but due to the injuries they and Sid saw too much time.

C

Chief00

Disagree on Carlton. Yes, he missed a couple but made a lot more and got fouled on a few. He even tipped in a couple misses by Polley. Definitely our bigs are the best talent left with CV. Tarin and Brendan are really just backups who should be seeing as little as time as possible but due to the injuries they and Sid saw too much time.

Don’t disagree and I did say he was one of the bright flashes and hit a double /double. Chief is another who would like to see more Cobb and Josh together.

Reaction Score
Don’t disagree and I did say he was one of the bright flashes and hit a double /double. Chief is another who would like to see more Cobb and Josh together.

Looked like Hurley was experimenting with that at the end of the game. It's possible the inside game could become the strength of this team.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Carlton and Cobb combined for 31 & 18. Thats 2x 25 at the 5.
I liked it. I was wondering when the three guard line up was going to take a breather. Sadly I didn't want it this way with Jalen going out. I was impressed. Josh was a 100% different player in the second half.

C

Chief00

While our upside will be limited without our two best players, our identity could change. I would like to see a lot more gang rebounding. Start that identity for next year. Polley has got to get on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Why is everyone acting like AG is deff not playing Sunday? I’ll I thought for sure he was gonna play tonight after sitting against ecu.

C

Chief00

Why is everyone acting like AG is deff not playing Sunday? I’ll I thought for sure he was gonna play tonight after sitting against ecu.

Chief will take this one. With Jalen Adam’s injury the cost/benefits calculation has changed for Gilbert’s return. Now that there is less upside, the argument for rushing Gilbert back becomes weaker. In the next 48 - 72 hours we will have a better idea where both of these situations stand.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I couldn’t watch the game but kept refreshing game ADT the first half. Don’t see the foul shot disparity in this game and not sure what you are talking about. We had two double doubles and lost without our two best players. Our new two best players did what they could in the second half it would seem.

Reaction Score
Team isn't very good, especially without Jalen and AG, but it seems like the effort is still there and they're playing hard. Good to see they haven't mailed it in and maybe they'll have a nice upset in the AAC. I think that's the goal for the remainder of the season.

BTW, B Adams has no offensive skills at all, all he does is dribble and pass. I know he's just a frosh, but I hope he's not in the long term plans.

Reaction Score
Chief will take this one. With Jalen Adam’s injury the cost/benefits calculation has changed for Gilbert’s return. Now that there is less upside, the argument for rushing Gilbert back becomes weaker. In the next 48 - 72 hours we will have a better idea where both of these situations stand.
Assuming there is no real injury & was just soreness that has subsided I would still like to see AG on the floor again this season for a couple of games & AAC tourney, don't need that cloud hanging in the off-season. Can't treat him with kid gloves if he supposed to be #1 guy next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can't win when your 2 best players dont play much or at all.

With that said, I agree chief we need alot of new talent. PF starter and back up. SF starter and a combo SF/2G. Sid is ok but doest do much but jump right now. Need a center to start or really push Josh.

Basically every position.

I'm certainly not giving up on Sid at the SF spot. He has to improve his shooting, but he's working on it. His positional D can get better, and his handle. His athleticism and shot blocking instincts are plus level now.
  • Akok is ideal at the PF. Can shoot and is a tremendous shot blocker. Given the way Josh has improved, a lineup of Josh, Akok and Sid should put us in the top ten in blocked shots. Hopefully another 5 will help as well.
  • Boughknight is your combo SG/SF, perfect size to allow us to play big with him at SG or small with him at SF.
  • Gaffney adds more height at PG and another shooter.
My biggest complaint about Ollie's recruiting was straight lack of talent, but that he brought in guys who don't really complement each other very well. There didn't seem to be much thought process behind it.

You can see with Hurley that he has a clear end state team makeup he's looking for. Multi-skill guys who can dribble, shoot and defend with more height on the perimeter. It started with Adams, who will be a key player by the time he's a junior. 6'5" combo guard with a strong frame. Add 6'7" Sid. 6'5-6" Boughknight, Gaffney at 6'4". Akok a skilled guy at 6'9". Polley, if he improves can factor in as well at 6'8" or so. It starts to look more like Villanova and the Celtics. Tre Mitchell would be a great fit at the 5. Obviously Precious would be ideal.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly not giving up on Sid at the SF spot. He has to improve his shooting, but he's working on it. His positional D can get better, and his handle. His athleticism and shot blocking instincts are plus level now.
  • Akok is ideal at the PF. Can shoot and is a tremendous shot blocker. Given the way Josh has improved, a lineup of Josh, Akok and Sid should put us in the top ten in blocked shots. Hopefully another 5 will help as well.
  • Boughknight is your combo SG/SF, perfect size to allow us to play big with him at SG or small with him at SF.
  • Gaffney adds more height at PG and another shooter.
My biggest complaint about Ollie's recruiting was straight lack of talent, but that he brought in guys who don't really complement each other very well. There didn't seem to be much thought process behind it.

You can see with Hurley that he has a clear end state team makeup he's looking for. Multi-skill guys who can dribble, shoot and defend with more height on the perimeter. It started with Adams, who will be a key player by the time he's a junior. 6'5" combo guard with a strong frame. Add 6'7" Sid. 6'5-6" Boughknight, Gaffney at 6'4". Akok a skilled guy at 6'9". Polley, if he improves can factor in as well at 6'8" or so. It starts to look more like Villanova and the Celtics. Tre Mitchell would be a great fit at the 5. Obviously Precious would be ideal.
I'm not sold on Sid at SF but with the injuries we should be seeing him a lot more there the rest of the year. Hopefully his handle(weakest part of his game by far) improves. Also, he doesn't have the best basketball instincts and hopefully game time improves that. I think his shot has great form but because of his bad handle and bad basketball instincts he normally takes some god awful shots. Hopefully he improves in that as he has the elite athleticism to play at a very high level there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom