Chicago Sky @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/05/18 | The Boneyard

Chicago Sky @ Las Vegas Aces - 7/05/18

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There’s this really fast player wearing #4 for Las Vegas. She’s so fast, I can’t read her jersey. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby only played 9 minutes. Anyone know why?

WNBA stat line says 12:30 minutes. No physical reason. Sadly, she is not moving the needle enough. :(

Reaction Score
WNBA stat line says 12:30 minutes. No physical reason. Sadly, she is not moving the needle enough. :(

The coach is having her play against much taller players and she cannot defend them. Also she is missing way to many layups. Coach Stocks has messed this team up. Dolson is always at the top key setting screens. hardly ever down in the low post. Diamond is a very athletic player , but is not playing team ball. Slootie is a little off this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby was defending Wilson last night. In college, that was Geno’s best option. In the pros, a true PF should be guarding her.

Though Moriah player limited minutes last night, I thought she looked very good. On consecutive possessions, she penetrated and fed the ball to Wilson for made jump shots. When Mo puts the ball on the floor, defenders fall like bowling pins.

Reaction Score
Gabby was defending Wilson last night. In college, that was Geno’s best option. In the pros, a true PF should be guarding her.

Though Moriah player limited minutes last night, I thought she looked very good. On consecutive possessions, she penetrated and fed the ball to Wilson for made jump shots. When Mo puts the ball on the floor, defenders fall like bowling pins.
The Sky do not have a tru power forward. That has been a need in the last two drafts which Coach Stocks did not address. She took Coates a center, when she she had 3 centers on the team already. In this years draft apparently she felt Gabby was the answer.

Reaction Score

That’s the major difference from the W and College. Gabby is a terrific defender regardless, but it’s much harder defending a bigger and stronger player on and island versus playing team defense with 4 other players in help behind you. Her athleticism is unmatched but she really needs to develop her perimeter game to become a true SF because I don’t think PF is for her. She’s still having a good rookie season and I’m looking forward to seeing her development throughout her professional career!

Reaction Score
The Sky do not have a true power forward. That has been a need in the last two drafts which Coach Stocks did not address. She took Coates a center, when she she had 3 centers on the team already. In this years draft apparently she felt Gabby was the answer.
If the WNBA has SO few positions available, and there are SO many good players out there, then where are they?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If the WNBA has SO few positions available, and there are SO many good players out there, then where are they?

Isn't Parker a 4 for Chicago or is she more of a 5? She's been very good this season. Gabby should be coming off the bench. In an ideal world, you need a 4 player to be able to hit a midrange jumper and defend 6-4 and 6-5 players on the block. Gabby hasn't been able to do either so far.

Collier and Turner would be good picks for this team. Collier has good touch and is long enough to defend opposing posts, while Turner is a better defensive player, although more raw offensively. I think their biggest issue is they have a lot of okay/good posts, but they have limitations and just don't stack up against the best of the best. You look at Dolson/Parker/Williams/Coates/Ndour, and those players just don't stack up skill wise or athletically to:
LA-Parker/Nneka
Minny-Fowles/Brunson
Seattle-Howard/Stewart
Dallas-Cambage/Johnson
Washington-EDD/Sanders
Vegas-Wilson/whoever is next to her
Phoenix-Griner/Lyttle
Connecticut-Jones/Ogwumike/Thomas

Their guard play is solid, but they don't have athletic players across the board to compete defensively. They need quicker posts and quicker guards. There's a reason why they give up almost 4ppg more than any other team in the league.

Reaction Score
Collier no, but not sure who Turner is , what college does she play for? Dolson was really good last year and they had no power forward. Parker is a five.

Reaction Score
Collier no, but not sure who Turner is , what college does she play for? Dolson was really good last year and they had no power forward. Parker is a five.
Turner refers to Brianna Turner of ND. Between Collier and Turner, Turner is the better prospect at the 4 position. I see Collier as a 3 in the WNBA. She should be a 3 that takes other 3's down low into the paint and use her post moves on them. Posting up other players around her height will be easier than posting up 6'3+ WNBA players.

I believe Collier is the better player, but she should not be drafted for the 4 position.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Isn't Parker a 4 for Chicago or is she more of a 5? She's been very good this season. Gabby should be coming off the bench. In an ideal world, you need a 4 player to be able to hit a midrange jumper and defend 6-4 and 6-5 players on the block. Gabby hasn't been able to do either so far.

I think their biggest issue is they have a lot of okay/good posts, but they have limitations and just don't stack up against the best of the best. You look at Dolson/Parker/Williams/Coates/Ndour, and those players just don't stack up skill wise or athletically

Their guard play is solid, but they don't have athletic players across the board to compete defensively. They need quicker posts and quicker guards. There's a reason why they give up almost 4ppg more than any other team in the league.

Great take, I agree with all of this.

Parker plays both 4 and 5. Besides Dolson, Parker gets the most minutes at center, but they'll also play them together with Parker at 4. I think she probably is a better fit at 5, though.

Dolson is good. Parker is good. Gabby is...figuring it out. I still think her best fit is at 3 in this league but her jumper needs a lot of work if she is to do that. She's just too small to guard many WNBA 4s. Ndour is bad. Coates is not good either, at least not yet.

Chicago doesn't have a franchise player and they don't have depth. They have 6-7 solid players. If everyone plays well on the same night, they can win, but if a couple players are off it becomes difficult.

Reaction Score

Collier and Turner would be good picks for this team. Collier has good touch and is long enough to defend opposing posts, while Turner is a better defensive player, although more raw offensively. I think their biggest issue is they have a lot of okay/good posts, but they have limitations and just don't stack up against the best of the best. You look at Dolson/Parker/Williams/Coates/Ndour, and those players just don't stack up skill wise or athletically to:
LA-Parker/Nneka
Minny-Fowles/Brunson
Seattle-Howard/Stewart
Dallas-Cambage/Johnson
Washington-EDD/Sanders
Vegas-Wilson/whoever is next to her
Phoenix-Griner/Lyttle
Connecticut-Jones/Ogwumike/Thomas

Great take, I agree with all of this.

Parker plays both 4 and 5. Besides Dolson, Parker gets the most minutes at center, but they'll also play them together with Parker at 4. I think she probably is a better fit at 5, though.

Dolson is good. Parker is good. Gabby is...figuring it out. I still think her best fit is at 3 in this league but her jumper needs a lot of work if she is to do that. She's just too small to guard many WNBA 4s. Ndour is bad. Coates is not good either, at least not yet.

Chicago doesn't have a franchise player and they don't have depth. They have 6-7 solid players. If everyone plays well on the same night, they can win, but if a couple players are off it becomes difficult.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Turner physical enough for power forward spot. Coastes was such a poor choice to draft when the team had at one time last year 5 centers. Gabby should not be starting, Parker should. But the teams skill set offensive and defensive are not working well together withe the starting 5. There's no cohesive play like I saw last year. Too much dribbling by Diamond, I like how she attacks the basket. Stef is taking way too many threes, and not enough in the low post. Slootie seems little off this year. Allie on defense has had problems, offense is good. Like Parker good rebounder. Gabby is work in progress. She came to Uconn as a guard, ended up playing center, now power forward.

Reaction Score
Chicago not only lacks a PF but also a Center, as Dolson only seems interested in running around the perimeter to set screens. Parker isn’t consistent enough, and I wouldn’t really call her a center or a PF, but a strange mix of the two. Without a PF and center, Chicago has no chance to be an elite team, even with their good guard play. Deshields continues to garner flack, but I think she has to be aggressive in order for Chicago to have a chance to win. The two white girl guards can’t do it all, and Deshields can get to the rim pretty much at will. If it weren’t for Wilson, I think deshields would be front runner for rookie of the year. Her size and speed at the guard posistion means that she will be in the league for a long time.
Williams just doesn’t have the offense to be a starting player for the WNBA, much less a starting PF in the WNBA. Although she has the athleticism to potentially become a great player, she obviously greatly lacks confidence right now. At UCONN Williams either drove from the high post, shot the midrange from the high post, or passed and screened. I think that because the high post is no longer viable for her, she seems lost, and now spends most possessions screening for others. She needs to try and become a guard and take the ball to the basket, but that’s easier said than done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom