Chennedy Carter or Megan Walker? | The Boneyard

Chennedy Carter or Megan Walker?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Heading into this season, ESPN decided to create some "click bait" by reranking the HS class of 2017. At the time, I thought it was silly for any number of reasons, but it certainly created some lively discussion here on the BY and elsewhere. One of the reasons I felt that it was a silly exercise is that so much of a player's productivity when they get to college depends on the team and players they play with. But ESPN wasn't particularly concerned with such issues, so they decided to drop Megan Walker down to 4th and determined that Chennedy Carter was the top player in the HS class of 2017.

Carter is a tremendously talented player, so much so that Gary Blair basically gave her the ball and let her do her thing as soon as she showed up in College Station as a freshman. In that process, he had to overlook some obvious problems. Carter sometimes loafed on defense. She wasn't a particularly adept TEAM player. When she was cold, A&M was likely going down. Megan, like all UConn freshmen, had to learn how to play the way Geno wanted, and until she did, she wasn't going to get a lot of minutes. So her freshman year had a few brief flashes and a lot of time spent sitting on the bench. While she had a nice leap into the starting lineup as a sophomore, she was playing with two first team AA's along with a couple of very talented guards, on a team who's DNA requires that everyone shares the ball.

Fast forward to their junior years. While I acknowledge that comparing players over just 7 games is as silly as reranking the HS Class of 2017, let's take a look at Carter and Megan's performance this year, just for the hell of it. In their junior years both Carter and Megan are now the "go to" players on their respective teams, so a comparison between the two is more valid. Carter is a guard who has the ball in her hands significantly more than anyone else on A&M's team. Megan is playing out of position as a PF at UConn, and has to get her touches in the flow of the offense. With that said, let's look at the numbers. I've highlighted in Bold where each respective player has better numbers, which in some cases may be the lower number, i.e. TO's.

• Chennedy Carter - 32 mpg, 140 shots taken, .429 fg%, .242 3pt fg%, ,741 ft%, 4.1 rbpg, 26 A, 24 TO, A/TO aprox 1.0, 1 BL, 14 ST, 21.1 ppg
  • Megan Walker - 37.1 mpg, 118 shots taken, .475 fg%, 472 3pt fg%, .786 fg%, 8.3 rbpg, 18 A, 19 TO, A/TO aprox 1,0, 4 BL, 7 ST, 21.6 ppg

I will point out a couple of startling numbers. Megan is currently outscoring Carter by .5 ppg on 22 fewer shots from the field. How's that for efficiency? In addition, while Carter is a guard who dominates the ball in A&M's offense she has only 7 more assists than Megan, or 1 per game.

There's a whole season yet to play, and obviously these numbers will change. But they beg the question, "Would you rather have Chennedy Carter or Megan Walker on your team?" I don't know about everyone else, but I know who I would take on my team right now. :cool:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Chennedy is shooting .242 from the arc. That doesn’t cut it. Meg is the new Lou/Kaleena (both overall #1 players).
When I looked at Carter’s stats, that number shocked me. If Carter is still shooting in the 20’s from the arc at the end of this season it will be a serious blow to any chance that A&M has to win the SEC and advance deep in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
When I looked at Carter’s stats, that number shocked me. If Carter is still shooting in the 20’s from the arc at the end of this season it will be a serious blow to any chance that A&M has to win the SEC and advance deep in the Big Dance.
Nice analysis. I would have voted for Megan Walker no matter whom you may have put her against. I always believed in Megan. Even top talents sometimes have a rough start with GENO. Had she gone to A&M she would have most probably started and play many minutes her Freshman year and you'd be writing about her leading that team. Geno is tough on talent. To Megan's credit she held on and sweated it out. Now she is Uconn's "go-to-player" . I enjoyed reading your comparison, thanks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was not complimenting either player. Just pointing out that every season ESPN picks their "fave" and proceeds from there.

I understand

I am just adding that I can at least see the merit of showcasing Arike who actually accomplished something great while Carter is just flash at the moment

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In Many ways, Megan is the embodiment of why so many top players continue to choose UConn over other schools. As good as Megan, Crystal, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia, Stewie, Mo, Tuck and many other WBB players were coming out of HS, Geno and his coaches are relentless in their efforts to get the very best out of each of these players. For those willing to make the commitment, their development both on and off the court is astounding. Geno stated a few days ago that Megan is now taking on the aspects of a pro in everything she does: work ethic, practice, diet, etc. We UConn fans are clearly biased. But really, why would a #1 player want to go anywhere else? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Heading into this season, ESPN decided to create some "click bait" by reranking the HS class of 2017. At the time, I thought it was silly for any number of reasons, but it certainly created some lively discussion here on the BY and elsewhere. One of the reasons I felt that it was a silly exercise is that so much of a player's productivity when they get to college depends on the team and players they play with. But ESPN wasn't particularly concerned with such issues, so they decided to drop Megan Walker down to 4th and determined that Chennedy Carter was the top player in the HS class of 2017.

Carter is a tremendously talented player, so much so that Gary Blair basically gave her the ball and let her do her thing as soon as she showed up in College Station as a freshman. In that process, he had to overlook some obvious problems. Carter sometimes loafed on defense. She wasn't a particularly adept TEAM player. When she was cold, A&M was likely going down. Megan, like all UConn freshmen, had to learn how to play the way Geno wanted, and until she did, she wasn't going to get a lot of minutes. So her freshman year had a few brief flashes and a lot of time spent sitting on the bench. While she had a nice leap into the starting lineup as a sophomore, she was playing with two first team AA's along with a couple of very talented guards, on a team who's DNA requires that everyone shares the ball.

Fast forward to their junior years. While I acknowledge that comparing players over just 7 games is as silly as reranking the HS Class of 2017, let's take a look at Carter and Megan's performance this year, just for the hell of it. In their junior years both Carter and Megan are now the "go to" players on their respective teams, so a comparison between the two is more valid. Carter is a guard who has the ball in her hands significantly more than anyone else on A&M's team. Megan is playing out of position as a PF at UConn, and has to get her touches in the flow of the offense. With that said, let's look at the numbers. I've highlighted in Bold where each respective player has better numbers, which in some cases may be the lower number, i.e. TO's.

• Chennedy Carter - 32 mpg, 140 shots taken, .429 fg%, .242 3pt fg%, ,741 ft%, 4.1 rbpg, 26 A, 24 TO, A/TO aprox 1.0, 1 BL, 14 ST, 21.1 ppg
  • Megan Walker - 37.1 mpg, 118 shots taken, .475 fg%, 472 3pt fg%, .786 fg%, 8.3 rbpg, 18 A, 19 TO, A/TO aprox 1,0, 4 BL, 7 ST, 21.6 ppg

I will point out a couple of startling numbers. Megan is currently outscoring Carter by .5 ppg on 22 fewer shots from the field. How's that for efficiency? In addition, while Carter is a guard who dominates the ball in A&M's offense she has only 7 more assists than Megan, or 1 per game.

There's a whole season yet to play, and obviously these numbers will change. But they beg the question, "Would you rather have Chennedy Carter or Megan Walker on your team?" I don't know about everyone else, but I know who I would take on my team right now. :cool:

Reaction Score
And, whom, do you think, will have the better pro career? Such a contrast in style and personality. Oh, and the best question....who will get drafted first?

Reaction Score
And, whom, do you think, will have the better pro career? Such a contrast in style and personality. Oh, and the best question....who will get drafted first?
Historically the Uconn grad that started had a pretty good career. Of course, there have been exceptions as a general rule that has been true. Then, on draft, it all depends what the coaches need at the time of the draft.

Reaction Score
Megan is better shooter [when open] but Carter is better at creating her own shot [in traffic]
Be interesting to see how Carter would fare at UConn, i.e. what role would she play?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan is better shooter [when open] but Carter is better at creating her own shot [in traffic]
Be interesting to see how Carter would fare at UConn, i.e. what role would she play?
If she didn’t play defense or pass the ball to open teammates, she could lead the high fives on the bench after the players on the court knocked down 3’s

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've never been a fan of Carter. I'm not crazy about people who miss a lot of shots, among other things.

I'd take Megan over Chennedy any day, and I would have said the same thing a year or two ago. I've expected Megan to be an all-American-caliber player, and I'm not disappointed that it took till her junior year.

Reaction Score
In Many ways, Megan is the embodiment of why so many top players continue to choose UConn over other schools. As good as Megan, Crystal, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia, Stewie, Mo, Tuck and many other WBB players were coming out of HS, Geno and his coaches are relentless in their efforts to get the very best out of each of these players. For those willing to make the commitment, their development both on and off the court is astounding. Geno stated a few days ago that Megan is now taking on the aspects of a pro in everything she does: work ethic, practice, diet, etc. We UConn fans are clearly biased. But really, why would a #1 player want to go anywhere else? :rolleyes:
As one of your cheerleaders, I agree. To add to this: Beyond Basketball EVERYONE on the UConn team gets a gift that keeps on giving. They learn poise (in front of a mike), how to NOT say the wrong words at the wrong time. Then they learn to gut it through. The hardest thing in life is to stay with an impossible task until it is completed and if you can handled the Geno and CD pressure and daily demands for perfection you can handle anything life throw at you
How many kids that completed the uCONN PROGRAM HAVE been in trouble??? None I know of!!!
If only this were a College program for all students. Uconn can be proud. It's like a military boot program tough but when completed you feel so good about yourself, you didn't think you could do it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ESPN is going to do what ESPN does - promote who fits their opinion of the best.

Carter is a talented player but a gunner. She is a volume shooter who looks to dribble and shoot first. But in today's world, it seems the only stat that matters is ppg.

I'll take Meg any day over Carter or any player like her. Right now Meg is a more mature, well rounded player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom