Chernobyl (HBO) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chernobyl (HBO)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm 3 shows in. Loving it. Just such a gripping story, and they made it very human. And the way the USSR operated was very effectively portrayed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For whatever reason I had it in my head that last night was the finale... glad to be wrong there.

Reaction Score
Very enjoyable series. I was 15 when it happened, and like most 15 year olds, just didn't realize how serious it was. I started looking around on you tube and came across this video. It really is amazing how different the news was back then.

I'm the same age and I was living in Rome during that time. I spent all day outside the day its cloud floated over Italy.

Reaction Score
There is a Chernobyl Podcast that is really good that is hosted by one of those NPR guys and the Producer of the series. It delivers additional insights following each episode. You can find it in all of the usual places that podcasts are found. I highly recommend it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dyatlov is a motherscalitoer. I don't know what ultimately killed him, but he deserved to die of ass cancer.

A lot of people had to screw up for Chernobyl to happen, but it did happen. The Japanese do just about everything right, and Fukishima still happened.

Reaction Score
Dyatlov is a motherscalitoer. I don't know what ultimately killed him, but he deserved to die of ass cancer.

A lot of people had to screw up for Chernobyl to happen, but it did happen. The Japanese do just about everything right, and Fukishima still happened.

They put a nuclear power plant on the shoreline in a tsunami zone.

Reaction Score
Really just a great show all the way through. Absolute top flight stuff, even if it didn't follow the real life events 100%.

Thought this was interesting stuff:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Really just a great show all the way through. Absolute top flight stuff, even if it didn't follow the real life events 100%.

Thought this was interesting stuff:

The writer overreacts to no one going on a suicide missions against the Soviet heirarchy. It is kind of hard to argue that the miniseries doesn't make everyone in the Soviet Union look beaten and defeated by an oppressive system. The writer of the article is complaining about individual lines of dialogue. While not precisely historically accurate, some Lagasov's testimony and the actions of Khomyuk are done in lieu of having a narrator. It works better if it is presented as dialogue, and I think that was fair artistic license. Lagasov was appropriately critical of the Soviets, so I think he should get a pass.

Reaction Score
Anybody going?

Tourists are flocking to Chernobyl thanks to HBO miniseries. Yaroslav Yemelianenko, director of Chernobyl Tour, said he expected a similar increase of 30-40 percent because of the show.

His company offers a special tour of locations depicted in the series, including the bunker where the initial decision by local officials not to evacuate after the explosion was made.

Reaction Score
Apparently we were at fault for the whole thing:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Apparently we were at fault for the whole thing:

Forbes has an op-ed that seems to argue that radiation is harmless.

I don't know who is paying the writer, but the fact that he can make such ridiculous assertions and expect anyone to believe him says a lot about the quality of our public discourse today.

Reaction Score
Fire is inherently dangerous. There are 120,000 fire deaths per year according to the data center at Oxford. That number is down in recent years. To calculate the number of fire deaths during the history of the human race would be speculative but very, very high, millions and millions. But if man never "tames" (and I use the word broadly) fire, civilization never occurs.

Like all human endeavors nuclear power needs to be based risk/reward factors using reliable, real world information.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fire is inherently dangerous. There are 120,000 fire deaths per year according to the data center at Oxford. That number is down in recent years. To calculate the number of fire deaths during the history of the human race would be speculative but very, very high, millions and millions. But if man never "tames" (and I use the word broadly) fire, civilization never occurs.

Like all human endeavors nuclear power needs to be based risk/reward factors using reliable, real world information.

Do you live next to a nuclear power plant? Why not?

Reaction Score
Do you live next to a nuclear power plant? Why not?
That has never been a consideration for me. Some people are afraid of their own shadows. Some are afraid to fly. I have found decisions based on fear are usually bad ones. As I said, decisions should be based risk/reward factors using reliable, real world information.

But to each, his own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom